Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk not closing on own after top cycle, only opens with top switch??

Victor-V
Glad that worked out. Did the manual instruct you about the beer?
V Happy

Unfortunately, no! I rely on CC Clarke's recommendations and base any consumption on his trial and errors.

You made my day, and I'm glad it all worked out for you. Maybe your (2007) shop manual has more detailed instructions than mine! I'm sure you'll agree, once you get through it the first time, it's pretty easy.

CC :wave:

Amy and I really appreciate your input on the forum and yes, it gets easier once you understand the navigation of the Tech II.

Thanks for all your help. :worship:

Mike

You made my day, and I'm glad it all worked out for you. Maybe your (2007) shop manual has more detailed instructions than mine! I'm sure you'll agree, once you get through it the first time, it's pretty easy.

CC :wave:

Your instructions were right on point. My manual pretty much said the same thing. :D

Learned to follow what the Tech 2 tells you to do - did a relearn and the first time didn't pull out the service manual when the Tech 2 said "follow service manual instructions." That relearn didn't take! Then I got the service manual out & followed a few extra instructions in there, & everything worked. Top & trunk are now operating perfectly! :thumbsup Trunk history originally showed there was a top position error & it didn't know the trunk lid ajar status.

Thanks for the guidance CC! :wave:

good job Mike, :thumbsup:thumbsup AL

I also have noticed several times that after I cycle the top, I hear no chime. But then the next day that I take the car out and cyl the top I hear the chime. Also after I don't drive the car for a couple days (and have the top up) I try and drop the top but the tonneau cover and trunk stop for a brief time. Then I release and hit the button again and it works. But then I don't hear the chime after I do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Snapshot" is a different animal. How much different? Like the flu compared to ebola.

A Re-learn procedure uses the Tech 2 to acquire (read) and store (write) sensor values (listed as "counts") in the Folding Top Control (FTC) module's memory as the Folding Top progresses through a complete open/close cycle.

During normal operation, if the actual (read) sensor values (counts) deviate very much from the expected (stored) values, the top will stop operating at that point in the cycle. (The same holds true for switch status.) Sensor counts can change over time as the sensors (potentiometers) age or become loose. Always check the affected sensor to ensure it is physically secure or a Re-learn won't fix the problem, --it will just prolong the agony.

Let's start by running through the Tech 2 navigation path screens to activate the Re-learn procedure:

Vehicle Control Systems
Computer Integrating Systems
Module Replacement/Setup
FTC Module (Enter)
Folding Top Learn Procedure

Press the "Learn" soft key (below the display) and cycle the top open and then closed. The FTC status should indicate "Learned." That's it!

Turn off and unplug the Tech 2, and enjoy a beer. Or two. Or ten. Add the price of the beer to the price you paid for your Tec 2. Then subtract $125 (avg dealer labor) from the beer-inflated price you paid for the Tech 2. At some point, (depending on how much beer you drink) you will have paid for the Tech 2. Then you can use the money you save for a liver transplant (or beer brewing equipment.)

In my shop manual, the Re-learn procedure is on page 8-893. Your mileage may vary, depending on model year.

How to screw this up: (I know, I did it once, which is why I place the beer-drinking part at the end of the procedure.)

If you interrupt the Re-learn procedure before the cycle is completed, the top will not move in either direction. This makes perfect sense because the sensor counts aren't stored until the end of the procedure, which causes the FTC module to freak out like a lab monkey when it sees a white lab coat. With no values stored, the FTC module is brain-damaged. The windows will not lower when the open cycle is started, but the Top Control Switch status will change when the (Top Control) switch is pressed in the open or close position. To get back on track, re-index the windows and start the Re-learn procedure over.

Once you get your top back in proper operating condition, do this to save yourself a lot of head-scratching the next time the folding top acts up: Record the sensor and switch values during the open and close cycles! I'll try to anticipate your next question. "How do I do that, especially after pounding all those celebratory beers?!!"

Thank goodness you only ask me easy questions, and the beer you just consumed only makes this next part Big Fun. To access the Folding Top Status, navigate thusly:

Body and Accessories
Roof
Data Display
Folding Top Module
Inputs

Navigate to the Inputs screen and look at all the info displayed. Go ahead, and be amazed. "It's like a machine or somethin!" THIS is why you bought a Tech 2. Cycle the top open and closed while watching the status of the switches and sensors. Record all the conditions (latched, retracted, open, closed, and sensor counts) of the switches and sensors and the next time you have a problem, refer to your notes, (you did write this stuff down, right?!) and compare them to the data displayed on this screen before you do anything else. If a sensor value is off by a few counts, you'll be able to quickly diagnose the problem and amaze your spouse and friends. -Well, maybe just your friends. (You can amaze your spouse later, just don't drink too much.)

Most of the problems associated with the Folding Top can be attributed to sensors that are whacked out of their palm trees. Most of the time, a Re-learn will make everything right again, but if you find yourself having to do a Re-learn every few months and the same sensor is getting flaky, go ahead and replace it. Then do a re-learn to enter the new sensor's values and you'll be right as rain. If a sensor or switch is faulty, a Re-learn won't help. You'll need to look at the Inputs and compare them to the average values in the shop manual. Instead of being between 85 and 90, they could be 0 or 50 . . . or 120. They'll be noticeably off.

So to re-cap: Chill some beer. Open the garage door (Safety First!) Connect the Tech 2 and CANDi module. Fire up the XLR and have fun!

CCC :wave:

:wave:You've still got it CCC,

I wish I had a woman in my life to try that out on.
Before my wife passed away, I would just purchase what I needed/wanted and if she wondered what it was I would explain what it did in VERY TECHNICAL TERMS until her eyes would glaze over. At that point, I knew she would not mention it again, EVER!

I need to order a Tech 2 for the reasons you mentioned about the LACK of Serviceability.

Any suggestions on where I can purchase A REAL Tech 2?

Jack

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back