Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

RAP and power outlets

majik755

Does anyone know if the power to the cigarette lighter and/or the power outlet in the console turn off with the car. I was trying to decide if I can leave a phone charger plugged into either one, but the power light on the charger stayed on in both when I shut off the car. I thought it might be the RAP power, but even when I use the fob to lock the car (which usually turns off any RAP items) they both stayed illuminated. Given the ghost power drain the these cars I'm reluctant to leave the charger plugged in, even with the phone disconnected. Anyone know for sure? Previous cars I had never left power on to the cigarette lighter after the ignition was off, not sure about the accessory power in the console.

My guess all powered accessories, under hood light for one, would power off after the 15-minute+- timeout programmed into the car. IMHO.

i always thought that even those RAP accessories would shut down when you lock the car using the key fob. If me radio is on and I hit the lock its shuts down the radio. The power outlets in my XLR do not shut down with the radio when I use the fob lock.

At the risk of having to recharge the battery, I'll give it a try. I'll plug it in, lock her up and check back in 20 or so...

Gives me time for one or two :beerchug:

Test underway.

Shut off car, radio left on and stayed on, interior lights stayed on, lighter and power outlet stayed on. Outside car, locked with key fob... radio turned off, interior lights turned off, running lights turned off, horn beeped. Lighter and power outlets both are still powered. I'll check back in 20 mins.

Test complete, while everything else turns off in a few minutes or with the fob lock, the two power sources cigarette lighter and console power remained hot between 20 -30 minutes after everything else was shut down. Not sure I like that, would prefer at least one shut down with everything else, but they do cut out after 20+ minutes so I guess your battery would not get drained. Thanks all, another lesson learned.

The two power outlets are powered all the time, they don't shut off with RAP.

Even the power in with the ash tray?? I thought it turned off, but the power outlet in the console covered storage stayed on (???) HMMM

Yup, both stay on. Luckily the XLRs have the protection in them to shut everything down after that 15 - 20 min mark. The batteries in these things go quick enough without power tenders. Good call Floyd

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom