Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear sway bar, should I upgrade it

TOM 2006 XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2006 BLACK RAVEN XLR
Hi all, I've been seeing many that have upgraded the rear sway bar. My question is , did it really make a difference and what would you recommend for the replacement ? Also what was the cost for the part without installation ?

Hi all, I've been seeing many that have upgraded the rear sway bar. My question is , did it really make a difference and what would you recommend for the replacement ? Also what was the cost for the part without installation ?

For normal everyday driving then there is no need for that. If you are really intent on making your XLR the best it can be: then yes! There is a reason they make performance parts! If you love pushing the car in the corners and twisties then you will notice a difference. Under extreme acceleration that will also help keep the tires planted and therefore gripping better too but the added weight and stiffness does effect the the luxurious ride a bit too.

What I suggest is you drive the car for a while, decide what you like about its handling and what you dont like then decide what you want to do. You may decide that you don't want to change a thing as GM/Cadillac did a great job designing this car. :burnout:

if you are under 80 and dont want the car to feel like you are in a row boat on the windy lake, put a stablizer bar on it. Yes when the car was new and everything perfect it rode great. shocks leak and do not work like they should . Be fore you put one on go around an exit ramp at regular speed. Half way thru let off the gas. Be careful you may loose it. The sway bar keeps it nice and flat i nthe turns. No effect on straight level road at all. You can still get that floating feeling some like .Interstate driving will not have much notice but any turns will. Just buy a good used corvette base bar and links all together . cost is less than 100$ on ebay and you can install it in about an hour . You will just need a couple extra bolts. I have never read a single post of anyone installing one and then taking it off. JMO

if you are under 80 and dont want the car to feel like you are in a row boat on the windy lake, put a stablizer bar on it. Yes when the car was new and everything perfect it rode great. shocks leak and do not work like they should . Be fore you put one on go around an exit ramp at regular speed. Half way thru let off the gas. Be careful you may loose it. The sway bar keeps it nice and flat i nthe turns. No effect on straight level road at all. You can still get that floating feeling some like .Interstate driving will not have much notice but any turns will. Just buy a good used corvette base bar and links all together . cost is less than 100$ on ebay and you can install it in about an hour . You will just need a couple extra bolts. I have never read a single post of anyone installing one and then taking it off. JMO

Yes i'm under 80, Just turned 60 on June 23 to be exact. My recent cars have been 1 corvette & 6 dodge vipers. I set the world record for 1/4 mile stock time in my 2002 rt/10 viper ( google dragtimes.com ) , I went under the name as WANTED, so I do know a few things about cars ( FYI FOR YOU ). the reason I asked is I do drag race my cars ( I'm good at that ) , road racing I suck, just never got it down. I'm trying to find out what is best for the car the way I want and that's why i'm asking these stupid questions. You did help in what I was looking for , ty.

no stupid questions. I used to be a drag raced in the 70'S B/MP record holder Took my new w30 to rockingham and bbecame pure stock world record holder in 1970 (Car was way underrated on factory HP)
I got into road racing when someone told me ti was just like drag racing except instead of stopping at the end of the 1/2 mile shut down, you race thru the pits and line up and do it again, Just without stopping. Have loved it ever since.
If you get ready to do the sway bar let me know and I will point you out a good deal with everything you need

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom