Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tire cupping as a MRC shock replacement symptom?

XLRATING

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)
I have some strange wear on one front tire, looks like cupping on the outside edge. All the other tires are fine. No doubt alignment is probably an issue, the tires have 20k miles on them, 10k are mine & haven't done a rotation or alignment check since I got it. Also I have a slight vibration at highway speeds. Otherwise all is well & I don't notice any pulling.

Wondering if anyone who had to have their shocks replaced had any odd tire wear before. I don't see any major leaks on mine but need to wipe them down to check more closely. I'm just trying to figure out if I take it to a high end tire shop (if alignment is the problem) or visit the dealer.

I have some strange wear on one front tire, looks like cupping on the outside edge. All the other tires are fine. No doubt alignment is probably an issue, the tires have 20k miles on them, 10k are mine & haven't done a rotation or alignment check since I got it. Also I have a slight vibration at highway speeds. Otherwise all is well & I don't notice any pulling.

Wondering if anyone who had to have their shocks replaced had any odd tire wear before. I don't see any major leaks on mine but need to wipe them down to check more closely. I'm just trying to figure out if I take it to a high end tire shop (if alignment is the problem) or visit the dealer.

I've seen on corvettes they get really strange wear on the front tires after some mileage. I think it has to do alittle with the geometry of the front suspension. Usually you will just get alittle saw tooth on the treads. But I've seen the inside wear far more than the rest almost putting a bald stripe on the inner edge. Like lower ball joint failure. You should be able to go anywhere with a alignment rack. If they do alignments they should be able to pinpoint the problem to be able to get into spec.

Thanks Stella - I'm getting this wear on the outside edge. I'm thinking even if it's something more I need an alignment anyway, & I trust the alignment shop more than the dealer - based on a nit picky friend & since they do Ferraris etc.

Turns out the problem wasn't the shocks or the alignment (caster was off but from my brief reading that won't produce unusual wear) - dealer said it was due to the age of the tires. I knew the prior owner replaced them in '09 so I was going to have to replace them soon, but was hoping to get another year out of them. However, at that time they put on 2 year old tires (manuf. in '07) :mad: so my replacement schedule just got way upped. Going to go with the Bridgestone Drive Guards.

Since the V also needs new tires - knew they were 7 years old so that's been on the list - I need to just buy stock in a tire company. :bawling: :bawling::bawling:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom