Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

passenger airbag disable?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
Is there a way to disable the passenger airbag? Depending on how my puppy is sitting in the seat I get a nag warning to fasten the seatbelt that I doubt can be bypased, but I'm hoping there is an override to turn off the airbag??

Is there a way to disable the passenger airbag? Depending on how my puppy is sitting in the seat I get a nag warning to fasten the seatbelt that I doubt can be bypased, but I'm hoping there is an override to turn off the airbag??

There must be a way, or at least make the system think there is a child restraint installed.

Even though the passenger sensing system is designed to turn off the right front passenger’s frontal airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag (if equipped) if the system detects a rear-facing child restraint, no system is fail-safe, and no one can guarantee that an airbag will not deploy under some unusual circumstance, even though it is turned off. We recommend that rear-facing child restraints be secured in a rear seat, even if the airbag is or airbags are off.

If you ever pull the shoulder portion of the belt out all the way, you will engage the child restraint locking feature. This may unintentionally cause the passenger sensing system to turn the airbag(s) off for some
adult size occupants. If this happens, just let the belt go back all the way and start again.

The passenger sensing system is designed to turn off the right front passenger’s airbag and seat-mounted side impact airbag if:
• The right front passenger seat is unoccupied.
• The system determines that an infant is present in a rear-facing infant seat.
• The system determines that a small child is present in a child restraint.
• The system determines that a small child is present in a booster seat.
• A right front passenger takes his/her weight off of the seat for a period of time.
• The right front passenger seat is occupied by a smaller person, such as a child who has outgrown child restraints.
• Or, if there is a critical problem with the airbag system or the passenger sensing system.

seatbelt

Phred,
l think the seatbelt warning switch is in the buckle part of the seatbelt. Just plug a dummy seatbelt tab into the buckle. l see people buckling their seatbelt before getting into the car and just sitting on the fastened belt. ln my other cars this and weight on the seat activates the passenger side airbag though.
The airbag can be disconnected by just unplugging it, but then it wouldn't be there for a human passenger. Don't know if you could put a toggle switch in the airbag line.
There is a minuscule part of what l don't know. Do be very careful working with the airbag. lt can be very dangerous if it goes off under the wrong circumstances.
Bah…didn't even think about the side curtain airbag. That means disabling the whole passenger side system to get what you need. IDK
good luck,
Jim

Yes their is a way to disable the passenger airbag. Open your glovebox far right side there is a spot to put a key in and disengage the airbag. Once done the airbag light on the center counsel will light up. I have disengaged because I have a two year old boy that I take out for cruises every once in awhile. He loves driving with the top down:cool:
Just to inform the seats have the child safety hooks where the back of the seat meets the bottom of the seat. I've gotten some looks for having a child in the front seat. But if it has the hooks and you can turn of the airbags then I don't see a problem. What if you only owned a two seater?

Phred,
l think the seatbelt warning switch is in the buckle part of the seatbelt. Just plug a dummy seatbelt tab into the buckle. l see people buckling their seatbelt before getting into the car and just sitting on the fastened belt. ln my other cars this and weight on the seat activates the passenger side airbag though.
The airbag can be disconnected by just unplugging it, but then it wouldn't be there for a human passenger. Don't know if you could put a toggle switch in the airbag line.
There is a minuscule part of what l don't know. Do be very careful working with the airbag. lt can be very dangerous if it goes off under the wrong circumstances.
Bah…didn't even think about the side curtain airbag. That means disabling the whole passenger side system to get what you need. IDK
good luck,
Jim
I would never recommend tampering with a airbag system. Adding switches to the system that just asking for trouble for you or anyone in the car. They can be set off very easily. And I don't think anyone wants a nitrogen bomb going off in their face unless it's gonna save them in a collision. My father had his chest severely burned from a airbag going off when his truck was hit by a deer. Plus that would be an expensive mistake when trying to replace.

I'm hoping there is a way designed into the system to disarm the airbag. I am not comfortable or willing to tear into the dash and modify this critical safety device for a number of reasons. In other cars I have seen different methods of manual override and am hoping I'm just missing the method here.

I have found in a 2006 service manual reference to a disable switch inside the glove box on the right side, but it does not appear in the 2008 documentation nor does the switch exist in my glove box.

It's disappointing to read in the owners manual that rear facing child seats should be put in the back seat.

Yes their is a way to disable the passenger airbag. Open your glovebox far right side there is a spot to put a key in and disengage the airbag. Once done the airbag light on the center counsel will light up. I have disengaged because I have a two year old boy that I take out for cruises every once in awhile. He loves driving with the top down:cool:
Just to inform the seats have the child safety hooks where the back of the seat meets the bottom of the seat. I've gotten some looks for having a child in the front seat. But if it has the hooks and you can turn of the airbags then I don't see a problem. What if you only owned a two seater?

It appears our posts "crossed in the mail". What kind of key do you use? Does it need to be left in the entire time? I can't see this switch on mine (2008) and there is no indicator on the center console. I believe the indicator last appeared in 2006.

It appears our posts "crossed in the mail". What kind of key do you use? Does it need to be left in the entire time? I can't see this switch on mine (2008) and there is no indicator on the center console. I believe the indicator last appeared in 2006.

The 2008 manual says it is in the rear view mirror

Passenger Sensing System
Your vehicle has a passenger sensing system for the right front passenger’s position. The passenger airbag status indicator will be visible in the rearview mirror when you start your vehicle.

Last edited:
I'm hoping there is a way designed into the system to disarm the airbag. I am not comfortable or willing to tear into the dash and modify this critical safety device for a number of reasons. In other cars I have seen different methods of manual override and am hoping I'm just missing the method here.

I have found in a 2006 service manual reference to a disable switch inside the glove box on the right side, but it does not appear in the 2008 documentation nor does the switch exist in my glove box.

It's disappointing to read in the owners manual that rear facing child seats should be put in the back seat.

You might want to try latching the seat belt buckle and then pull the shoulder strap all the way out of the retractor and set the lock and see if the air bag off light then comes on.

airbag

l agree, Stella. A lot of very smart people designed and engineered this system to be safe and effective. l suspect that anything that is done to modify it will only degrade it.
Would it be possible to cut a piece of plywood (1/4") to fit over the seat? That would keep the seat from sensing that something is sitting there and then not trigger the seatbelt alarm or turn the airbag system on. Nothing would have to be modified and you would never have to remember to turn the system back on. lt would probably have to be upholstered so puppy doesn't slide off onto the floor every time you brake.
l looked in my car and didn't find a key slot in my glovebox. l did find a little plastic cover in the right side of the glove box, but it didn't want to open and l wasn't going to force it. Also there is a little rocker switch on the top left of the glovebox, but l don't know what it does. lt didn't seem to turn off the airbag system though.
Jim

From the sounds of it they must have changed it in later years. In my glove box far right side there is a airbag disengage key slot. It's the same style key slot on the dash of a lot of cars and trucks Ive been in. I used my emergency key and disarmed it. Between the top button and traction button on the center counsel on mine a 04 it has the airbag light:dunno:
I believe on newer models they have a weight rating sensor to activate or deactivate the system. That number sorry I don't know. I would think they have to make that weight know via owner manual. For some reason I think it's 60lbs but don't trust that.

You might want to try latching the seat belt buckle and then pull the shoulder strap all the way out of the retractor and set the lock and see if the air bag off light then comes on.

From the 2008 owners manual. Reading step #2 it seems if you pull the seat belt all the way out you may engage the child restraint feature, ( turning the air bags off). Might be worth a try.

Lap-Shoulder Belt
All seating positions in your vehicle have a lap-shoulder belt.
Here is how to wear a lap-shoulder belt properly.
1. Adjusttheseat,iftheseatisadjustable,soyoucan sit up straight. To see how, see “Seats” in the Index.
2. Pick up the latch plate and pull the belt across you. Do not let it get twisted.
The lap-shoulder belt may lock if you pull the belt across you very quickly. If this happens, let the belt go back slightly to unlock it. Then pull the belt across you more slowly.
If you ever pull the shoulder portion of a passenger belt out all the way, you may engage the child restraint locking feature. If this happens, just let the belt go back all the way and start again.
Engaging the child restraint locking feature may affect the passenger sensing system. See Passenger Sensing System on page 1-45.

l agree, Stella. A lot of very smart people designed and engineered this system to be safe and effective. l suspect that anything that is done to modify it will only degrade it.
Would it be possible to cut a piece of plywood (1/4") to fit over the seat? That would keep the seat from sensing that something is sitting there and then not trigger the seatbelt alarm or turn the airbag system on. Nothing would have to be modified and you would never have to remember to turn the system back on. lt would probably have to be upholstered so puppy doesn't slide off onto the floor every time you brake.
l looked in my car and didn't find a key slot in my glovebox. l did find a little plastic cover in the right side of the glove box, but it didn't want to open and l wasn't going to force it. Also there is a little rocker switch on the top left of the glovebox, but l don't know what it does. lt didn't seem to turn off the airbag system though.
Jim

The switch on the left is the valet switch.

The 2008 manual says it is in the rear view mirror

Passenger Sensing System
Your vehicle has a passenger sensing system for the right front passenger’s position. The passenger airbag status indicator will be visible in the rearview mirror when you start your vehicle.

There is a passenger airbag status on/off indicator in the mirror. No switch.

From the 2008 owners manual. Reading step #2 it seems if you pull the seat belt all the way out you may engage the child restraint feature, ( turning the air bags off). Might be worth a try.

Lap-Shoulder Belt
All seating positions in your vehicle have a lap-shoulder belt.
Here is how to wear a lap-shoulder belt properly.
1. Adjusttheseat,iftheseatisadjustable,soyoucan sit up straight. To see how, see “Seats” in the Index.
2. Pick up the latch plate and pull the belt across you. Do not let it get twisted.
The lap-shoulder belt may lock if you pull the belt across you very quickly. If this happens, let the belt go back slightly to unlock it. Then pull the belt across you more slowly.
If you ever pull the shoulder portion of a passenger belt out all the way, you may engage the child restraint locking feature. If this happens, just let the belt go back all the way and start again.
Engaging the child restraint locking feature may affect the passenger sensing system. See Passenger Sensing System on page 1-45.

From the manual:

Even though the passenger sensing system is designed to turn off the right front passenger’s frontal and seat-mounted side impact airbag
(if equipped) if the system detects a rear-facing child restraint, no system is fail-safe, and no one can guarantee that an airbag will not deploy under some unusual circumstance, even though it is turned off. We recommend that rear-facing child restraints be secured in a rear seat, even if the airbag(s) are off.

&

If, after reinstalling the child restraint and restarting the vehicle, the on indicator is still lit, check to make sure that the vehicle’s seatback is not pressing the child restraint into the seat cushion. If this happens, slightly recline the vehicle’s seatback and adjust the seat cushion if possible.

It reads to me, and acts this way too, that if there is weight on the seat bottom, over some unstated amount, the airbag is enabled, period. It only mentions "small" and "smaller" when talking about the persons size without giving any indication of what constitutes "small". I suppose, and I hate to suppose anything, that my dog exceeds this secretive weight.

Way to go GM! You saved a buck or two by not installing a bypass switch on a vehicle that cost six figures. Then compounded the issue by using nothing but ambiguous statements in the manual when describing this safety system. :dunno:

From the manual:

Even though the passenger sensing system is designed to turn off the right front passenger’s frontal and seat-mounted side impact airbag
(if equipped) if the system detects a rear-facing child restraint, no system is fail-safe, and no one can guarantee that an airbag will not deploy under some unusual circumstance, even though it is turned off. We recommend that rear-facing child restraints be secured in a rear seat, even if the airbag(s) are off.

&

If, after reinstalling the child restraint and restarting the vehicle, the on indicator is still lit, check to make sure that the vehicle’s seatback is not pressing the child restraint into the seat cushion. If this happens, slightly recline the vehicle’s seatback and adjust the seat cushion if possible.

It reads to me, and acts this way too, that if there is weight on the seat bottom, over some unstated amount, the airbag is enabled, period. It only mentions "small" and "smaller" when talking about the persons size without giving any indication of what constitutes "small". I suppose, and I hate to suppose anything, that my dog exceeds this secretive weight.

Way to go GM! You saved a buck or two by not installing a bypass switch on a vehicle that cost six figures. Then compounded the issue by using nothing but ambiguous statements in the manual when describing this safety system. :dunno:

When I read this it seems the airbags can be turned off, and yes the manual is not very clear at all.
from page 1-49

If you ever pull the shoulder portion of the belt out all the way, you will engage the child restraint locking feature. This may unintentionally cause the passenger sensing system to turn the airbag(s) off for some
adult size occupants. If this happens, just let the belt go back all the way and start again.

When I read this it seems the airbags can be turned off, and yes the manual is not very clear at all.
from page 1-49

The manual states MAY cause the airbag system to turn off the airbag leaves me to think it could equally MAY NOT as well. I tested it and extending the shoulder belt fully DOES NOT disable the passenger air bag. No assumptions, no speculation, only proven fact.

I wonder if there are two fuses one for each side. If so looks like the only way to guarantee is pull the passenger airbag fuse ? That's not knowing what part of the system you'll interrupt either front, sides ? They should of stuck with the earlier design IMO always trying to make stuff so complicated for a simple function.

Looks like the government probably stepped in & mandated the change because of "misuse" of the switch: NHTSA Survey Shows Air Bag Cutoff Switches Not Being Used Properly | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
I didn't take the time to find out for sure, but I don't think anything has the switch anymore.

There are aftermarket cut off switches sold apparently, because law enforcement needs them due to the trick of backing I to a police car, setting off the air bags, & taking off. I ran across this, didn't do any investigation of it, just posting the link: AOI Electrical, LLC :: Airbag On/Off Switch | Deactivation Shunts

But, if you want the on-off switch added, unless you do it yourself, you are *supposed to* apply through NHTSA & get a permission letter before a shop does it. Kind of surprising: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+Requests. Looks like you have to certify you're in one of the listed groups to do it, such as always transporting infants or children under 12. Dogs aren't listed -- maybe list as your child?

Methinks NHTSA ain't thinking of doggie transportation needs or desires for roadsters ....

Looks like the government probably stepped in & mandated the change because of "misuse" of the switch: NHTSA Survey Shows Air Bag Cutoff Switches Not Being Used Properly | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
I didn't take the time to find out for sure, but I don't think anything has the switch anymore.

There are aftermarket cut off switches sold apparently, because law enforcement needs them due to the trick of backing I to a police car, setting off the air bags, & taking off. I ran across this, didn't do any investigation of it, just posting the link: AOI Electrical, LLC :: Airbag On/Off Switch | Deactivation Shunts

But, if you want the on-off switch added, unless you do it yourself, you are *supposed to* apply through NHTSA & get a permission letter before a shop does it. Kind of surprising: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/ON-OFF+Switch+Requests. Looks like you have to certify you're in one of the listed groups to do it, such as always transporting infants or children under 12. Dogs aren't listed -- maybe list as your child?

Methinks NHTSA ain't thinking of doggie transportation needs or desires for roadsters ....

Thanks for the info. Interesting reading. I know my '08 Dodge Truck has a key override. Maybe later models don't??

Now that I know that there are designed systems intended to safely disarm the system I feel more comfortable about installing a switch to disarm the system temporarily. I need to research some details about the methods used. Initially, I think interrupting the signal from the seat bottom sensor would be the best direction. I expect it to be a closed system and will not be simply opening up the signal line, but will require some kind of shunt to fool the system into thinking the seat is empty and thus turning the airbag off.

As far as reporting/permission of the NHTSA I could claim that I intend to transport children less than 12 years old. More likely not to open that can of worms.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom