Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof paint damage

MPRCTCL

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
I apologize if this has been discussed, but it is hard to find in a search. Just today, I realized that the paint marks / flaws / uglies on my roof are actually caused by the forward-most trim panel on the trunk lid rubbing an the top when it is stored. Anyone else seen this? I THINK it will be a simple process to modify the panel to sit closer to the trunk lid.
I’ll share how when I get it solved, but in the meantime, I’m wondering what everyone else is seeing.

Attachments

• 9E0E03D9-3B40-4543-8AE5-C48A4D4336D6.jpeg
    9E0E03D9-3B40-4543-8AE5-C48A4D4336D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • 66525DB5-5BCD-40E9-AF50-E77CC07F784B.jpeg
    66525DB5-5BCD-40E9-AF50-E77CC07F784B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
  • 87EEC187-EC40-4AED-AEDD-A88BC890AF6F.jpeg
    87EEC187-EC40-4AED-AEDD-A88BC890AF6F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
Morning MPRCTCL. I'm only spit balling here. Take a look at any movement in the trunk lid sound proofing pad. Or if it is secured properly to the lid. Looks like the most forward section of the pad aligns with the scuffs. I wonder if that's causing the scuffs when the trunk lid closes when stowed.

I apologize if this has been discussed, but it is hard to find in a search. Just today, I realized that the paint marks / flaws / uglies on my roof are actually caused by the forward-most trim panel on the trunk lid rubbing an the top when it is stored. Anyone else seen this? I THINK it will be a simple process to modify the panel to sit closer to the trunk lid.
I’ll share how when I get it solved, but in the meantime, I’m wondering what everyone else is seeing.
IMG_5183.jpg
IMG_5181.jpg

Me again, same question. Is anyone seeing paint damage / marks on their roof panels that would line up with the trunk lid liner when the top is stored?

I'm certain that the trim pad is touching the roof panel when closed and I am trying to make it lie closer to the trunk lid so there is a gap between it and the roof panel. As I was working on it, I saw in just the right light, that there are also marks across the width of the roof where another part of that same trim / liner could touch.

When the weather breaks, I am going to get some paint work done, so I want to be positive I have the root-cause fixed first. If no one else is seeing paint rubbing / damage after 13-18 years, that may not be the actual cause of mine either.

I'm not the first owner, so it is possible that the car has had some paint work. I guess if the clear coat wasn't properly cured before the top was put down, the pad may have left marks.

sometimes the inner panel is not latching down and vibrates against the other . That in the roof trunk area but not sure where your damage is

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom