Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

RANT - cooling fan

dawnst3ar

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Platinum XLR
A few days ago, I notice a strange sound coming from the front of my car. I look under the bonnet and don't see anything amiss, and the sound goes away.

So, I get home yesterday and my car overheats in my driveway. This causes me a ton of concern. I put it in the air this morning and start poking around to find the cause. As I am looking at the fan, I notice that it seems loose, and isn't turning as it should when I try moving it manually....after a moment or two, I realize the cause: two of the three screws that connect it to the shroud appear to be missing, causing it to have fallen against the side, and hence no turning.

I think ahh! an easy fix!

Was I ever wrong. The third screw would not come out after much turning, so I had to remove the whole shroud. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal either, but nothing about my XLR is normal.

To get the shroud out, you have to remove the front sway bar. To remove the front sway bar, I had to take apart both brake assemblies and pretty much tear down the entire front end. Luckily, there was another repair I had been putting off that needed to be done - the rubber bushings on my ride-height adjustment bolts have pretty much disintegrates, and I had replacements on-hand, so I took a few extra steps to accomplish that as well - leaving me with what has to be the worst alignment known to man.

Several hours into trying to figure it all out and having a REALLY fun time with my big ass hands in a very small space, I am able to remove the TWO screws that hold the shroud in place, which of course are in a nearly impossible spot and took all kinds of maneuvering to get to, only to find that there are hidden clips holding the damn thing to two wiring looms and a radiator hose! I finally get those loose and wiggle the shroud out of the car, to find that all my problems were caused by two 6mm screws that have gone missing. Luckily, the third hung in there, and I was able to get it out of the fan with a little finesse, only to find that there is NO locking mechanism to hold it in place, which explains why the others fell out.

Tomorrow, I am off to buy a pair of screws to replace the old ones, in the hope that the motor didn't burn out - as that will cost about $300 that I will be pretty ****ed about spending.

Also, I WILL be putting a small ton of red LockTite on the new (and old) screws.

Thanks a ton GM for buying such a quality Siemens part.

Last edited:
Been there! Ugh.

A few days ago, I notice a strange sound coming from the front of my car. I look under the bonnet and don't see anything amiss, and the sound goes away.

So, I get home yesterday and my car overheats in my driveway. This causes me a ton of concern. I put it in the air this morning and start poking around to find the cause. As I am looking at the fan, I notice that it seems loose, and isn't turning as it should when I try moving it manually....after a moment or two, I realize the cause: two of the three screws that connect it to the shroud appear to be missing, causing it to have fallen against the side, and hence no turning.

I think ahh! an easy fix!

Was I ever wrong. The third screw would not come out after much turning, so I had to remove the whole shroud. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal either, but nothing about my XLR is normal.

To get the shroud out, you have to remove the front sway bar. To remove the front sway bar, I had to take apart both brake assemblies and pretty much tear down the entire front end. Luckily, there was another repair I had been putting off that needed to be done - the rubber bushings on my ride-height adjustment bolts have pretty much disintegrates, and I had replacements on-hand, so I took a few extra steps to accomplish that as well - leaving me with what has to be the worst alignment known to man.

Several hours into trying to figure it all out and having a REALLY fun time with my big ass hands in a very small space, I am able to remove the TWO screws that hold the shroud in place, which of course are in a nearly impossible spot and took all kinds of maneuvering to get to, only to find that there are hidden clips holding the damn thing to two wiring looms and a radiator hose! I finally get those loose and wiggle the shroud out of the car, to find that all my problems were caused by two 6mm screws that have gone missing. Luckily, the third hung in there, and I was able to get it out of the fan with a little finesse, only to find that there is NO locking mechanism to hold it in place, which explains why the others fell out.

Tomorrow, I am off to buy a pair of screws to replace the old ones, in the hope that the motor didn't burn out - as that will cost about $300 that I will be pretty ****ed about spending.

Also, I WILL be putting a small ton of red LockTite on the new (and old) screws.

Thanks a ton GM for buying such a quality Siemens part.

Are the bandages still on the backs of your hands? Have they stopped bleeding yet? :rolleyes: I haven't confronted this one yet on mine, but now know what to look for, and in fact will check the fan mounting tomorrow after reading your post. Ugh. --- One of my pet peeves with all car makers is why can't they use a skim coat of RTV Sealer on gasket matting surfaces, other than the transmission pan (later, a no no). Hmmm? Hope you tested the motor 1st before reinstall.

I tested it, and it is working again, no issues so far. The bruises have started to subside, and the car rides a lot better with the new bolts in - two had lost their bushings completely, and one had snapped, so it was needed.

Glad you got it sorted : )

I tested it, and it is working again, no issues so far. The bruises have started to subside, and the car rides a lot better with the new bolts in - two had lost their bushings completely, and one had snapped, so it was needed.

Honest to Pete, it never fails, always something to have to deal with even when you really don't want to do so. I always say out loud to myself when I get into something similar, "Why Isn't Anything Ever Easy?" --- Glad you got it sorted. :cool:

Honest to Pete, it never fails, always something to have to deal with even when you really don't want to do so. I always say out loud to myself when I get into something similar, "Why Isn't Anything Ever Easy?" --- Glad you got it sorted. :cool:

Well, I just threw down the money to order a tech II, hopefully I can work out the other issues I am seeing now - top no longer works, and the temp. gauge in the dash is sporadically reading nothing, then throwing a CEL code - I just replaced the thermostat a year ago, so ill be surprised if that's the issue - but who knows.....

Tech II --- What and where?

Well, I just threw down the money to order a tech II, hopefully I can work out the other issues I am seeing now - top no longer works, and the temp. gauge in the dash is sporadically reading nothing, then throwing a CEL code - I just replaced the thermostat a year ago, so ill be surprised if that's the issue - but who knows.....

I agree that we can be 'lost' without a Tech II. Definitely on my wish list. Could you please share where you obtained yours? I assume you did some shopping. --- Recently my XLR started showing '0' temp reading, then would start working again, then quit, then start reading temp again. I 'just' bought a new thermostat (factory temp setting, AC Delco) and am going to get it installed this weekend. --- FYI, right now it is snowing on Monument Hill. Wet slushy sleet. Ugh.

I agree that we can be 'lost' without a Tech II. Definitely on my wish list. Could you please share where you obtained yours? I assume you did some shopping. --- Recently my XLR started showing '0' temp reading, then would start working again, then quit, then start reading temp again. I 'just' bought a new thermostat (factory temp setting, AC Delco) and am going to get it installed this weekend. --- FYI, right now it is snowing on Monument Hill. Wet slushy sleet. Ugh.

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing - it will work for a bit and then drops to zero, or doesn't work at all. Other times, it will work fine - the car is showing a CEL, but I can find nothing else wrong with it - and it ISNT overheating now. I'm going to replace my thermos sometime this week, if all goes well, but would love to know if it works out for you.

I got my Tech 2 from here (Waiting for it to ship atm):

Vetronix GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner Full Set Candi + 32MB Card (6 Kinds Optional)

FWIW, I found it on a couple other sites for around the same price, but this was the only one that I could use Paypal successfully with. I wanted their protection.....

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing - it will work for a bit and then drops to zero, or doesn't work at all. Other times, it will work fine - the car is showing a CEL, but I can find nothing else wrong with it - and it ISNT overheating now. I'm going to replace my thermos sometime this week, if all goes well, but would love to know if it works out for you.

I got my Tech 2 from here (Waiting for it to ship atm):

Vetronix GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner Full Set Candi + 32MB Card (6 Kinds Optional)

FWIW, I found it on a couple other sites for around the same price, but this was the only one that I could use Paypal successfully with. I wanted their protection.....

Thermostat seems to have corrected the issue - so far. Also, my Tech II came in today, guess I have some learning to do on how to use it now, lol.

Thermostat seems to have corrected the issue - so far. Also, my Tech II came in today, guess I have some learning to do on how to use it now, lol.

Go slow and easy learning that TECHII. It's a very powerful tool and you can get into trouble with it if you're not careful. Some settings of the car should not be modified.

Considering it's a 20 year old technology, it's fairly clunky but very effective

Go slow and easy learning that TECHII. It's a very powerful tool and you can get into trouble with it if you're not careful. Some settings of the car should not be modified.

Considering it's a 20 year old technology, it's fairly clunky but very effective

Yeah - I'm going through the documentation, (luckily) having been an IT guy for over 20 years, it isn't too complicated

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom