Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top won't do down

Tom_OKC

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
I got this 2004 XLR about 1-2 weeks ago and have had problems with top not going down.
Until today I have reinitialized the windows and that fixed the problem.
But now the DIC message "Top not secure" appeared with top up.
I tried to lower top but it would not complete the task (trunk lid and flap remained in up position).
I have checked the cargo divider and can't find an issue there.
Luckily the top continues to go up (for now).

Your problem is likely to be the folding top position sensor. It is a potentiometer on the driver side folding top hinge. You can reach it with your hand with the top halfway open (rear window vertical.) It is just behind the drivers seat. It has a wire running to it. It may be loose or bad. It has one screw holding it and if you tighten it you may still have to twist it back and forth to get it where it was exactly before the top will work. Otherwise you will need to re-learn the new position with a Tech2 service tool. Just see if you can twist it one way then the other now and re-try the top for a test. Replacing it will also require a folding top re-learn.

I found the sensor but it appears to be tight.
I checked for a replacement part but they appear discontinued.
Parts that are suspect and N/A are 8956588 or 8956589
Any suggestions for finding?

The part numbers have changed due to upgrade. The current part number to the best of my knowledge is 19210515. Google it and look for the old threads from this forum. They will explain a lot as this is/was/always has been a frequent problem. There are three such sensors on the car. One for the top, one for the rear tonneau (big flap on trunk lid), and one for the front tonneau (interior flap behind seats.) Replacement would not work without re-learning the top though which would mean a trip to a Cadillac dealer or Tech2 service tool purchase. When I had this problem I was able to twist the sensor a little and get it working for awhile.

I did wiggle test again on pigtail and it moved a bit and now the top works!
Ordered backup replacement on eBay.
Thanks much.

Hi! I have what appears to be the same issue. I cannot see the wire you are describing. Would it be possible to send me a photo of it?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom