Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Start Pushbutton

mmagic

My XLR/V(s)
2005 silver
My Start Push Button is acting up AGAIN. Changed it out about 15,000 miles ago (7 years ago) with a new one and needs it again. Last time, the switch shut the car off whilst driving! No power steering and can't remember if the brakes worked or not , I was in town in a 45 mph zone so going less than that. Now the switch is stuck in the "on" position. Get two chimes and the display says "press brake to start". Without touching the pushbutton, if you touch the brake, the car starts up! It is not like the start pushbutton membrane is over used. Geez! Surely others are having problems with this pushbutton. I have read on a forum that the green LED on the start button wasn't lighting for somebody. Can't remember if it actually started the car or just that the LED was not lit. I will have to find the push button removal procedure again as I am not sure if I remember all of the steps (screws, removal of trunk and gas buttons etc.). I will need new plastic pry tools as I used the ones I had for laying (manipulating) bathroom tiles! lol

My Start Push Button is acting up AGAIN. Changed it out about 15,000 miles ago (7 years ago) with a new one and needs it again. Last time, the switch shut the car off whilst driving! No power steering and can't remember if the brakes worked or not , I was in town in a 45 mph zone so going less than that. Now the switch is stuck in the "on" position. Get two chimes and the display says "press brake to start". Without touching the pushbutton, if you touch the brake, the car starts up! It is not like the start pushbutton membrane is over used. Geez! Surely others are having problems with this pushbutton. I have read on a forum that the green LED on the start button wasn't lighting for somebody. Can't remember if it actually started the car or just that the LED was not lit. I will have to find the push button removal procedure again as I am not sure if I remember all of the steps (screws, removal of trunk and gas buttons etc.). I will need new plastic pry tools as I used the ones I had for laying (manipulating) bathroom tiles! lol

Hello, again

I got the new switch. They are getting very hard to find. I bought two, so now have a spare. The new switch solved the problem. Amazing that this is now my 3rd switch. I checked resistances and compared the new to the old. Switch was out of circuit and on workbench. So no brake switch or BCM involved with test. The new switch has a different number than the original and made in Canada! New part # - 10354848 (original - 25900953)

Old switch

between A and K, up - 1.5 ohm between E and F, up - 6.19 ohm
between A and K, center - 2.06 ohm * between E and F, center - 30 ohm *
between A and K, down - 315 ohm between E and F, down - 33 ohm

New Switch

between A and K, up - 1.5 ohm between E and F, up - 3 ohm
between A and K, center - Open between E and F, center - Open
between A and K, down - 303 ohm between E and F, down - 2 ohm
* center means neutral position, neither up or down

Smc performance has 238 of them at 80 each part number

25900943 that shows to be the last part number for 09. The number you listed I think dates back to 06 and was updated several times. However I've replaced a dozen on all different models but never because they did not work , ust they look bad with all the paint missing. They used to be 50$

When looking at part numbers there is a site oemcats that will tell you where a part number was used and list updated numbers. They also show who has the part but that's totally outdated. Good source on getting the last known upgrade numbed

Smc performance has 238 of them at 80 each part number

25900943 that shows to be the last part number for 09. The number you listed I think dates back to 06 and was updated several times. However I've replaced a dozen on all different models but never because they did not work , ust they look bad with all the paint missing. They used to be 50$

When looking at part numbers there is a site oemcats that will tell you where a part number was used and list updated numbers. They also show who has the part but that's totally outdated. Good source on getting the last known upgrade numbed
The last time I bought one, it was $25.00 (7 years ago). I paid $80 as well this time. Thanks for another link. I wish this site would list sites where to find parts (as they get scarcer) but I know that would be a lot of work for somebody to pull it together. There must be a reason while this switch keeps failing on me (BCU, bad connection causing extra current draw or something like that.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom