Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Overheating

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Infrared XLR-V
Hi guys..

last winter I had a message about (overheating turn off AC).. so I took my XLR-V to my mechanic and we replaced the thermostat and the sensor..
everything went well.. but now the temperature exceeds the half and sometimes it reaches 3 quarter then it starts to go down to just under the half, or sometimes I should turn the car off and on or turn ac off and on and then the temperature starts to go down..

the normal and usual thing was that the temperature is just below the half.. sometimes it reaches the half.. but it's not usual to exceed the half in this way.. please find attached photos.

it's like there is something that is supposed to work and it doesn't work until late (fans or something).. :dunno:

I don't think that my mechanic did something wrong while replacing the thermostat because everything was good for around 6 months more or less, though I don't use the car in a daily bases.

thanks fellas, all thoughts are appreciated..

over
over.jpg

normal
normal.jpg

Make sure you don't have any obstructions blocking air flow through the radiator. Have you checked that the cooling fan is coming on? Cadillac designed the fan with a variable speed control. It comes on at very low speeds...to be quiet until the temps start reaching 220 - 240F, then the fan will pick up speed. Just know that these cars run hot in traffic and at low speed operation. Mine does the same and I don’t care for it either. I have even considered making my own fan control come on full speed at lower temperatures. Just not sure if disconnecting the fan from the ECU would cause a check engine warning.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve..

yes when stopping on lights it starts to heat and thats normal but for this case I think the fan is not working on the full speed until it reaches 240 (our 115 celsius).. but usually it should start working on full before that, as I wasn't used to see it exceed 220 (105 celsius) unless there is a problem like radiator leaking etc..

That sounds like it is fairly normal operation. The Northstar engine likes it hot but as are you, I get uncomfortable with its operation.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Steeve explination is fine, in an area were the weater is real hot, the radiator it self should be clean inside/ out or replace it for a better one.

The pressure cap, is it, as per the recommendations as this could also contribute for excessive temperature.

Is the voltages of the radiator module are fine, some poor voltages at hi or low could means poor speeding of the fan and then overheat.

Yes i dont feel confortable when the guage indicate a Hi temperature.
The XLR motor, made of an aluminium block, gets quickly cooler then a cast iron motor and avoid overheat.

Good luck

IAN :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry