Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Newbie rebuilding a Xenon Blue '05

AL_Jazz

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'05 XLR Xenon Blue
Hello folks! I am completely new to the XLR but not to either the Cadillac or Corvette families. I previously rebuilt an '08 black cherry STS which I loved and prior to that rebuilt a C5 Vette. I have now purchased an '05 Xenon Blue base XLR and working on rebuilding it. Below are some pics when I had it delivered to my shop and some I took Friday once disassembly was started. Finding parts has been a bit more difficult than anticipated, but I am seriously looking forward to enjoying this remarkable automobile.

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

I've made a few mis-steps already and should have done more homework before starting to order parts. In my excitement to get it finished, I purchased a used '05 bumper cover and grill. Once I started reading, I could have purchased an '09 bumper cover, grill, and foglights to have updated the look. Oh well, we live and we learn. I have not been able to locate a hood, so I will be rebuilding this one until I can locate one. I have found some Roderick RW2 18x8 front and 18x9 rear wheels I am considering ordering for her. I think I would prefer the chrome Z06 wheels, but I cannot find the exact offset info I need to order the correct ones as not to experience rubbing issues. I have also ordered a Pioneer AppRadio 4 to replace the existing headunit providing updated voice navigation, true bluetooth integration and ODBii DashCommander functionality.

Hopefully this week I will be able to post some additional pics as she nears completion and will be driving her by next weekend.

Good luck with your build, damage doesn't look real bad and you've obviously done this before so it should come out fine. As far as your wheels, the offset on the stock rims is 61mm. You may have an issue changing out the head unit, the cruise control runs through the current system. Again, good luck and let us know how everything goes. Hope this info helps.

Good luck with rebuild. Hope you are going to keep the same color. Kinda partial to it. There is a member in Montana that used to own a body shop and rebuilt his XLR. He may have some insight as to locating body parts. If you decide to keep it when done we would like to see you join us in some future events.

Oh she will definitely stay this color...it is beautiful on this car and yours is gorgeous I too used to own a bodyshop and my old guys still do all my work for me. I am awaiting the bumper cover to arrive via Greyhound from CA and I will have all the pieces to get her test fitted, parts painted, and re-assembled by weekend...hopefully.

I do intend to keep her for a while and would love to join you guys at the next event! When I had Porsche 928's I was part of that community...been into Jeeps for yrs and still part of that community, even a moderator on a couple Jeep forums, but now that I have found this sweet beastie...well...all other loves are a thing of the past :cool:

Thanks for the heads up on the cruise control. So...some part of the adaptive cruise control goes through the radio? The PO replaced the original unit already with a basic double-din Pioneer, but I want the NAV and bluetooth hence the change to the AppRadio. Guess I need to get some wiring diagrams on her and see if I can figure out what I am going to need to build to retain functionality.

On a different note, is anyone on here running Roderick RW2 wheels? They advertise being the correct off-set for the XLR with a 1" lip on the front and a 3" lip on the rears. If they are what they seem, I think they will look awesome. I am not a big fan of the factory chromies.

....oh yeah...squirrel moment....

...should have asked before ordering, but since the airboxes were cracked in the impact, I ordered the Volant cold air intake. Anyone have opinions on it?

Update on the build...I finally located a factory new Cashmere dash to replace mine with the blown passenger side airbag. It shipped today so should be here next week so I can finish her up :cool:

New build pics....

She is coming along. Parts should be in the paint booth tomorrow. The guys were test fitting the hood and adjusting the new hinges so everything lined up correctly. Still some work to do on finishing the top the hood, but that was supposed to be wrapped up this afternoon.

FullSizeRender (6).jpgFullSizeRender (7).jpgFullSizeRender (9).jpgFullSizeRender (10).jpg

...and my Volant cold air intake came in today. I am getting excited!

Zenon Blue is the BEST , that is why I bought mine .....

Take a look at the web site O E Wheels LLC, they have 'import' replacement aluminum wheels for many models of Cad and Corvette . With all the body parts removed and (if) it has more than 75K miles, I would have done the 'head stud kits' with the block in the car . Taking the motor 'out the bottom' is such a PITA .

Aftermarket rims with a lip

Regarding your search for aftermarket wheels with a lip - good luck!

I had a hell of a time getting wheels with a lip for my XLR, short of going to a custom 3 piece design (big bucks). Our cars, like the corvettes, have "high offset" rims and you don't dare go with anything less than 50 mm - especially with a 10" wide rim (max for our cars). Anything less than that will have fender rub potential.

Based on the photos I saw for that brand, it looks more like a 35 mm offset. That does not sound like much (15 mm = 0.6"), it will stick out past the rear fender, if you go with 10" rims.

Here are some photos of 50 mm offset (20") rims with tires - American Racing brand (no longer made in this model)

DSCN1904.jpgDSCN1905.jpg

2" lip on rears, for reference (10" wide) - 1" lip on fronts (8.5" wide) - both 50 mm offset.

Hope this helps with your search. :wave:

Oh she will definitely stay this color...it is beautiful on this car and yours is gorgeous I too used to own a bodyshop and my old guys still do all my work for me. I am awaiting the bumper cover to arrive via Greyhound from CA and I will have all the pieces to get her test fitted, parts painted, and re-assembled by weekend...hopefully.

I do intend to keep her for a while and would love to join you guys at the next event! When I had Porsche 928's I was part of that community...been into Jeeps for yrs and still part of that community, even a moderator on a couple Jeep forums, but now that I have found this sweet beastie...well...all other loves are a thing of the past :cool:

Thanks for the heads up on the cruise control. So...some part of the adaptive cruise control goes through the radio? The PO replaced the original unit already with a basic double-din Pioneer, but I want the NAV and bluetooth hence the change to the AppRadio. Guess I need to get some wiring diagrams on her and see if I can figure out what I am going to need to build to retain functionality.

On a different note, is anyone on here running Roderick RW2 wheels? They advertise being the correct off-set for the XLR with a 1" lip on the front and a 3" lip on the rears. If they are what they seem, I think they will look awesome. I am not a big fan of the factory chromies.

Did you find Headlights?

Take a look at the web site O E Wheels LLC, they have 'import' replacement aluminum wheels for many models of Cad and Corvette . With all the body parts removed and (if) it has more than 75K miles, I would have done the 'head stud kits' with the block in the car . Taking the motor 'out the bottom' is such a PITA .

David, only the left (drivers) headlight was damaged and I was able to locate a used one.

AzGeo, I am now taking my time looking at my various options on the wheels, and OEWHEELS is one of the places that has the chrome Z06 wheels. I realized too late a little more research prior to ordering replacement parts I could have enjoyed an updated '09 frontend. As far as the head stud kit, I am happy to report upon removal of the engine cover, this XLR has a nice shiney new pair of heads sitting on top of the block. I have no history on her, but someone spent some money recently.

Regarding your search for aftermarket wheels with a lip - good luck! /QUOTE]

Nice wheels and a sweet stance. BTW, I LOVE the black cherry. I had that color on an '08 STS NorthstarV8 and loved that car.

Here is where I got my information on those wheels. First they are being sold as for the XLR in 18x8" front and 18x9" rears:

18x8 18x9 inch Roderick RW2 5x120 7 Black Wheel Rim Fit Jaguar Chevy CAD Set 4 | eBay

Then I researched the wheel and found the 8" has a 1" lip and the 9" has a 3 inch chrome lip.

RW2 Wheel - MRR Wheels

So, I am not sure. They could have the lip and a convex design in the spoke that brings the offset out to a +50 or so. I am seriously considering ordering them through e-bay on paypal and if they don't fit, I will get my money back. However, I can get the OE Wheels knock-off Z06 chromies for a lot less money....but I don't like the look as well as I do those Rodericks with the black... :dunno:

More wheel stuff

Those are nice looking wheels, similar to Cray brand, only cheaper. You should be OK with a 9" wide rim, just watch the tire width - 275's may rub, depending on the actual tire brand you select. I would call the number listed on the eBay listing, just to know what the offset is - it just says "custom" in the listing.

As far as the Z06 wheels - depending on the year, they are probably more than 10" wide. We can't do that because of the inner fender - ours are narrow to accommodate the folding top.

Yup, I have 1of 9 of the 09 Black Cherry V's that were ever produced - lucky me!

Regarding your search for aftermarket wheels with a lip - good luck! /QUOTE]

Nice wheels and a sweet stance. BTW, I LOVE the black cherry. I had that color on an '08 STS NorthstarV8 and loved that car.

Here is where I got my information on those wheels. First they are being sold as for the XLR in 18x8" front and 18x9" rears:

18x8 18x9 inch Roderick RW2 5x120 7 Black Wheel Rim Fit Jaguar Chevy CAD Set 4 | eBay

Then I researched the wheel and found the 8" has a 1" lip and the 9" has a 3 inch chrome lip.

RW2 Wheel - MRR Wheels

So, I am not sure. They could have the lip and a convex design in the spoke that brings the offset out to a +50 or so. I am seriously considering ordering them through e-bay on paypal and if they don't fit, I will get my money back. However, I can get the OE Wheels knock-off Z06 chromies for a lot less money....but I don't like the look as well as I do those Rodericks with the black... :dunno:

Yup, I have 1of 9 of the 09 Black Cherry V's that were ever produced - lucky me!

Yes, totally lucky you...however, if I had an XLR-V it would definitely have more than 9k miles on it. If I enjoy this XLR as much as I am expecting, I will start looking for an XLR-V to build or find an XLR with mechanical damage (read: bad engine) and figure out the details of an LS3 swap. We've done them in Jeep JK's so I assume I can do one in an XLR :thumbsup

YEAH HA!!!!!

I picked my new baby up from the shop this evening...and wow...wow...WOW! I am in LOVE. She drives amazing with plenty of power and a decent enough ride. I will take some pics in the light tomorrow and post them. I still have to replace the airbags and do a couple trim pieces under the hood, but I am loving this car! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

...may have an issue changing out the head unit, the cruise control runs through the current system...

As I mentioned previously, someone previously changed the head unit out on this XLR prior to me getting it. I was able to drive her this evening, and everything functions perfectly including the active cruise control. I will be replacing the current headunit with an AppRadio 4. I will let you know how that install goes and what adapters are used to make everything function correctly.

So...has anyone wondered what it would be like to replace the dash in an XLR?

FullSizeRender (22).jpgFullSizeRender (23).jpg

I don't recommend it, but if you have any questions about how to do so...just ask me. :rolleyes:

But...totally worth it...

FullSizeRender (15).jpg

My baby is DONE...and I am LOVING her! :D

FullSizeRender (24).jpgFullSizeRender (25).jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics