Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rack & Pinnon

tonypro99

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Red XLR-V
Well took my car to get a oil & lube and I mentioned that power steering fluid was leaking and they dianogised it to be the rack and pinnon. I was really surprised when they said that but at least I got my warranty still...seems like everything on my 2004 has been changed except the rear end and the engine..I basically have a new rebuilt car :blinzel:

Make sure the leak isn't comimg from the power steering reservoir. I haven't seen a rack assembly leak.

Document ID: 1843740
#PIC3691A: Power Steering Pump Reservoir Change - keywords cap fluid hoses leak plastic pressure return steel steer - (Jun 23, 2006)

999999995.gif
Subject:Power Steering Pump Reservoir Change

Models:2004-2005 Cadillac XLR

PIC3691A reated to include updated part numbers and include 2004 model years. Plastic pump reservoir is no longer available. Please discard PIC3691
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

There was a rolling change to the power steering reservoir on the 2005 Cadillac XLRs. Vehicles built before VIN 55602327 had the 1st design power steering pump reservoir which was plastic and vehicles built after that VIN break were manufactured with a 2nd design reservoir which is steel. The power steering hoses that attach to the reservoir are also different between the 1st and 2nd design power steering pump reservoirs.
Instructions:

When servicing a vehicle equipped with the 1st design plastic power steering reservoir, it will be required to replace it with the 2nd design steel power steering reservoir. The plastic power steering reservoir is no longer available. When converting to the steel reservoir from the plastic, it will also be required to replace the power steering hoses. The part numbers and parts descriptions are listed below. These parts can be ordered through GMSPO.
This will only be required on 2004 and 2005 Model years built prior to vin 55602327 equipped with a plastic power steering reservoir.
15285644 steel reservoir
15240032 inlet hose (runs from pump inlet to reservoir large diameter hose connection)
19122265 cooler (hose runs from small diameter reservoir connection to steering gear)​

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.​

999999994.gif
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION​

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

So when it says "When servicing a vehicle equipped with the 1st design plastic power steering reservoir, it will be required to replace it with the 2nd design steel power steering reservoir. The plastic power steering reservoir is no longer available" does that mean at the customers costs or GM's?

Probably depends if the problem is with any part of the power steering mechanism... ie, reservoir or hoses. I would imagine if one of the items is leaking, all three would require replacement. And if still under warranty, it would be GM's dollar, if not under warranty, it would be the customer's dollar. Or should I say dollar$$$$$.

They already changed the Res. he saw fluid coming from the Rack out of the boot...Im happy that Im getting a front end for FREE lol

They already changed the Res. he saw fluid coming from the Rack out of the boot...Im happy that Im getting a front end for FREE lol

Yea... glad they caught it now instead of after the warranty ran out (OUCH, that would have hurt the pocketbook!!)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom