Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Texas Mile 23-25 March 2012

GizmoQ

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V; 1996 Eldorado ESC-V
From https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/events-39/texas-motor-speedway-track-guys-event-spring-2012-a-5831/:
... I had one pass me on the straightaway and he was pulling away from me at a good pace. (Gizmo where were you?)

I just got back from the Texas Mile (spectating, ELWOOD is still in Tampa). Didn't know TWS was open this weekend. I think I prefer a road course, but I had n interesting trip.

For those not familiar with the Texas Mile, it is Land Speed Racing (LSR) held twice a year in Beeville, TX. They have a one mile section of runway setup for participants to go as fast as they can and record the speed at the end of the mile. Texas is the most laxed, safety-wise, of all the LSR venues - you can get authorization to run up to 190MPH with a long sleeve shirt, long pants, racing gloves, SA2010 Helmet, and a 2lb fire extinguisher ziptied anywhere inside the car. They did draw the line at shoes - no open toed shoes or cowboy boots.

My goal for the trip was to get a feel for LSR, see if they'd allow me to run ELWOOD, how fast they'd allow me to go, and decide if I wanted to risk it. These guys make it look easy. From the drivers and crews to the event staff, this was a well run machine. Over the three days, Fri-Sun, most drivers got to run as many times as they wanted (11-15 passes, from the few I talked to). There were only two accidents all weekend (both Huyabusas, both at over 200MPH). Of course, a Huyabusu set the motorcycle track record, I believe it was 248. A lot of bikes trapped over 200, hell one was clocked at the half mile point at 202MPH. But, I wasn't there for bikes.

There were several engines blown over the weekend, but only one was catastrophic and oiled the track. A new track record was set Friday Saturday and Sunday - all by the same car: Hennessey Ford GT.
RecordTimeSlip.jpg

100_0977.jpg

100_0981.jpg

P3240414.jpg

As I entered the Complex on Saturday this is what greeted me.

P3240375.jpg

The place was at max capacity and then some. Believe it or not, there are 10 lines of cars pictured above and all day Saturday they were pretty much all full.

Michael Cole of High Tech Corvette captured the complex superbly in the following shots from the timing tower.
IMG_9072.jpg

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9075.jpg

I ran into a forum member, Phyl and Fred.
P3240399.jpg
Oops, sorry Phyl (she kept stepping out of the shot).
Spent some time with them in their pit area (they were there supporting a Corvette driver). Fred was a good sport and having made passes here before understood my apprehension with this type of racing. They were also nice enough to bring their car over to the Tech Inspection and were told all they needed for up to 190MPH was a 2lb fire bottle.
P3240400.jpg

Real nice couple. They told me they didn't race the XLR, but had a vette that they finally got entered into the Big Bend Open Road Race.
P3240402.jpg

I also ran into a couple that I mistook for Bruce and Kathy. She had an expensive camera with a long lens and he was wearing a Corvette T-Shirt. I had to do a double take. Then realized he had a pony tail, but the resemblance and mannerisms were remarkably similar - wishful thinking I guess. Miss you guys.
P3240406.jpg

There were about six Cadillacs on track. Of those, Hennessey brought the CTS-V Wagon and a black Coupe. There were three other CTS-V Sedans, and another CTS-V Coupe. Don't bother asking me what they ran, I don't remember (I didn't know I needed pen and paper for notes). This guy ran nonstop all day Saturday and half of Sunday and sounded great.
P3240385.jpg

P3240384.jpg

P3240386.jpg

A Coupe driver:
P3240404.jpg

P3240403.jpg

Another competitor:
P3240411.jpg

None of the Caddies broke 200, duh. But Hennessey bested his last run in the Vagon. And #613 was pretty consistent 172-178 with a best of 182.

The field was varied, but not much. There were an enormous amount of Corvettes and everybody noticed.
P3240382.jpg

P3240381.jpg

100_0989.jpg

100_0988.jpg

100_0987.jpg

There was a healthy stable of Vipers.
P3240377.jpg

P3240376.jpg

100_0983.jpg

100_0984.jpg

Very few exotics were in attendance and all were stock. The Three Lambos ran mostly on Friday so I was told. I saw them make one uneventful pass on Saturday and they were gone. One or two Ferraris made passes and made me think of how I'd like to run ELWOOD - In the pits and up to the starting grid the Ferrari kept the top down and only put it up to race.
100_0993.jpg

100_0992.jpg

100_0998.jpg

100_0997.jpg

100_0999.jpg

And there were a hand full of Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers.
100_1008.jpg

100_0990.jpg

100_0973.jpg

P3240378.jpg

Of course the Challenger above would be the motor that let go and oiled down the track.

And a special Camaro conversion - The Trans Am:
P3240408.jpg

P3240409.jpg

P3240410.jpg

Any event of this type also has its odds and ends. There was an electric RX-7 that ran just under 160. There was an HHR dressed out for Bonneville, three NASCAR looking stock cars. Three Nissan GT-Rs all ran over 200+. A diesel beetle ran 112. With a healthy dose of classics to round out the field.

And for my next trick - videos. If you're subject to motion sickness don't watch any of these. I had no tripod and the glare at the end of every run hampered my ability to find the scoring marquis let alone lock in on it. :willy_nilly: There are tons of videos posted on YouTube better than mine.

I tried to link a few of other peoples' YouTube vids and failed. The ones of the Ford GT that Hennessey posted are very professional. Aw hell, you look them up. Search YouTube for "Texas Mile 2012" - there are plenty already posted and more being added. I don't need to embarrass myself with my videos, but if you must, my youtube channel is "GizmoQue". Just remember, you've been forewarned. :pukeface:

Bottom line, I'm already in the field for the Ohio Mile at the end of this month so I'm committed to race there. I have all my safety gear and hope to tech there for 140 or 150MPH. Depending how I do, Texas is definitely the place to LSR a street car so I may bring ELWOOD there in October. Anyone want to come watch me learn LSR is welcome to come to Wilmington, OH on the 28th and 29th of this month. Should be interesting and fun.

Giz, it looks like a great event. A friend of ours took a truck down there in '11 trying to break 200mph. Thanks for posting the pictures & the report. Good luck in Ohio.:wave:

Hi Giz, great pics, I read about the Texas mile a year ago, but forgot when it was held. We need to start posting these events before they occur, I would have probably met you there and it would have been great to have another XLR or two at the Track Guys event!

Hi Giz, great pics, I read about the Texas mile a year ago, but forgot when it was held. We need to start posting these events before they occur, I would have probably met you there and it would have been great to have another XLR or two at the Track Guys event!

Sorry 'bout that. It was spur of the moment. I hopped on an Air Force C-40C BBJ(Boeing B-737-7DM) to San Antonio for free. Grabbed a $9.99/day rental and spent the weekend in Beeville.

The next Texas Mile is scheduled for October 26-28th.

Haven't heard about the Track Guys event myself. But, if you want to get together for a great show, I'm planning to get at least three XLRs to join me for the Hot Rod Power Tour (2-9 Jun). And we end the tour Friday the 8th at Quicktrip Park in Arlington, TX. You're more than welcome to join us there if you're not going on the Forum Pennsylvania XLR Trip.

Hopefully, Friday they'll let me hop on a Gulfstream V to Tampa so I can pick up ELWOOD.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom