Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

pre inspection checklist

A yr or so ago I had to replace my weatherstrip around my trunk. I had a minor water leak. But nothing that made the " brains" of the car quit. I cough tot right away I think. But I still check the area if I have to leave her out in a rainstorm. There are diagrams posted on the site. Just look under trunk leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thx all for the well wishes:thumbsup
cant make the car show, trying to squeeze some time in down the shore while i am on vac for a few weeks.
so i can list the few issues i found, but again overall the car is above average condition, and is better than i had hoped it would be.
1)front skid bar was fixed by AUDI, great! rubber skirt underneath was not.
so i need the skirt parts cuz these are really bad...
2) 5mph parking lot speeds clunk in transmission, after i brake, and reapply the gas, i get the clunk. so i just adjust my driving and i can navigate a parking lot without it clunking. but is there a fix?
3) some paint damage to lower rocker panels, looks like the car was lifted and the lift bars crushed/cracked the panels. i already ordered lifting pucks. i dont think the damage needs to be fixed, you cant see it,and its very minor, but just a shame, such a good condition car had to be damaged by a shop.
4)rear grommet for convertible trunk lid missing, the eyelet part not the post part. this is just cosmetic? dont actually need to be snapped in. can just line up the hole correct?
i wont put anything in the trunk with the top down, it is rediculously small!!
5) cant find the torx/allen tool, where is it supposed to be?
6)front rotors are new, installed by AUDI,great! but they are rusting like crazy:(
the rears were installed by a caddy dealer last year and have silver paint/coating on the hat and edge, no rust at all. i may swap in some rotors like this for the front, is it a caddy part?
7)drivers seat back feels like it leans farther back by the door than it does by the center console, like it tilts sideways if i try to lean back too far, wierd. i have adjusted it so it is as far back as possible but not tilting. however i want as much lean back as possible 6'1" 235 i like to lounge while driving, everyones car do the odd tilting thing?
8)occasional burning smell coming thru the ventilation system, it isnt very strong, but definitely from my xlr. sorta like burning rubber, or electrical smell. i put it on the lift at the audi dealer and checked for leaks, replaced parts, broken bent stuff, didnt find any leaks or any parts amiss except for the new skid bar. mechanic said the burning smell could be some oil burning off somewhere, but didnt see much oil, so still a mystery.
impressed with how clean it was under there. southern cars dont get the abuse our cars get up here in PA. again kudos to audi for lifting it (and not crushing the rocker panels!) and letting the mechanic talk to me for a good 20 minutes about everything under the car i looked at and happily didnt find any problems.
9)i havent figured out for sure, but i dont think my tiptronic shift is working? i tried it a few times but i cant see anything on the dash that says its on or not. also it doesnt shift if i push the lever forward or back... not that i would ever use it anyway, but nice to have.
10) didnt see a hose from the rear top module compartment? looks like i can look thru a small hole and see pavement... this was dry as a bone, which was good. only thing in it was some lint and fuzz from the carpet and padding, good sign! should i enlarge the hole slightly, or drill a different hole in opposite corner? or just leave it alone? i have extensive experience with water intrusion and related issues as i have owned jetskis for 20 yrs, and i can say this trunk isnt leaking , no signs of water at all. this car was garage kept, cuz theres literally no dirt or gunk anywhere!
11) weatherstrip and some other plastic / rubber parts slightly faded, need to treat them with silicone or back to black.
12)driver side trim at the top, black plastic or rubber, not sure. is blotchy / mottled, looks a bit crappy, dont know what it is yet, trim or gasket, replace it? or someone said scotchbrite it to make it even again? or just put some silicone on it and leave it alone?
13)when putting top up or down, the whole rear section behind the seats flexes slightly when it takes the weight of the top, that sucker must be heavy! everyone notice this or should i look to see if something is loose...otherwise the top operates flawlessly.
14)how does it know which tire is front left , front right, etc, what if i rotate my tires? what if somebody else already did!!!?? uh oh. nice new set of michelins though, must have been put on recently. SCORE for me!
15) no bluetooth??? WTF it didnt even occur to me i wouldnt be able to pair up my phone. boooo cadllac. 2007
16) passenger A pillar the plastic cover has a bubble in it, about 3-4 inches, sort of stuck on in some spots but bubbled around the edge. anyone else have problems with A pillars interior trim bubbling?
17)if anyone read this far, wow, you are a true XLR fan. i am now too. this car is in excellent condition overall. cosmetically and mechanically. i am just a super picky person, and found every flaw, every scuff, every wrinkle. every smudge or stain. i will now spend alot of time fixing everything. my last pair of jetskis were 2003's just sold them, they looked new!
i am a little bit of a perfectionist, i want it to look 100%, i wont spend hours under the car polishing frame rails... but if i had a lift i would definitely wipe them down:lol:

1. I priced our the front deflectors for you. Right side, list $62.70, my cost $53.50, left side, list $69.20, cost $58.50, center list $100.45, cost, 85.50. These are of course, + actual shipping charges to you. Let me know if you would like me to order; funny thing, my dealer here has the center in stock, the side pieces are one day to me. These are held in place by push in fasteners.
2. Haven't heard about a clunk in the transmission. A clunk in the rear diff is quite usual, corrected with new diff fluid.
4. As long as the partition is engaged in the top areas is all that really matters. The eyelet is not available separate from the partition; you have to purchase a new partition.
5. The torx/allen tool should either be in the glove box or the right side compartment in the trunk. Mine didn't come with the tool either, but was able to find one on EBay for a reasonable price. Other owners that do not have the tool just carry a T15 torx screwdriver and am 8mm hex.
7. Not sure about the seat issue, haven't heard that one. Maybe the seat frame is cracked?? When I had the body shop, I welded many a seat frame that had broken. Take the seat out and covers, foam, etc. and check. You could then take the frame to a body or welding shop and have them weld where it has broken.
6, 8, & 9. Haven't heard about these. Maybe someone else will pipe in.
10. My '07 also doesn't have the hose. I'm thinking in '06 or '07 they did away with the hose and just drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom; probably figured out that the hose kept getting plugged. I think the 1/4" hole is sufficient.
11 & 12. I just use "Back to Black" occasionally to bring these back to color. Some use a dielectric grease to keep them soft and supple.
13. This is normal since the top is SO HEAVY.
14. When the tires are rotated, the TPMS sensors have to be relearned to the approximate tire. The tire shop that rotates the tires will be able to do this.
15. Yea, I know. 2009 is the only year with Bluetooth. The last year in production, go figure.
16. To get you a price on the A pillar molding, I would need your VIN. PM me with it and I will check my cost and let you know.
And, yes, I am an AVID XOR owner. After all, I wouldn't have rebuilt mine from a total if I wasn't...

Yes I think we all wish we had a lift so then we can check and clean the underneath of our cars. Oh by the way. Lex toy unless the battery is brand new I would invest in a good battery tender/trickle charger. Because these cars are meant to be driven often. If mine hasn't been driven for awhile. I make sure I start it up and plan a drive every 2 wks or so. These cars of ours are made along side the vettes. So what some of us have done is bought a commemorative brick to be placed next to the big xlr brick up in bowling green Kentucky.
65ce96886af0aafca8d91234959f4e19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thx all for the feedback. everything seems to be in order, i amlooking into the rotors, apparently GM has been using a special process on their rotors for a few yrs, fnc coating. this is what my rear look like, however no dealer has a clue what i am talking about , so i cant tell if the fronts will be fnc coated or not if i order. i
ROCKET i will be in touch about the front skirt parts. give me a week or so, i am on vacation right now,busy at the beach;) any fasteners good to have for the replacement?

thx all for the feedback. everything seems to be in order, i amlooking into the rotors, apparently GM has been using a special process on their rotors for a few yrs, fnc coating. this is what my rear look like, however no dealer has a clue what i am talking about , so i cant tell if the fronts will be fnc coated or not if i order. i
ROCKET i will be in touch about the front skirt parts. give me a week or so, i am on vacation right now,busy at the beach;) any fasteners good to have for the replacement?

usually the ones that you take out are reusable if you're careful when removing them. If I remember correctly they are a couple bucks each; if you want I will order enough to do the job at the same time I order the valance parts.

Congrats & Good Luck........ :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back