Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk not closing on own after top cycle, only opens with top switch??

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black Raven XLR-V
Victor's top goes through all the steps fine going up & down, but the trunk stops when it is suppose to close, the final step. It will rock down slightly for an instant and the motor is running, but it won't close. This happens whether the top is being put up or down. If you release the top switch then press it again, the trunk will close but no chime. This has probably started happening the last half dozen full up/down cycles.

Today after putting the top up & doing the pause then push the top switch trick to close the trunk, I tried opening the trunk by itself - no go using the cabin button, fob, or touch pad. You could hear the latch release, but the trunk didn't move at all. I then pushed the top switch to put the top down, the trunk then raised & I cycled through top up & down fine, less the usual trunk not closing issue. I thought it was a tonneau sensor issue until this happened.

I replaced the trunk rubber bumpers before this problem started but I wouldn't think that would have caused the issue. :dunno:

I own a Tech II so if there is a way to diagnose the issue let me know (CC Clarke).

Mike

Roxy was doing the same thing, but only sometimes. So last spring I had a top relearn done and it seem to help, but still seems to be a bit of a time delay sometimes before it completely cycles and closes...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Trunk not closing own after top cycle ,only open with top switch

Mike
i think Dan is correct hook up your tech 2 and check trouble codes. A friend of mine brought his 05 out to my house to trouble shoot the same problem. He showed a trunk latch code. We opened up the access to the trunk latch and pretty much ruled that out. After that we ran the top and did a relearn and now two years later I think it is still working well.
V Happy:dunno:

http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/8153-trunk-not-closing-on-own-after-top-cycle-only-opens-with

Mike
if you do a relearn. There is a way you can take readings of the counts of your top operation. If you can record them ,in the future you can compare and see if the count is going off and it makes it easy to see what is possibly going wrong. With my tech 2 I'm not sure how to see the count. If you or anyone else on hear knows how to do that please text me the procedure
V Happy

Mike
if you do a relearn. There is a way you can take readings of the counts of your top operation. If you can record them ,in the future you can compare and see if the count is going off and it makes it easy to see what is possibly going wrong. With my tech 2 I'm not sure how to see the count. If you or anyone else on hear knows how to do that please text me the procedure
V Happy

I'm going to break out my Service Manuals this weekend and see if it will tell me where I can find the values. When I find it, I will let you know.

Mike

trunk not closing on own after top cycle,only opens with top switch

I think when u are doing it it's called a snap shot?:dunno:

"Snapshot" is a different animal. How much different? Like the flu compared to ebola.

A Re-learn procedure uses the Tech 2 to acquire (read) and store (write) sensor values (listed as "counts") in the Folding Top Control (FTC) module's memory as the Folding Top progresses through a complete open/close cycle.

During normal operation, if the actual (read) sensor values (counts) deviate very much from the expected (stored) values, the top will stop operating at that point in the cycle. (The same holds true for switch status.) Sensor counts can change over time as the sensors (potentiometers) age or become loose. Always check the affected sensor to ensure it is physically secure or a Re-learn won't fix the problem, --it will just prolong the agony.

Let's start by running through the Tech 2 navigation path screens to activate the Re-learn procedure:

Vehicle Control Systems
Computer Integrating Systems
Module Replacement/Setup
FTC Module (Enter)
Folding Top Learn Procedure

Press the "Learn" soft key (below the display) and cycle the top open and then closed. The FTC status should indicate "Learned." That's it!

Turn off and unplug the Tech 2, and enjoy a beer. Or two. Or ten. Add the price of the beer to the price you paid for your Tec 2. Then subtract $125 (avg dealer labor) from the beer-inflated price you paid for the Tech 2. At some point, (depending on how much beer you drink) you will have paid for the Tech 2. Then you can use the money you save for a liver transplant (or beer brewing equipment.)

In my shop manual, the Re-learn procedure is on page 8-893. Your mileage may vary, depending on model year.

How to screw this up: (I know, I did it once, which is why I place the beer-drinking part at the end of the procedure.)

If you interrupt the Re-learn procedure before the cycle is completed, the top will not move in either direction. This makes perfect sense because the sensor counts aren't stored until the end of the procedure, which causes the FTC module to freak out like a lab monkey when it sees a white lab coat. With no values stored, the FTC module is brain-damaged. The windows will not lower when the open cycle is started, but the Top Control Switch status will change when the (Top Control) switch is pressed in the open or close position. To get back on track, re-index the windows and start the Re-learn procedure over.

Once you get your top back in proper operating condition, do this to save yourself a lot of head-scratching the next time the folding top acts up: Record the sensor and switch values during the open and close cycles! I'll try to anticipate your next question. "How do I do that, especially after pounding all those celebratory beers?!!"

Thank goodness you only ask me easy questions, and the beer you just consumed only makes this next part Big Fun. To access the Folding Top Status, navigate thusly:

Body and Accessories
Roof
Data Display
Folding Top Module
Inputs

Navigate to the Inputs screen and look at all the info displayed. Go ahead, and be amazed. "It's like a machine or somethin!" THIS is why you bought a Tech 2. Cycle the top open and closed while watching the status of the switches and sensors. Record all the conditions (latched, retracted, open, closed, and sensor counts) of the switches and sensors and the next time you have a problem, refer to your notes, (you did write this stuff down, right?!) and compare them to the data displayed on this screen before you do anything else. If a sensor value is off by a few counts, you'll be able to quickly diagnose the problem and amaze your spouse and friends. -Well, maybe just your friends. (You can amaze your spouse later, just don't drink too much.)

Most of the problems associated with the Folding Top can be attributed to sensors that are whacked out of their palm trees. Most of the time, a Re-learn will make everything right again, but if you find yourself having to do a Re-learn every few months and the same sensor is getting flaky, go ahead and replace it. Then do a re-learn to enter the new sensor's values and you'll be right as rain. If a sensor or switch is faulty, a Re-learn won't help. You'll need to look at the Inputs and compare them to the average values in the shop manual. Instead of being between 85 and 90, they could be 0 or 50 . . . or 120. They'll be noticeably off.

So to re-cap: Chill some beer. Open the garage door (Safety First!) Connect the Tech 2 and CANDi module. Fire up the XLR and have fun!

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
WOW!!! I gotta get a Tech 2!! Now how can I tell the wife??

Top not closing on own after top cycle,only opens with top switch

CC
Thanks for the info. You explained this eloquently. I wish I had those skills. I believe your last explanation of relearn and count capture will help everyone that ever has the normal relearn or sensor problem. I knew the difference between the two I just didn't know how to get the count figures. You are the man. This forum is very lucky to have your knowledge.
Thanks again
V Happy

Tell her XLR techs are getting harder & harder to find - that's how I convinced myself & told Mike to go for it! No XLR tech = we're out of luck if we can't figure this out ourselves, & I don't want just a big yard ornament, not into a car decorating the front lawn ...

THANKS CC!!!!!!! I will be giving the Bosch Tech II its first run today. :drink:

Mike

Turn off and unplug the Tech 2, and enjoy a beer. Or two. Or ten. Add the price of the beer to the price you paid for your Tec 2. Then subtract $125 (avg dealer labor) from the beer-inflated price you paid for the Tech 2. At some point, (depending on how much beer you drink) you will have paid for the Tech 2. Then you can use the money you save for a liver transplant (or beer brewing equipment.)

That sounds like a lot of beer! - is it ok if spectators have wine, a little rum, maybe a margarita? :drink:

Telling a wife anything reduces your chances of getting what you want. The ideal response you're shooting for from her should sound something like this: "OMG honey, what do you think we should do?" Note two important, key words in this response: honey, and we. These indicate love and acceptance of a shared goal.

To bring her to this critical decision-making tipping point, you must draw her into her most suggestive state. It's like hypnosis, only better. And what is a woman's most open-minded state? Her maternal state, of course. When a woman goes maternal, she is open to any solution that will resolve the problem for the sake of the family unit. And what better way to bring her to this state? (I'll give you a hint, it works on men too.)

Tears. That's right, tears. For you manly men unfamiliar with tears, they're tiny droplets of water that are emitted by the inner corner of your eyes. Coupled with spasmodic sobs, it's a very powerful psychological combination if used infrequently. Lots of manly men work on cars, so this technique will work twice as well if you're large and hairy, since it's completely unexpected. It will get an instant response from your woman, because she will never see it coming. The most opportune moment to bring this super-powerful technique to bear is when they're most vulnerable: in their sleep. Allow me to elaborate.

Lets say you've been following this thread and want to buy a Tech 2, only money is kind of tight, and let's be honest, a Tech 2 is not an essential expense to have, (at least in her eyes) compared to say, food, or home heating oil. Your goal: To convince her that not only is a Tech 2 desirable, but essential to your family's well-being.

Start by researching online to identify the best price and place to purchase your soon-to-be-ordered Tech 2. (Positive thinking makes any goal that much more attainable.) When queried by her, you'll need to have this info on the tip of your tongue so you appear to be a problem-solver. (This is one of the things women love about men.)

Wait until she's really tired and has been sleeping for about four hours, and is in REM sleep. (Google this if you need to identify when this is happening.) Quietly whisper, "Special tool . . . Special Tool. . ." about a dozen times. This will interfere with her dream state since she may not know what a "special tool" means. (Or why she's hearing it in the middle of the night.)

Okay, this is the important part. . . Lying with your back toward her, start shaking your shoulders intermittently . . . slowly and increase the intensity. You want to slowly bring her out of her sleep but not be annoyed, -just curious. When she comes to, and asks what's going on, start sniffling once every five seconds, and then say, "Nothing." At this point she should be curious, and will ask, "Are you alright?" This means her maternity state is in the ENABLED mode and you're almost there.

If she asks, "Are you . . . crying?" Give yourself an academy award nod of approval and hesitate before you answer -like you're embarrassed. "Maybe a little. . . I'm just . . . scared."

Continue sniffling, only at a reduced rate, --once every twenty seconds or so. IF she turns on the light, immediately cover your face with your hands. This will add to the embarrassment factor and cover your performance. You get extra style points if you can really tear up, but pretend to wipe your eyes anyway with your back turned to her. Vulnerability is a powerful ally.

You're almost there. Pick up the pace and head down the home stretch now. Begin with something like this, only talk extra slow for added impact: "You know. . . we spent a lot of money to purchase the XLR and with the way the top has been acting up lately. . . there's no way I can manage our money responsibly (big pause for dramatic effect) by taking it in to the shop every few months. . . I know it was my idea to buy it. . . and I feel like I've let you down. . . since this could become a huge financial burden. It's starting to keep me up at night too. I feel so . . . helpless. . . "

If you're been following along and really putting your acting chops into it, you should hear the words you've been working so hard for: "OMG honey, what do you think we should do?"

Lower your head, shake it slowly a few times, then turn to face her. Look into her eyes, and say: "There's a special tool the dealers use to fix all sorts of XLR problems. I can buy it at a discount online and it will pay for itself every time I use it. I just can't think of another way to keep this car without spending a fortune keeping it running as the car ages and more problems will appear. There's lots of support online in the XLR forums, but without the special tool, all I can do is read and sit on the sidelines." Expect her to ask how much this "special tool" will cost at this point. Without missing a beat, say, "It's about the cost of a few of your hair appointments, with a spa day thrown in."

Done.

Don't expect an answer right away. You may need to do this on two or more consecutive nights, so be prepared to change your narrative, but keep to the same basic script. And when she finally decides that you're right and tells you to order one, (don't call it a Tech 2, just a "special tool") you can really turn on the tears, --but they'll be tears of joy.

Last edited:
Telling a wife anything reduces your chances of getting what you want. The ideal response you're shooting from her should sound something like this: "OMG honey, what do you think we should do?" Note two important, key words in this response: honey, and we. These indicate love and acceptance of a shared goal.

To bring her to this critical decision-making tipping point, you must draw her into her most suggestive state. It's like hypnosis, only better. And what is a woman's most open-minded state? I'm talking about her maternal state. When a woman goes maternal, she is open to anything that will resolve the problem at hand. And what better way to bring her to this state? (I'll give you a hint, it works on men too.)

Tears. That's right, tears. For you manly men unfamiliar with tears, they're tiny droplets of water that are emitted by the inner corner of your eyes. Coupled with spasmodic sobs, it's a very powerful psychological combination if used infrequently. Lots of manly men work on cars, so this technique will work twice as well if you're large and hairy, since it's completely unexpected. It will get an instant response from your woman, because they will never see it coming. The most opportune moment to bring this super-powerful technique to bear is when they're most vulnerable: in their sleep. Allow me to elaborate.

Lets say you've been following this thread and want to buy a Tech 2, only money is kind of tight, and let's be honest, a Tech 2 is not an essential expense to have, (at least in her eyes) compared to say, food, or home heating oil. Your goal: To convince her that not only is a Tech 2 desirable, but essential to your family's well-being.

Start by researching online to identify the best price and place to purchase your soon-to-be-ordered Tech 2. (Positive thinking makes any goal that much more attainable.) When queried by her, you'll need to have this info on the tip of your tongue so you appear to be a problem-solver. (This is one of the things women love about men.)

Wait until she's really tired and has been sleeping for about four hours, and is in REM sleep. Look this one up to identify when this is happening. Quietly whisper, "Tech 2 . . . Tech 2" about a dozen times. This will interfere with her dream state since she probably doesn't know what a Tech 2 is. (Or why she's hearing it in the middle of the night.)

This is the important part. . . Lying with your back toward her, start shaking your shoulders intermittently . . . slowly and increase the intensity. You want to slowly bring her out of her sleep but not be annoyed, -just curious. When she comes to and asks what's going on, start sniffling once every five seconds, and then say, "Nothing." At this point she should be curious, and will ask, "Are you alright?" This means her maternity state is in the ENABLED mode and you're almost there. If she asks, "Are you . . . crying?" Give your self an academy award nod of approval and hesitate before you answer -like you're embarrassed. "Maybe a little, I'm just scared." Continue sniffling, only at a reduced rate, once every twenty seconds or so. IF she turns on the light, immediately cover your face with your hands. This will add to the embarrassment factor and cover your performance. You get extra style points if you can really tear up, but pretend to wipe your eyes anyway with your back turned to her.

You're almost there. Pick up the pace and head down the home stretch now. Begin with something like this, only talk extra slow for added impact: "You know, we spent all of that money on the car and with the way the top has been acting up lately, there's no way we can afford to take it in to the shop every few months. I know it was my idea to buy it, and I feel like I've let you down, since it's starting to become a burden. It's starting to keep me up at night too. I feel so helpless. . . "

If you're been following along and really putting your acting chops into it, you should hear the words you've been working so hard for: "OMG honey, what do you think we should do?"

Lower your head, shake it slowly a few times, then turn to face her. Look into her eyes, and say: "There's a special tool the dealers use to fix all sorts of XLR problems. I can buy it at a discount online and it will pay for itself every time I use it. I just can't think of another way to keep this car without spending a fortune keeping it running as the car ages and more problems will appear. There's lots of support online in the XLR forums, but without the special tool, all I can do is read and sit on the sidelines." Expect her to ask how much this "special tool" will cost at this point. Without missing a beat, say, "It's about the cost of a few of your hair appointments, with a spa day thrown in."

Done.

Don't expect an answer right away. You may need to do this on two or more consecutive nights, so be prepared to change your narrative, but keep to the same basic script. And when she finally decides that you're right and tells you to order one, (don't call it a Tech 2, just a "special tool") you can really turn on the tears, --but they'll be tears of joy.

CCCLARK YOUR A WHOOT!!...
But if it works more power to ya!
[emoji12]
But for me I'd just buy it and rather hear her complain about it until the next repair I'd do myself and then she would be like awe honey it's good you bought that special tool!!!
Look at all that money WE saved!!!!!........ LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

That sounds like a lot of beer! - is it ok if spectators have wine, a little rum, maybe a margarita? :drink:

Discretion is the better part of valor. And the military gives medals for valor. Be a hero. Drink whatever you want!

CC :drink:

Last edited:
WOW (again)!! Not ONLY does CCC know a lot about our XLR's........

:lol: :laugh: :chuckle

Chad

Learned to follow what the Tech 2 tells you to do - did a relearn and the first time didn't pull out the service manual when the Tech 2 said "follow service manual instructions." That relearn didn't take! Then I got the service manual out & followed a few extra instructions in there, & everything worked. Top & trunk are now operating perfectly! :thumbsup Trunk history originally showed there was a top position error & it didn't know the trunk lid ajar status.

Thanks for the guidance CC! :wave:

http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/8153-trunk-not-closing-on-own-after-top-cycle-only-opens-with

Victor-V
Glad that worked out. Did the manual instruct you about the beer?
V Happy

You made my day, and I'm glad it all worked out for you. Maybe your (2007) shop manual has more detailed instructions than mine! I'm sure you'll agree, once you get through it the first time, it's pretty easy.

CC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back