Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk lid wont lift, 2 dealerships gave up

We have success... Since you cannot buy the Top Control Module any longer from what I have found, this is very important. The problem was the relay that is soldered into the TCM. I attached a picture of the relay inside the TCM that controls the trunk motor movement at the same time it triggers the solenoid valve. The voltage meter did read 12v at the solenoid valve, but it was only the low amps power, the relay did not trigger the solenoid valve to open. This is why I would get the motor spinning but no lifting of the trunk.

I ordered this relay with the same name to match the one in the TCM from EBAY, I also am attaching a picture of the one in the TCM to be changed if someone has the same issue as I did.. Photo Aug 29, 9 26 26 AM.jpg

[FONT=&quot]TB2-160 12VDC TAIKO Relay
Huaiy Components[/FONT]

No, it was not difficult to lift the trunk since it was being assisted by the gas shocks in the trunk. Lowering the trunk did not go down fast since it had to compress the gas shocks. I replaced the gas shock so when I had them off then the trunk was heavy and would fall if I let it. It sounds like you need to replace the gas shocks, I paid $40 for both on Amazon..

people are paying stupid money for the top module. You can still get hem from GM. All you have to do is give a serial number to your dealer pay and wait. 4-6 weeks and you get one for under 600 or buy a used one that may or may not work from ebay for 1200 if you cannot wait.

Long tall Sally / It seems not all the dealers know about that, the dealers locally in Southern CA did a search across the US and only found one on the east coast, I called and it was for a car that had been waiting 8 months. This was all within the last month. Hopefully you are correct and something is happening to get them and dealers are not up to speed yet.. luckily I was able to repair mine by replacing the trunk relay in it.

there are a couple of post asking not to call dealers that show one in stock as the only way they have one is by it being ordered for a customer. One dealer said he got 25 calls because it showed up on line as him having one. several people have gotten them by ordering . If you don't order its for sure you will never get one

Hello everyone, my name is Bob, hopefully someone out there can help me. I have a 2005 XLR that the top stopped working, I have a tech 2 and a service manual. I replaced the top motor and all was great for a month. Then the trunk stopped lifting on its own any way you tried to open it, the motor spins and times out in apx 6 seconds. No trouble codes. I just replaced the trunk latch and had the trunk lid hydraulic struts rebuilt, no change.

If I put the top down, I have to manually lift the trunk then the top will finish and close the trunk. If I put the top up, I will need to do the same at the point the trunk should lift it unlatches and the motor spins, I lift the trunk and the top will finish the process.

I sent the top motor back to top hydraulics to check it out, they put it on there test top and all was good.

2 dealers have looked at it, since I am stumped, one dealer said it is the motor? yet it works everything else except lifting the trunk, the other said he dont know what is wrong, both were supposed to be XLR tech ( I should have requested a certificate, I dont believe them)

All the sensors are reading good within the parameters and the position of switches are showing correct? I'm lost

It sounds like the fluid is not building up pressure?, there is no leaks found and I do not lose fluid and the fluid is on the max line.

Any ideas or direction to try,

Cycle the windows at least 3 times. This worked for me when my battery died, installed new battery, top wouldn't go up. Cycled windows, put in down position, top went up..

Insure the divider switch is working properly..(hint) a toothpick under the divider switch, engages the switch....works..

Top Hydraulics has a great U Tube presentation. They also rebuild hyd actuators reasonable..

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back