Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

reasonable expectations for service at Cadillac Dealer

CanadianViking

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
OK, since I don't know the history of my XLR, the first thing I wanted to do was get it into a Cadillac dealer to have an inspection and full service. I dropped into the two local Cadillac dealers in person to talk to their service departments as I wanted to get a feel for who might have more experience with the XLR. I have to be honest, I was disappointed in both dealers and neither left me with much confidence that they actually know what they are doing. For example, I asked if part of the inspection and service that they would hook to to the computer and pull and clear any codes - they both said that typically don't do that, that they only hook up to check codes if there is a known problem. Neither came forth with any suggestions of what to do as part of the inspection & service, other than an oil change? WTF? I have to say, atleast preliminarily, this is not even close to the service I got from Mercedes when I had my SL500. I actually said to one of the service advisers "you do realize this isn't a Chevy Cruze, there is a bit more to this car". As neither dealer jumped out, I decided to do with the one that is closer to my home. I will probably look for an independent performance shop to work with after this, but I wanted to start with a Cadillac dealer for this initial, basic service (plus, I am going to ask them to replace the melted headlights, which if they do will probably improve my opinions :))

Are my expectations out of line? especially regarding hooking up and pulling/clearing codes? that seems to me to be absolutely basic service?

Not unrealistic expectations. My Chevy dealer (who also services my XLR, they are that good) goes out of their way to please me. But the Service Writers are not always on the same page. It would seem pretty basic to write up a 32 point (or whatever it is) safety inspection, LOF, check and clear codes, etc. $100.00 just to get you in the first time. Good luck with the headlights, on a 2004 you may be on your own, and they are not cheap.
Bruce

Good luck. I bought my 2009 and imediately experienced headlight problems. The dealer kept throwing computers at the car when ultimately it was simply a cracked fuse block. I had only owned the car for three months and they had it for two. The car was still under factory warrantee which helped. I remained patient, but, I contacted Cadillac customer service and got a guy named Kim. He wanted my car problem solved as much as I did. The XLR is still their flagship and they do not want any problems with them. Not all dealers were trained to service these cars. Kim helped me find one near me that I will use in the future. In the mean time I have located a local garage that is run by a GM trained mechanic who likes computers and solving electric problems. I will be using him first from now on.

aRTHUR7 - by "headlight problems" and given the other info you provided, can I assume you had some electrical issues with the headlights and not the melted bezels/lenses that afflicted 2004/2005 models? My headlights are melted but I can't really say that I've had any electrical gremlins.

the XLR is going in for service tomorrow, hopefully they prove more adapt in practice than they did when I talked to them.

looks like the dealer was pretty thorough, working a $4500 repair tab so far!!! I've got the list of items at work but most of the items seem legit. I'm not too upset about the bill as long as they do a good job. They confirmed the original rad had been replaced (one of the connections is leaking) at some point, but no word from Cadillac yet on the headlights.

If anyone has any issues with their dealership, please let us know. For our customers in Canada, the phone#1-888-446-2000 is for Cadillac Customer Service. Please note business hours are, M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Thank you and I hope everyone is having a good week.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Matt - thank you for reaching out.

The repair estimate on my XLR is now close to $5000, but I am happy with the dealer to this point. My initial experience with the service writers wasn't impressive, but it seems that once the techs were involved things started going well.

So far, communication has been good which for me is really important. It looks like I'll need to get the XLR in for a second service as some parts are on backorder and will take a couple weeks to arrive.

To be honest, the big test is going to come with how the dealership handles the headlight issue. This is a very large Cadillac dealership so they should (if they try) be able to work out something with Cadillac.

Matt, what all are they doing to your car to rack up $5,000 worth of charges? :confused:

Tim

dealer called, another $600 required for replacement of the water pump and gaskets. This is more preventative at this point and is being done because they are already deep into the engine on other work so access is easy at this point.

Also, Dealer called Cadillac who indicated that there is no history of melted headlights on the XLR, and they quoted $3600 to replace the two!!!!! Very disappointed in this and frankly I question if the dealer actually did "call Cadillac". I told the service writer than this is a well known and documented issue online, to which he replied that if he looks online every little issue is well documented so it doesn't really mean anything.

work I have authorized so far is in excess of $5K and includes:

full inspection
engine gasket (leaking)
front oil pan gasket (leaking)
valve covers (leaking)
repair of replacement radiator (hose leak)
front end alignment
sway bar lubrication
power steering line replacement (leaking)
scheduled service
this work is now 28 hours of labour at $144/hr

dealer called, another $600 required for replacement of the water pump and gaskets. This is more preventative at this point and is being done because they are already deep into the engine on other work so access is easy at this point.

Also, Dealer called Cadillac who indicated that there is no history of melted headlights on the XLR, and they quoted $3600 to replace the two!!!!! Very disappointed in this and frankly I question if the dealer actually did "call Cadillac". I told the service writer than this is a well known and documented issue online, to which he replied that if he looks online every little issue is well documented so it doesn't really mean anything.

Every once in a while, there are headlamps on Ebay for $250-300ea, although you have to be very careful to be sure they aren't melted as well. I show current list price to be $1199 for the right and $1087.67 for the left and labor to be about 1.5 hours for both.

work I have authorized so far is in excess of $5K and includes:

full inspection
engine gasket (leaking)
front oil pan gasket (leaking)
valve covers (leaking)
repair of replacement radiator (hose leak)
front end alignment
sway bar lubrication
power steering line replacement (leaking)
scheduled service
this work is now 28 hours of labour at $144/hr

Thank you for the updates. In regards to Customer Service of Canada for Cadillac, there phone# is 1-888-446-2000 with hours of: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. I don't know if they offer anything if regards to cost but they can take note of your issues if you any problems at the dealership with the repairs. I hope everything works out well for you. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Every once in a while, there are headlamps on Ebay for $250-300ea, although you have to be very careful to be sure they aren't melted as well. I show current list price to be $1199 for the right and $1087.67 for the left and labor to be about 1.5 hours for both.

I have replaced both of my headlights using Rod and E-Bay. I believe the issue was resolved after 2005, or 2006. These headlights will require a new electrical harness adaptor.
There have been a few that have gotten Cadillac to pay for replacements. However after raising this same concern /issue with Tom Hill in Bowling Green in 2011, I felt my only option was to do it myself. Changing them out is a DIY job.
If you decide to go the E-bay route perhaps Rod can help you with the electrical harness. Oh and don't forget that premium.

well I haven't heard from my dealer since last week, hopefully that means they haven't found any more issues :). I want to get her back home so I can start working on some of the upgrades.

picked up the XLR today from the dealership. The laundry list is long and the bill was hefty and I got nowhere with my requests for replacement of the headlights. The work included:

Optimum Inspection
lube front sway bar bushings
replace cabin air filter
replace license plate bulb
replace wiper blades
replace both valve cover seals
repair leaking cooler line at radiator
reseal leaking front engine cover
replace water pump & gaskets
reseal leaking engine oil pan gasket
replace engine oil manifold
4 wheel alignment
repair power steering leak at pump

invoice was actually less than what had been quoted, mostly due to efficiencies in completing all the seals, water pump, radiator repair at the same time. Total bill was $5375.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom