Snake Bite XLR-V

GizmoQ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V
RATTLE Snake Bite XLR-V

Well, I dropped my car off today at Stiegemeier Porting for the Snake Bite mod:
steigmeiersnakebite00560x48-1.jpg

Stage 5 Porting Hi Flo Stiegemeier Design, completely blueprinted for high rotor speeds and fully ported and polished. Flow-tested to insure flawless driveability.
The Stage 5 Porting with a Patent Pending gear drive system to increase boost by 50% also produces quicker boost rise with no belt slip. Warranty friendly - retains all factory pulleys for correct look and collectability.

Since I only know of one other 4.4L Northstar this has been done on (he shipped his blower to the shop), and the results were not as expected; I'm hoping that with the whole car there and a month to do his magic ,Bob can document some real good HP and torque gains.

I'll keep everyone posted as the work progresses.

Not sure I would be that brave but your car looks awesome against the white snow.....

Sounds interesting. Will be anxious to see how much increase in HP you are able to get with the mods. Please keep us posted.

New Years Update:

Baseline Dyno is complete. Completely Stock 372 RWHP/357 Torque, Aprox 11 Lbs Boost at redline.

D3 Stage1/ Stage2 Intake without Dtronics module and no tune: 381RWHP /361 Torque, Aprox 12 Lbs Boost at redline (AFR rise to 11 from 10.2)
Giz.jpg

Input side will be completely removed and inspected next week and then start the porting, port matching, and polishing.

Looking forward to the results. Stiegemeier has a great reputation.

This weekend the throttlebody and final inlet tube were flowtested. Airflow thru the throttlebody was 15% better than the inlet tube. Stiegemeier has a process/mod to increase the flow of the throttlebody, but I have no idea what they'll do to get beyond the restriction of the inlet tube. It's not called Mod Hell for nothing. :reddevil

Good luck, I love that dark place called Mod Hell. My wife hates it, that makes it even better!

This has got to be the worst winter in the last 10 years. My car is in a shop 50 miles away. All the computer install parts on my bench refuse to work together. I can't get to the car to do the exterior mods I planned. And I I need a vacation before I go stir crazy.

[Vent mode off]

The guys at Stiegmeier sent me some photos as the work progressed:

First Whats the gameplan:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqCuVkH95Ek&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NqCuVkH95Ek&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Then baseline the stock motor and then add the D3 Intake
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/01tWewI5tnM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/01tWewI5tnM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

The blower coming off
SCcomingoff.jpg

I should be embarrassed at how filthy that engine compartment is, but I know I have until April to get it cleaned up.
SCgone.jpg

The Porting
XLRVcaseported.jpg

XLR-PandB.jpg

PlenumXLR.jpg

And of course as soon as I start putting the plans together to go on vacation, my car is done and ready for the tune.
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7_i1N69_yk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P7_i1N69_yk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

At least with all the polished aluminum the dirt doesn't show as bad in the video. Now to get it to Jesse in IN for the tune.

I must admit Giz, it sure is a far cry from when we first met you at Mid-Ohio last year and you drove up with the whole console in the passenger seat and your arm down in the console to shift into gear. Very impressive then and now. Miss you guys. Keep the pictures coming as it progresses. Hope we see you soon.

I must admit Giz, it sure is a far cry from when we first met you at Mid-Ohio last year and you drove up with the whole console in the passenger seat and your arm down in the console to shift into gear. Very impressive then and now. Miss you guys. Keep the pictures coming as it progresses. Hope we see you soon.

Just part of the price to be paid in order to do this and hang out with you guys/gals. I'd gladly do it again. (But let's hope I don't have to. :willy_nilly:).

Scheduling Complete. I'll be taking FireFox to Chicago for the weekend. The weather looks like its going to cooperate so I'll be attending the Chicago Auto Show on Saturday, visiting with family on Sunday, then off to Wait4MeTune for the rest of the week (if needed). Got my list of mods, just hope Jesse has time to do them all.

New tyres are on order, TPMS sensors and wheels are ready. My mechanic buying the tyres said these are good but we'll save the best for the Homecoming. Why does he think I'm gonna need a new set of tires by then? :reddevil I still have some tread left on the OEM wheels.

Chicago was nice. The auto show was so-so. The XLR made it there no problem.
IMG_7664.jpg

Friday nite after dinner, I pulled up to the front of the restaurant and let the gang take a look.
2011-02-18_23-18-50_791-1.jpg

P1030376.jpg

Weather moved in on Sunday.
IMG_20110220_122222.jpg

So I drove the whole way to Warsaw in the rain. Got up early Monday and dropped the car off at Jesse's shop not 10 minutes before the rain turned to ice(freezing rain). Then to make matters worse the freezing rain turned to snow that afternoon - 9" total by this morning.

We won't be able to get onto the dyno till tomorrow or the next day. Jesse is a real cool, laid-back character. He disabled the computer-controlled blow-off valve and handed it to me with "Done." He said we should be able to take care of the tune with 2 hours on the dyno. I'm apprehensive as hell and he's just matter-of-fact, no worries.

Looks great. Intersted to seeing some dyno numbers, transmission response, and some 0-60 and 1/4 numbers.

Looks great. Interested to seeing some dyno numbers, transmission response, and some 0-60 and 1/4 numbers.

Don't think I do any 1/4 runs anytime soon. Preliminary numbers are good, but there's more work to be done. Jesse at Wait4Me verified the extra 50% increase in boost, but we couldn't do a full dyno run because the motor started leaning out at 5000RPM.

Preliminary results: 430rwhp/479lbs torque at 4900RPM ( run aborted at 5000RPM) Ran out of injectors, IAT through the roof.

Jesse said we could continue next month with the following additions. I think his plan for me is 1)90lbs injectors, 2)bigger intercooler pump, 3)custom heat exchanger, 4)open up cats and exhaust. He recommended headers and nitrous, but I'm not ready to give up the comfort or trunk space. I was on information overload by that time.

Wait4Me Tune Round 2

Well the verdict is in. Took getting a bigger pump for the intercooler and 72lbs injectors, yet, the knock sensor hears the new gears in the supercharger as knock and wants to retard timing above 5500RPM.

Drum roll please.....

501RWHP/486TQ

But we're not done, yet. Hopefully, with a few mods to the exhaust 540RWHP could be achievable. I'll be doing those mods late next month.

This is a great thread. Very nice numbers:blinzel:. Is the management being done with a stand alone system or the factory ecm? If factory what software can you tune it with.

This is a great thread. Very nice numbers:blinzel:. Is the management being done with a stand alone system or the factory ecm? If factory what software can you tune it with.

Jesse used EFILive on the factory ECM.

Jesse used HPTuners on the factory ECM.

Thats good to know. i'll have to see if any of the local tuners here that use hpt are experienced with cadillac. i'm coming from a long line of mustangs, so i don't know any reputable gm shops here. maybe i missed it in your post, but did they end up using a smaller upper, or larger lower pulley to gain boost, or was it all in the port work?

... maybe i missed it in your post, but did they end up using a smaller upper, or larger lower pulley to gain boost, or was it all in the port work?

Neither, changed the internal gears inside the supercharger.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom