Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Shocks!

BAT

My XLR/V(s)
I’ve purchased my XLR last fall knowing I need to do the shock replacement this spring. My mechanic suggested I replace w a quality shock and sway bars and program my computer to accept them opposed to the original electric shock. He’s a Corvette guy and says it would give a superior ride. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I’ve purchased my XLR last fall knowing I need to do the shock replacement this spring. My mechanic suggested I replace w a quality shock and sway bars and program my computer to accept them opposed to the original electric shock. He’s a Corvette guy and says it would give a superior ride. I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Hey

Superior to OEM Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???? don't know about that . All these reports of the XLR riding better than stock with after market and bypass units installed . GM spent untold amounts of money designing the stock suspension to give the best quality ride for the duration. Doubt a lot that any "replacement" set up could surpass OEM.

Bill

Not better than new mag shocks but if they have many miles on them new non mag shocks will be an improvement over what you have now. The rear sway bar makes a good improvement if you drive the car hard .the mag shocks gave a great ride thru all types of driving. From cruising to agressive driving. Non mag shocks will not perform as well in all types of driving. basic corvette shocks will result in a soft ride. Z06 upgrade will be a little firmer and bilsteins firmer yet. You will not be able to program your computer . you will have to install one of the simulators sold or make and hard wire in your own.

Yep, the Corvette guy doesn't know his shocks. I think Corvettes had the ability to program normal shocks into the car's computer, but XLRs don't have that option. You have to pop up and buy simulators for each regular shock

Okay i'm confused; new mags are for the very rich! Here's my question/ problem when I go over a depression on the road at say 45 I hit my head on the roof, now will new mag's or bilsteins fix that, and what is the nature of the changing the sway bar? Not using it for street racing just the cruse about the freeway and town. I should mention have 108000 on this gem and know the shock are long overdue.

Okay i'm confused; new mags are for the very rich! Here's my question/ problem when I go over a depression on the road at say 45 I hit my head on the roof, now will new mag's or bilsteins fix that, and what is the nature of the changing the sway bar? Not using it for street racing just the cruse about the freeway and town. I should mention have 108000 on this gem and know the shock are long overdue.
Again, the sway bar isn't needed for just day to day driving. The old way of checking on shocks was to push each corner of the car down several times and see how the car rebounded. More that twice and you could figure on replacing shocks. Have you had the car on a lift and seen for yourself if there's any oil leakage around the shocks?
And having an old car like the XLR and the way it was designed is still pretty much a rich person's car. Lack of parts means it's usually gonna be an expensive money pit. My right tail light is out. Consider the cost to repair it is around $500 or better now. Been out for 7 months now. I'm just more careful when I'm driving it

If you are hitting your head is from the shocks being locked or is the car just floating over the bump and you just bounce? Either way, the shocks are most likely gone. The sway bar just keeps the car flat and prevents body roll. when you get off a clover leaf at speed if you are leaning over in your seat the sway bar prevents that. If you change lanes quickly the sway bar keeps the car from rocking. I've done 20-25 and not a single driver did not notice and like the difference.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom