Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tech II - What To Buy?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Base, Black/Black
The more I search, the more confusion I have. As it's near the end of 2022, I am wondering if anything has changed regarding the state of aftermarket diagnostic tools and their ability to access, read and alter settings in all/most of the various modules. Most everything I see connects via OBD-II, which negates the need for a CANDI module, but, do those scanners do the tasks I want them to (top re-learn, mainly)?

What are others using, what does and doesn't work? The last thing I need is another $200 paperweight and a lesson that I should have spent more to get functionality. Sorry if this has been covered thoroughly before, but my search on here didn't give me much in the way of up-to-date info and/or recommendations. I have seen "yeah, mine works," but not what they have.

Appreciate the help!

John B.

FWIW. I bought a TECH II from DHGate several years ago. Complete kit including CANDI module. It would not work properly without that module inline with the cables. Paid around $400 for it including shipping and the PCM/CIA software card. It only had GM vehicles up to 2013 but that made no difference to my 2006 XLR. Worked perfect, and paid for itself after 3 uses of relearning the FTM.

Well, I went with a Tech II w/ CANDI and the 32 mb GM software off Ebay for a little under $400. Hope I can figure it out!

John B.

Well, I went with a Tech II w/ CANDI and the 32 mb GM software off Ebay for a little under $400. Hope I can figure it out!

John B.
Ive got a copy of the instruction manual for a tech 2. Its the saab version but the setup is the same. It does not go into solving problems as much as how to hook it up and readit. Ill see what it cost to run off a few copies if anyone is interested.

Here's the manual online that I used. To get the most out of the scanner, you'll need the XLR Service manuals or a subscription to an online manual service to check the code's meaning.
Be careful. Fiddling around with the settings can kill your car

Good luck John, I hope it works out for you. I have been thinking about getting one also but I'm still not convinced I need it, will know how to use it to it's full potential and what it's capabilities really are. Please share your impressions once you've had some time to play with it.
Thanks,
Dennis

I haven't used the tool yet.

If you want full functionality, apparently having a serial port to USB adapter will allow connection of the Tech II with a PC loaded with TIS 2000. However, it needs to be run on the PC with Windows XP. Closest I can get is Windows 7 and my current technical expertise is far from sufficient to know how to get it to run Virtual PC and load XP. Not really even sure I need it.

My small sample of research at least tells me I want a fully charged car battery, and a charger on the battery isn't a bad idea, since the system will brick if it loses power in some cases while you're fiddling around in there. When connected to the OBD-II port, power the TECH II unit right at the spot where the cable plugs into the port, not on the unit itself, as it's using the car's ground at that point and it apparently makes a difference.

I'll keep updating this post as I wade into it. Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. This is a far more powerful scan tool than it might at first appear. I certainly want to take my time.

John B.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back