Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Please forgive my ignorance

XLR-NUT

Just bought our pre-owned 04 XLR, love-it! But I have a couple of questions...<o>
</o>
<o></o>
1. Ours came to us without the XM radio upgrade, to get this feature do I have to replace the entire radio / nav dash unit or is there a factory add-on module that can be installed for XM? Not really interest in aftermarket stuff.<o></o><o></o>

2. When I turn the car off and open the door I get a fast chime like you would when the key is still in the ignition or the light are on. Of course there is no key and my lights are off or on automatic. Question is why does it so this and can I make it stop?<o></o><o></o>

Thanks for your patients with a newbie.<o></o>

In 2004 models, the dealer needed to mount the antenna on the trunk of the car. You would not have to replace the radio unit. The dealer would need to mount the antenna and make the connection for the XM radio service and you would need to contact and subscribe to the service.

The car will chime if the key fob is near the car when you shut off the car. If you turn off the car and don't exit quickly, you will get the chime to tell you that the key fob is still inside the car.

So are you saying that all I need is the antenna or is there something else that needs to be added, and any idea where I could get these outside of a dealship?

The chime sounds kind of silly when you have the FOB in your hand, is there any way to turn this off?

Thanks for the reply.

You need the antenna and the XM module. It installs in the trunk. The wiring is already there. If you have an Ipod you can also install a lockpick to the same wires and usu it through your stereo. If you want the XM you may get a deal through the dealer if you sigh up for a year. I know they will upgrade the on star to digital for free if you pay a year in advance. Dave

Thanks monepit and jamsto...
So could I pick these XM parts up from someplace other than the dealership? like maybe E-bay?

On-Star digital? I'm familiar with OnStar but wouldn't they all be digital? or what's the difference?

Any ideas on how to stop the key chime? It's really annoying.

The 04 came out with analogue cell phone for the Onstar. It will not work anymore since everybody's system is digital so you have to put the digital module in the system. Like I said Onstar will pay for the module if you sign up for a year of service. As for the xm I really dont know about Ebay since I use the Iphone in the car for my music. Good luck in your search.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom