Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Question For Cadillac XLR Historians

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
So, I've often seen articles written about the history of the XLR stating that the car was based off of the 2003 - 2004 Corvette platform which would be the 1997 - 2004 C5 generation.

It was always my understanding that the XLR was based off of the C6 Corvette generation, even though the XLR came out one year earlier before the 2005 C6 Corvette.

Am I correct, or wrong?

The XLR was based off the C6 Corvette but the C5 Vett was still in production and the 2004 XLR was built on a seperate line. The C5 ended production 2004 ending June 2005 and the XLR and C5 & C6 where on a common chassis they both could be built at the same time.

Reactions: Rob
",,,,,, and the 2004 XLR was built on a seperate line."

For the most part Red v 94 is correct...... but the XLR was not built on the usual production line

When we toured the Corvette Bowling Green assembly plant in July, 2006... the Corvettes were built
on a huge assembly line, but the Cad XLR's were hand assembled in a couple of large rooms. The day we
were there, the Corvettes were rolling along 'full steam' but the lone XLR was in room #1 stationary with the lights
turned down to 'dim' in the room. I asked why no workers were working and the lights dimmed in the XLR area......they told us the XLR assemblers had the day-off. Not sure I believed them about that, but possibly
true or they were doing technical upgrade changes?

So yes, the XLR was on a Corvette C6 frame/under pinning's.

",,,,,, and the 2004 XLR was built on a seperate line."

For the most part Red v 94 is correct...... but the XLR was not built on the usual production line

When we toured the Corvette Bowling Green assembly plant in July, 2006... the Corvettes were built
on a huge assembly line, but the Cad XLR's were hand assembled in a couple of large rooms. The day we
were there, the Corvettes were rolling along 'full steam' but the lone XLR was in room #1 stationary with the lights
turned down to 'dim' in the room. I asked why no workers were working and the lights dimmed in the XLR area......they told us the XLR assemblers had the day-off. Not sure I believed them about that, but possibly
true or they were doing technical upgrade changes?

So yes, the XLR was on a Corvette C6 frame/under pinning's.
The XLR was assembled (body) on a seperate line and dropped onto the chassis on the main line where it went through the final stages of assembly. When you went through the plant in 2006 the XLR was already cutting production due to slow sales.

So, I've often seen articles written about the history of the XLR stating that the car was based off of the 2003 - 2004 Corvette platform which would be the 1997 - 2004 C5 generation.

It was always my understanding that the XLR was based off of the C6 Corvette generation, even though the XLR came out one year earlier before the 2005 C6 Corvette.

Am I correct, or wrong?
Hi Rob,
If you happen to keep a 'real' library, "Cadillac XLR by John McCormick" is a lovely book to have. Lots of history info and some really, really, amazing pictures too.

Problem is, it tends to be expensive... having just checked eBay, least costly one was USD135. :(

If you have the means, I'd still say that's a somewhat doable price, though I don't think I'd spend much more on it as that would just be giving in to the gougers.

(Googling it, I've seen it for sale near USD1K and -that- (imho) is ludicrous.)

Gord :thumbsup

• Admin
Hi Rob,
If you happen to keep a 'real' library, "Cadillac XLR by John McCormick" is a lovely book to have. Lots of history info and some really, really, amazing pictures too.

Problem is, it tends to be expensive... having just checked eBay, least costly one was USD135. :(

If you have the means, I'd still say that's a somewhat doable price, though I don't think I'd spend much more on it as that would just be giving in to the gougers.

(Googling it, I've seen it for sale near USD1K and -that- (imho) is ludicrous.)

Gord :thumbsup
I just bought one off EBAY!

• Admin
Ah, outstanding! (As long as you didn't have to donate an organ).

I'm sure you'll be really happy to have it. It really is a moment in history type book, so perhaps as in my case...a definite keeper!

Gord :)
Nope, under $100 😁

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry