Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! O5 Xlr (not V). Engine Looked at

Golhock

My XLR/V(s)
Black /Black 2005 XLR
Just purchased 05 Xlr and would like to have an XLR expert look at my engine and Transmission ..I am in the southern california area..Besides dealer..does anyone know of a place to take it to? Thank you for the assistance.

that is sort of like going to a doctor and asking him to see if he can find anything wrong with you? There are a couple of issues, easily checked that should set your mind at ease. Otherwise you can get an estimate of 10,000$ worth of stuff to repair. I can give you those prices over the email that your car most likely needs to have done per any mechanic that looks at it

Two questions:
1. Why didn't you have the car checked out before you purchased it if you have some concerns?

2. Big area,,,what part of So-Cal do you live in? Narrow down the area may provide better answers for you.

Good luck

1. Stole the car...
2. Mission Viejo area

Thanks Long tall..the engine has a strange smell coming from it..not quite gas or oil..although I can see oil sitting on a well under engine when I look down on the engine from above..the engine compartment is pretty tight ..difficult to see ...and some oil is coming out from the block...I purchased the car for a steal of a price..so I knew I would need to put some money into it..so Im just seeing if I can get some honest feedback before I go and pull my shorts down at a dealer..haha..or if I can find a local XLR expert in my area..southern cal..Mission Viejo area..If you know of anyone in area that owns an XLR and has had a good experience with a certain mechanic..that would be helpful also...Thank you again for taking some of your time to give me some feedback..and if you have any advice what to say to Cadillac repair shop..or what not to say...or any golden nuggets could be helpful.

Personally, before taking the car to a Caddy dealership for an estimate of the issues you may have,,,I'd take my car to an independent, Corvette repair shop for their opinion since the XLR is so related to the C6 Corvette. Checking Google for your area, it appears that THE CORVETTE SHOP > 1375 Logan Ave -Ste A - Costa Mesa, CA would be your best option for what you are describing. JMO

Maybe other So-Cal owners will speak up with their opinions......

these cars are known to have some oil leaks. a few more serious than others. All expensive to repair except the front camshaft covers leak and are an easy fix.

HI Golhock.

Check your closed Cadillac dealer, i beleive they have a check up list on 200 points for Few $100 dollars, it is worth the money as they should have the expertise and tools, your leakage of oil sounds like valves cover or font engine cover gaskets that leaks .

Of course for less money you could find other source experts getting to knows all of them would be for you an avantage in a long run.

IAN

Thank you Long Tail..Update..had a mobile mechanic come and check it out..he has a c6 corvette..and is familiar with the XLR, he said it was the camshaft covers leaking, and he would do it for 700..and said it wasnt that bad at the moment, and recommended cleaning the engine with brake cleaner by hand and keep an eye on it and also when clean, would be easier to see exactly where the leak is from. he charged me 125 to come and look at it..and was honest at not just getting my money and trying to make things up..appreciated that..Thanks for your help..this is a great forum.
also, have you heard of any other XLR owners having dificulty opening their glove boxes..Mine will not open...I can stick the key in and turn it to the locked and unlocked position, and the glovebox lever will extend out when you pull it, but the glovebox will not open..

I have not seen that problem. I do see that a lot of latches get sold for the xlr and I think srx that uses the same one. I thought they broke I nan open position instead of being hard to open. I will look to see if I have an extra one. The hydraulic cam adjusters are a problem but no one makes them any longer. As soon as some are made by Moog I believe I will put you on the list to advise. They would be cheep to replace while you are already doing the gaskets

Hi GOLHOCK.

It sound like cylinder problem.....A locksmith is the solution, some have a mobile service....it would be for them easy to fix your problem and saving to break the glove compartment with an expensive invoice.

IAN

I have not seen that problem. I do see that a lot of latches get sold for the xlr and I think srx that uses the same one. I thought they broke I nan open position instead of being hard to open. I will look to see if I have an extra one. The hydraulic cam adjusters are a problem but no one makes them any longer. As soon as some are made by Moog I believe I will put you on the list to advise. They would be cheep to replace while you are already doing the gaskets

LTS, are you referring to what they call ,Camshaft Position Actuator Magnet?

just wanna share this …..had a radiator leak and was told I need a new one . now im told cam shaft seal was leaking as well as crank seal .also power steering pump is leaking . evap purge cellanoid my be bad but could be ok once radiator prob is fixed also the right side height sensor and linkage was snapped . yikes I DO NOT BEAT HER UP . is this characteristic . I happened to sign up w car shield 2 months ago and they sent inspector to verify claim ….they agreed w mechanic and they are covering most except cam seal and crank seal and rad hoses . is it less expensive if I have those items done w radiator and power steering pump out??? . and how much should I be paying. approx. need to move on this in AM. any advice is appreciated

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom