Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Problem child

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Hello, I've have a 2005 XLR with wind noise in the top front of the roof. Also a leaky power rack an pinion. Any cures? Also driver door doesn't always open from the inside.

Welcome to the XLR Net. I'm going to move your thread into the XLR Tech forum for greater exposure.

The door switch works electrically but doesn't unlatch the door when I'm getting out. It takes 2 or 3 hits. It sounds more mechanical.

The door switch works electrically but doesn't unlatch the door when I'm getting out. It takes 2 or 3 hits. It sounds more mechanical.

The door locks and unlocks electronically. Nothing mechanically involved.
The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), driver door module (DDM) and body control module (BCM) control the output functions of the driver power door latch. These output functions allow the RCDLR and BCM to command the driver power door latch motor to Unlatch.
When the RCDLR receives an input from either the driver exterior door handle switch or driver interior door handle switch, it checks the Lock/Unlock status of the driver door. If the status of the driver door is Unlock, the RCDLR applies the ground for the driver power door latch.
At the same time that the RCDLR is receiving its input, the DDM is also receiving the same input. When the DDM receives its input from the door handle switch, it checks the window indexing status of the driver door. If the window is below the index point, it sends a serial data message to the BCM to apply voltage for the driver power door latch. If the window is above the index point, it will first index the window, then send a serial data message to the BCM to apply voltage for the driver power door latch.

The driver door latch/lock is mechanical and is operated electrically by a solenoid contained in the Driver Door Lock module when a door open switch is pressed via command form the respective door module. The driver door can be opened manually via a cable when the floor-mounted lever is pulled.

For ease of troubleshooting, divide the electrical circuit in half by activating the door lock via the external and internal release switches. If both fail, the Driver Door Module or lock itself is suspect. If the either the exterior or interior switch fails, it's more likely to be the problem.

You'll need a Tech 2 to scan both to verify proper operation, or you can measure across the switch for continuity and remove the B pillar panel to watch verify proper solenoid operation.

Cases of door latch linkages being broken are rare, but also possible.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
Just changed my latch pads. Made a huge difference. Now opens easy every time! Thanks....

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom