Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

OnStar Digital Upgrade Module

mrmspartan

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue XLR
Wanted OnStar Digital Upgrade Module

Would like to acquire an OnStar Digital Upgrade Module for my '04 that never had the upgrade performed. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would start by calling around to dealerships. They are going to have to install it anyway.

The original radio was analog only. You needed a new module that would connect to a digital carrier onstar uses now, since the old one was no longer supported.

There was a TSB from many years ago, and they would swap out the module free if you pre-paid a couple years of onstar.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-08-46-006e.pdf

It looks like a 2006 or newer VCIM fixes the issue, GM usually doesn't support user installed VCIMs.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I have acquired a module from an '08 XLR, along with the VIN from that vehicle. My dealer says they will install it and coordinate the re-programming with OnStar. I think I'm good to go now, thanks again!

Keep us updated please.

Thanks for the replies. I have acquired a module from an '08 XLR, along with the VIN from that vehicle. My dealer says they will install it and coordinate the re-programming with OnStar. I think I'm good to go now, thanks again!

I have put my XLR to bed under its cover for the winter, will get to this in the Spring. I'll post when I have some further info to share. Thanks.

Hey

Got to love that On-Star. Have had it a month now...... Have a cell phone, but have the On-Star anyway. It is just so slick. Recommend it. Recommend the XM too !!

Bill

Last edited:
Hey

Mine is an '06 V. What is the location of the module? If I can get to it, I will get the number for you.

Bill

Update: The VCIM is in and operational, but the antenna in the box over the windshield needs to be replaced with a digital version. I have a new thread in the Wanted section to see if anyone has one from an '07 or newer. More later.....

Hi, Did the Onstar install work using an 08 module on an 04 XLR ? I want to do the same thing, my 04 never had the upgrade. I have been trying to find a part number for the upgraded Module. Could you give me the part number that worked? Do you know if there was any re-wiring involved? Thanks, John

The dealer installed the VCIM from the '08 XLR. It was a simple Plug and Play swap, nothing else is required. They charged me 0.2 hours, which is what the original Document ID#1749457 dated Jan. 9, 2006 said it should be. When I bought the used VCIM from the '08 XLR I got the VIN and complete description of the parts car from which it came, and the STID/TRACE/ESN numbers are on the back of the VCIM unit. It powers up and is operational, but the dealer conversion program from analog to digital is long obsolete and they had problems getting it to communicate with OnStar. We've already had our first snow storm of the year and I have put my '04 XLR up for the winter, so will work on it in the Spring with OnStar Connected Services when I get the car out of hibernation. Hope this helps, thanks for asking. My Best, Mike

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom