Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Shift levers

Has anyone had their XLR converted to shift levers?

What do you mean by shift levers. Do you mean a manual trans? If so there is a video on YouTube of a xlr on a dyno doing a pass and you can see him shifting through the gears. My guess is he adapted a 6spd out of a vette. But wouldn't think the interior is stock looking anymore I.E shifter location,council covers,etc. Then all the electronics to work properly?

Shift Levers

What do you mean by shift levers. Do you mean a manual trans? If so there is a video on YouTube of a xlr on a dyno doing a pass and you can see him shifting through the gears. My guess is he adapted a 6spd out of a vette. But wouldn't think the interior is stock looking anymore I.E shifter location,council covers,etc. Then all the electronics to work properly?

By Shift levers. I mean levers on the steering wheel that u can use to shift up or down.

Im not sure that the "shift Levers" is the right terminology?

By Shift levers. I mean levers on the steering wheel that u can use to shift up or down.

Im not sure that the "shift Levers" is the right terminology?

Shift paddles. I don't know if it was a factory addition in later years? I had thought about retro fitting but haven't dug in to far on the subject yet. Would want a factory appearance. Would think it wouldn't be to hard. Basically you would splice into the up down micro switches. The problem I came up with is routing the wires through the steering column. The steering wheel has a friction contact board that allows the wires to connect and allow the wheel to turn. Their would have to be room to add I believe four wires? Would be a great addition though!

Oh wow...

Shift paddles. I don't know if it was a factory addition in later years? I had thought about retro fitting but haven't dug in to far on the subject yet. Would want a factory appearance. Would think it wouldn't be to hard. Basically you would splice into the up down micro switches. The problem I came up with is routing the wires through the steering column. The steering wheel has a friction contact board that allows the wires to connect and allow the wheel to turn. Their would have to be room to add I believe four wires? Would be a great addition though!

I dare to dream.... Paddle shifters would be absolutely amazing.

Paddle Shifters

Nope, paddle shifting was not an option in 2009: not available!

Personally I don't care and do not desire them. If I had a choice I would prefer a floor shift. Nothing like 'rowing' you car! Picture a great summer day; open road - bringing the RPM's to the apex of the power curve: banging gears: 1 ....2 ....3 ....4 .... 5 .....6???? No matter the number of gears: It's all good! :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

I dare to dream.... Paddle shifters would be absolutely amazing.

I looked into it a couple years ago. At the Corvette Homecoming that we "took over for the first two days", there was a vendor that I spent a few hours with that thought he could do it, but he needed the car for three weeks and wanted me to pay for all the R&D. I also talked to the vendor providing paddles for the CTS-V1 crowd and he thought it was possible, but didn't see enough profit in it to be bothered. Its on my list, just not very high on the priorities. I currently have my hands full with the front splitter and rear diffuser right now (One of the XLR guys I met on Facebook did both using a custom APR splitter that I like and an aftermarket Corvette diffuser that I hate). Maybe I'll get around to it in two or three more winters. A new vendor is doing steering wheels for CTS-V2 that I really like:

6362d1362087441-new-steering-wheel-project-under-way-dctms-cts-sport-wheel-installed2.jpg

7684d1366149442-new-steering-wheel-project-under-way-dctms-completed.jpg

With these paddles:
11118d1382370528-vitesse-motorsports-shift-paddles-uploadfromtaptalk1382370528653.jpg
8823d1370370220-vitesse-motors-paddle-shifters-sale-90-00-free-shipping-20130603_212757.jpg
cadillac-cts-paddles.jpg
cadillac-cts-paddles-side.jpg

Problem is he's probably going to charge $1500 for the whole package.

Last edited:
Nope, paddle shifting was not an option in 2009: not available!

Personally I don't care and do not desire them. If I had a choice I would prefer a floor shift. Nothing like 'rowing' you car! Picture a great summer day; open road - bringing the RPM's to the apex of the power curve: banging gears: 1 ....2 ....3 ....4 .... 5 .....6???? No matter the number of gears: It's all good! :burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

I agree with you Sandy but I do like to shift the gear lever to the left and use it in the paddle shift mode.
Seems more natural than paddles on the steering wheel. The only real problem I have is remembering the left foot is for the BRAKE in the Xlr!:pat:

GizmoQ; said:
I currently have my hands full with the front splitter and rear diffuser right now (One of the XLR guys I met on Facebook did both using a custom APR splitter that I like and an aftermarket Corvette diffuser that I hate).

I've looked into the front valence"splitter" are they for the c6? The profile looks almost the same maybe just alittle tweaking to get the front bumper and splitter to mate?
Every since I looked under the rear of the car I've thought to myself that it needed a piece to cover the muffler area. The bumper is like a parachute. My wife's Volvo has plastic under the entire car front to back. Anyways I saw a diffuser for a c6 on eBay the problem was it is made out of aluminum and bulky looking.
What type of material are you using for the diffuser. I wish I knew more about making fiberglass pieces would think that's the best way to conform to all them angles and parts.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom