Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tech2 or Tec2 ?

pure zen

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
Why should I buy a Tec2? I've seen it posted many times, and not being overly sharp with auto electronics but do have some mechanical skills,,,,how would buying one help me out? What exactly does it perform on the XLR? Thanks for answering a newbie question......I did do a 'search' but the results were all over the place.
Figure you guys know best....

p z

A Tech 2 enables you to run diagnostics on your XLR to determine what (if anything) is wrong with it. The majority of the issues most owners use their Tech 2s to diagnose and repair are Folding Top-related. Need to know why your seat isn't working? A Tech 2 displays 62 different seat parameters (switch status, motor status, and position counts among other things.)

The XLR uses two data buses to relay data between a lot of sub-system specific electronic control modules. If you have a problem with this car, you're pretty much dependent on a dealership to tell you what's wrong with it. A Tech 2 runs a complete diagnostic in a few minutes and in conjunction with a shop manual, helps to identify the source of any trouble codes. A Tech 2 is a lot more thorough than a standard auto diagnostic tool that you can buy at an auto parts store. Isolating the problem yourself and ordering parts online for the same price a dealer pays can more than offset the purchase price of a Tech 2. These cars aren't getting any younger, so a Tech 2 is a nice insurance policy if you plan to keep an XLR in your garage for a long time.

Being handy with a shop manual, a wrench, and a multi-meter used to be good enough for most auto repairs. A Tech 2 can save you lots of time troubleshooting a problem, especially if the problem is intermittent. It has the ability to look into the vehicle's memory and pull codes that aren't hard failures yet. Most troubleshooting trees in the shop manual begin with interpreting the results of a Tech 2 diagnostic test.

CC :wave:

QUESTION ANSWERED,,,,,

Thank you CC,,, that is exactly the info I was looking for about the Tech2.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thank you CC,,, that is exactly the info I was looking for about the Tech2.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

It can be confusing....FYI....there are real ones and then there are fake ones all over eBay.

There are different real ones...GM logo, Saturn logo, Saab logo...plus MACtool, and OTC logos.

There are real ones made by Vetronix, Hewlett Packard, and Bosch.

Any GM after 2003 will require a CANDI module add on.

The fire sale on the real ones was back in 2009 when all the GM dealers were closing. We bought 2 GM real ones for $1100 from a closing Saturn dealer.

One guy got a year in jail for selling fake ones on eBay.

The super cheap $299 China ones can be found in the sponsored links on eBay. See attached pic.

Good luck getting one of those fixed if needed..

cheaptech299.jpg

Last edited:
It can be confusing....FYI....there are real ones and then there are fake ones all over eBay.

There are different real ones...GM logo, Saturn logo, Saab logo...plus MACtool, and OTC logos.

There are real ones made by Vetronix, Hewlett Packard, and Bosch.

Any GM after 2003 will require a CANDI module add on.

The fire sale on the real ones was back in 2009 when all the GM dealers were closing. We bought 2 GM real ones for $1100 from a closing Saturn dealer.

One guy got a year in jail for selling fake ones on eBay.

The super cheap $299 China ones can be found in the sponsored links on eBay. See attached pic.

Good luck getting one of those fixed if needed..

View attachment 4850

I am very happy with my "fake" one from eBay. It works well. I truly suspect that the "true blue" ones were most likely made China, probably in the same factory. They are now selling them direct to the consumer since the dealer market is gone. The only differences between the models is the labels and the firmware on the PCMCIA card. Mine came with GM Vetronix labels, but the labels were not affixed. Good luck getting ANY of them repaired if they break.

Remember when personal computers made by anyone but IBM were also considered "clones"? I bought them also.

I am very happy with my "fake" one from eBay. It works well. I truly suspect that the "true blue" ones were most likely made China, probably in the same factory. They are now selling them direct to the consumer since the dealer market is gone. The only differences between the models is the labels and the firmware on the PCMCIA card. Mine came with GM Vetronix labels, but the labels were not affixed. Good luck getting ANY of them repaired if they break.

Remember when personal computers made by anyone but IBM were also considered "clones"? I bought them also.

Bosch bought out the Vetronix stuff back in 2006...so it's kinda hard to find a 'new' Vetronix Tech 2.

The original ones can still be serviced by Bosch.

As for the China ones. Buy direct from them and save even more than eBay...

2014 New Release GM Tech 2 Scan Tool Professional Diagnostic Scanner Vetronix GM Tech2 Multi Brand Cars With Candi Interface-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It even has this message on the page...

• This GM TECH2 we sell is not original ,it is COPY ONE(MADE IN CHIAN), please note this .Before u order this product ,u should know this clearly .And after u receive, please do not open dispute reason of “Counterfeit product” .OR please do not buy it .Because we both know original will cost thousand dollars.
  • GM TECH2 Copy one ,can not update online yourself .

Poke around Google and you can find pictures of the insides and differences.

Last edited:
2003 maybe? Vetronix Corporation - Diagnostics and Telematics Solutions

I purchased mine direct for $300 (including Candi and shipping) and would do it again. At the time it was 10% of the price of the ones sold in the US. I was not going to spend $3000 for a diagnostic tool. Even finding one of the old ones at any price could be very tough now.

The price has dropped since this video was made.

Gookins; GM Tech 2 Clone or Genuine? - YouTube

It's kinda like....I kissed her in 2003....I married her in 2006...

Bosch Diagnostics

As for the Tech2. If you know you are buying a clone, that's one thing.

The problem is a vast majority of the fake ones are being sold as the real deal. I think people would want to know before dropping a couple of thousand on a eBay one that....hey...heads up...there are fake ones.

The whole intent, of the counterfeit ones, is to deceive buyers into thinking they are buying a real Tech2.

The scam continues...I would suggest that most on eBay are fake. Priced anywhere from $700-5000 dollars.

OEM scan tools and connected cars dominate topics at NASTF meeting in Las Vegas | Parts & People

Attachments

• Counterfeit Tech2_267x214.jpg
    Counterfeit Tech2_267x214.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Got one for $319.00 with shipping! The best price I could find aliexpress.com

:):)
Bosch bought out the Vetronix stuff back in 2006...so it's kinda hard to find a 'new' Vetronix Tech 2.

The original ones can still be serviced by Bosch.

As for the China ones. Buy direct from them and save even more than eBay...

2014 New Release GM Tech 2 Scan Tool Professional Diagnostic Scanner Vetronix GM Tech2 Multi Brand Cars With Candi Interface-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It even has this message on the page...

• This GM TECH2 we sell is not original ,it is COPY ONE(MADE IN CHIAN), please note this .Before u order this product ,u should know this clearly .And after u receive, please do not open dispute reason of “Counterfeit product” .OR please do not buy it .Because we both know original will cost thousand dollars.
  • GM TECH2 Copy one ,can not update online yourself .

Poke around Google and you can find pictures of the insides and differences.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom