Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

"Service Ride Control" ??

If you don't have a speed limit code or a service ride light then bilsteins or the preferred by me z06 upgrade GM shocks with simulators will not set that code. If you do have the code shocks won't fix it . so if your tech two is showing voltage change with movement then the module is most likely ok. Usually only one shock locks up or gets firm while the others get soft. You could just unplug the shocks and see how the ride is but you may have to reset the module with your tech 2 after you plug them back up. You can disconnect the travel sensor from the a arm and manually move it while observing the voltage on the tech 2 to confirm they are all ok. When one is bad it usually sets a code

Thanks that will give some direction to head towards. So the GM vette shocks are a better choice, might price them out also. I have no issue with replacing all the mag shock if it would smooth out the bumps better, but still on the line as what is the best action to take (save money or expect a OEM ride) what ever that is. I had a 86 sevelle great mileage great ride handled excellent probably would still have it if my second wife handn't wore it out in 2 years I owned it and the vette (77 what a dog for power might as well put a 6 in it) sold it to buy a Tbird that she also wore out. Just looking for the Cadillac ride it has alway been known for.

I mostly dont like the yellow and blue. Haha. The b6 are a little soft as they are made for the vertte and the xlr is heavier. The b8 are stiffer but made for a lowered car. The corvette z06 upgrade are stiffer than the b6 and to me are a perfect match. Delco only. Don't get the China shocks. GM are about 450 a set . I think. I bought 6 sets a year ago so they may be higher now

I mostly dont like the yellow and blue. Haha. The b6 are a little soft as they are made for the vertte and the xlr is heavier. The b8 are stiffer but made for a lowered car. The corvette z06 upgrade are stiffer than the b6 and to me are a perfect match. Delco only. Don't get the China shocks. GM are about 450 a set . I think. I bought 6 sets a year ago so they may be higher now
Just did a price run on all the lowest price sources as follows:
Rockauto: Mag shocks with shipping to AZ $1788.80 OEM
Amazon: Bilstiens set might have a ship charge $570.46 stiff
Amazon C6 Z06 front and rear $541.91 Winner! Delco and are black!
Casper sims: $184.94
I hope this helps those who are thinking, needing, wanting to know.
"I am with you didn't like the yellow!"

We just brought our 05 home after dealer had it for five months for top module issues. It also went in with dash display "Service Ride Control" message...it's still there. A return call to the dealership claims the module to correct this message is unavailable but it doesn't affect the ride at all so don't be concerned. I really don't like seeing that message all the time...is there a fix?
Service ride control message will effect the ride quality. You must use a scan tool like a tech2 to read the voltage to the ride height sensors and shocks. The scanner will tell you if the the module needs replacing or if the sensors or shocks have become disconnected.
If the module need replacing the cost is very high due to the low inventory around $2500 bucks. Two alternatives are as follows: 1. Use a bypass module ($375) and install c6 corvette non-magride shocks i.e. Bilstiens. 2. bring the car to my house in South Carolina and for $1000 I'll fix and restore the original magride module with a 100% money back guarantee.
Talk to anyone that has purchased my bypass module and they'll tell you it works perfect.
It's only for the 2004-05 xlr no other years will work.
message me at Strandcaster@currently.com for the bypass or to schedule a full restore.

The reason why the 04-05 suspension module are different is that there are 3 input connectors instead of two. So the data going to the computer see the information provided by the posistion sensors and abs to send a voltage to charge the mag power (slurry) to make the shock ether firm or soft. If the module is shorted out will leave shocks at the voltage at the time of short (water damage). Now if it lacks say such voltage the shock will not have the damping needed. Now the excessive action because of lack of damping occurs and will wear at the seals and cause leakage. The PCM has got to recieve a signal from the wheel posistion and the abs to signal what voltage to send. (firm up or soft) With a shorted module that can not occur that will set a code. You can test it by using a tech2 to see what voltage is being set and if it changes by moving the shocks (boucing the car). The voltage will change when the sensor see's movement. No module no voltage change.

Followed the group and bought Blisteins shocks and Casper Bypass. My left rear side is still slightly lower than the right rear side, plus now the Service Ride Control and 80 max light comes on, I tried moving steering wheel and it worked for about 15 minutes, took a sharp curb not too fast and BOOM light back on. My question, if I have SIMS do I need the module? If not what's the most price efficient way to bypass module since it might be bad or am I even understanding how the module works or doesn't work with SIMS? Thanks

Your module on the 07 rarely fails. I'd say you have another problem. Did you zip tie the rear connectors togeter? The front will plug in and snap lock on. The rears do not. They slide together but need a zip tie around them to hold them together. The shocks don't control the height so I'd look to see if you have a broke spring. Also the front is it level? High A little on the left front can lower the right rear a lot. Also check that your ride height adjusters are good and the rubber has not come off. Plus you could have a bad stabalizer bar link thatS locking up. Several things it could be but the shocks are not the problem with the height. And you do need the control module for the car to run.. . the vette i s the same and if yours is bad you can get one for 175 or so.

Can someone tell me exactly where the ride control module is located on a 2007 XLR V?

Thank you

If you don't have a speed limit code or a service ride light then bilsteins or the preferred by me z06 upgrade GM shocks with simulators will not set that code. If you do have the code shocks won't fix it . so if your tech two is showing voltage change with movement then the module is most likely ok. Usually only one shock locks up or gets firm while the others get soft. You could just unplug the shocks and see how the ride is but you may have to reset the module with your tech 2 after you plug them back up. You can disconnect the travel sensor from the a arm and manually move it while observing the voltage on the tech 2 to confirm they are all ok. When one is bad it usually sets a code
Hey Mike. Looks like you know your stuff.

After 2 years in the body shop for constant scratches, paint job, etc (even had to get a new tail light cuz humidity got inside of it) I got my 07 back. 55K miles. Drove it thru a construction area and after that my Service Ride Message came on. Body shop got ke new shocks but manual because they were cheaper.You think one of the connections got loose? I want to get an idea before I get the lube and take it to the dealership. (They tried to stick $500+ to fix tue door handle which I replaced for $20. I hate em).

Thanks for any ideas

The above information is usually on the 04/05 cars were the module gets wet.06-09 usually do not have the sysoension module problem as they are zealed better and relocated. I would think if they installedcaspersimulators the most likely didnot zip tie the two connectos together in the rear. A bump could also bend the link on thecontrol arm going to the positon sensors. Theywould be easy to check . the plugs also would not be too hard to locate and make sure they are plugged in.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom