Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Squeezing coming from rear...shocks :(

XLR_7254

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
So over the past few days I've been hearing some squeezing coming form the right rear of the vehicle. Yes, the dreaded shocks. I took the car in to belle tire and they told me that all shocks are leaking fluid and I need to replace them. $4500 yea okay!

A friend of mine has a 2008 Corvette and recently switched his shocks over to coil overs. I'm looking at the ones he took off and they look identical to the shocks we have on our cars. I've read a few threads on the corvette forms about people switching the MRH shock absorbers to standard shocks and I think I'm going to do it.

My questions are:
-Can I buy factory shocks for a 2008 corvette and replace them with mine?
-I know I will need resistors, can someone please share a diagram or provide detailed information of the resistors that I will need and how to install them. Please and thank you.
-I can get access to a Tech2. Some people have said to go to the computer in the trunk and delete the F45 option? Can someone please tell me where the computer in the trunk is located. Any pictures would be very helpful and appreciated.

Im sure these questions have been asked and if you could just point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey rexster314 thanks for the links.

I guess im still confused as to where the computer in the XLR is located. Trunk drivers side? I pulled back the carpet and I seen what looks to be the pump for the hydrolic top. Not sure if that's where I should be looking.

I see a computer mounted to the passenger side rear quarter behind the carpeting. Is that what it could possibly be? If a location for the computer could be given that would really help. Maybe even a description of what it looks like and if it had any kind of sticker on it.

You're in the right area. There are two modules located in that compartment. The one that's connected to the hydraulic pump is the Folding Top Control module. The other is the Suspension Control module.

If a dealer is asking $4500 to replace all four shocks, that's extortion. The shocks are around $600 each.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
You should be able to get the rear shocks replaced for $1500 or so if you buy them yourself.

I wouldn't give up the awesome ride for $1500.

mileage?

XLR 7254,

How many miles on your XLR?

Was the service mgr. at Belle Tire wearing a mask by chance? j/k

Thank you rule32, rexster314, and David_B for the direct links to the shocks, but I think I am going to go with the conversion. I don't know why but something is just telling me to do it. I will do more research and let you know how everything goes.

Thank you CC for the location of the computer. I might be sending you a DM if I have a question when I Open everything up.

Pure Zen, Currently I have 124k on the car. I'm almost 100% sure that these are the factory shocks. No mask, but he definitely was trying to stick it to me.

Rear Shocks

HI,
Good afternoon. Just another day in Paradise. I just replaced both rear shocks on my 2004. I bought them online for $450 a piece. Had to compress them and wire tie them in the compressed mode to get them in place. The second was a lot easier than the first. I thought about the route you are talking about but what the hell it is a Cadillac. Fix it right.. Have a great day.
Fred

So, I too noticed a "squeezing" or "groaning" coming from my shocks and had them inspected by my trusted local mechanic. And all 4 were suffering from compromised seals. Warranty adjuster confirmed this condition and authorized replacement of the shocks and tierod ends. While the front pair were easily sourced through Delco, the rears have been hard to locate. They found one in Maryland and the other in Texas. Parts are getting scarce! Should have the car back by Wednesday just in time for our local Thanksgiving parade![emoji884]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocks Replaced under Warranty!!!

Over the years I've coached many friends and family through the car purchase process. One of the "commandments" if you will is "Thou shall not EVER buy ANYTHING in the finance office...especially an extended warranty or service plan!" When I bought my '06 XLR-V, I insisted that the deal include a 5/50, $0 deductible exclusionary warranty which set the dealer back almost $6000. Of that I contributed $1500. In addition to the $7500 in work I've already had done, Toyota Motor Credit picked up a whole new set of suspenders to the tune of $4,536.32. It took my mechanic almost three weeks to get the drivers side, rear unit in because they are becoming very hard to find.

All's well that ends!! :blinzel:

So over the past few days I've been hearing some squeezing coming form the right rear of the vehicle. Yes, the dreaded shocks. I took the car in to belle tire and they told me that all shocks are leaking fluid and I need to replace them. $4500 yea okay!

A friend of mine has a 2008 Corvette and recently switched his shocks over to coil overs. I'm looking at the ones he took off and they look identical to the shocks we have on our cars. I've read a few threads on the corvette forms about people switching the MRH shock absorbers to standard shocks and I think I'm going to do it.

My questions are:
-Can I buy factory shocks for a 2008 corvette and replace them with mine?
-I know I will need resistors, can someone please share a diagram or provide detailed information of the resistors that I will need and how to install them. Please and thank you.
-I can get access to a Tech2. Some people have said to go to the computer in the trunk and delete the F45 option? Can someone please tell me where the computer in the trunk is located. Any pictures would be very helpful and appreciated.

Im sure these questions have been asked and if you could just point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dude, I just went trough all of this with my XLR and spend months and months of researching it all over the internet. Here is my Tread on the subject.
Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

Dude, I just went trough all of this with my XLR and spend months and months of researching it all over the internet. Here is my Tread on the subject.
Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

Thanks Randingo08. I will be doing just this before i take the car out of storage for the winter. I already bought a set of shocks and now I will order the simulators. Thank you!!

Thanks Randingo08. I will be doing just this before i take the car out of storage for the winter. I already bought a set of shocks and now I will order the simulators. Thank you!!

Hey XLR_7254,

Glad I could help. I hope your experience will be as good as mine. My XLR drives like a brand new car.

See Ya! Randy

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back