Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Programming 2009 XLR Key-fob

Hal-in-Prescott

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Platinum
I bought an extra key-fob for my 2009 XLR and I'm having trouble programming it to my car. I do own and have fobs 1 and 2 that work. The new fob is a new GM product, number 25926473, which I understand to be fob #1. I followed the instructions documented in many places (see below) and get to the point where I'm told to insert the new fob into the glove box slot. The message says its ready for fob #4. I put the new fob in the slot and nothing happens. I know I'm putting it into the slot correctly because when I insert an already programed fob, it tells me it's a "known fob." Can anyone help me get through this? Is the issue that the system is looking for a different part number? Help, please. Hal

"Here’s how to program your Cadillac XLR key fob (note: do NOT turn your car on before starting this process):
    • Grab both key fobs (the working one and the faulty one)
    • At the rear of the car, insert your key into the cylinder located on the lower rear fascia on the driver’s side
    • Pop the trunk, then turn the key a total of five times
    • Your car’s information center will display READY FOR FOB #X (in this case, “X” is your unrecognized key fob)
    • Place the unrecognized fob in the glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons facing to the right. The transmitter pocket is small, so you may need to feel around inside the glove box to find it.
    • When you hear a beeping sound, press the ACC button Your fob should work perfectly after following these steps!"
And ideas? Thank you in advance. Hal

When I tried to program mine it took me a while because I couldn't see the fob "slot"... .. just to make sure, you open the glove compartment, to the left of the storage space "wall/end", the rectangular hole is right there where you "insert" the remote fob to be programmed.

Last edited:
When I tried to program mine it took me a while because I couldn't see the fob... .. just to make sure, you open the glove compartment "wall" and to the left of the storage space, the rectangular hole is right there where you "insert" the remote to be programmed.
That's correct. Insert fob with buttons to the right, flat end in.

Dumb idea #1, put a battery in the new fob.
Dumb idea #2, try it with the buttons facing to the left.
That's all I got

You have to try everything, what do you have to lose. There is always the chance it's defective, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Good luck

Are you positive that the Fob battery is good?

You say you have two good working fobs and trying to add a third . if its saying 4 I think you have to program 3 before 4. I've never worked with anything more than two fobs.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom