Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk not working

vette100

Hi Friends,

My trunk stopped working. I hear the latch open when I press the button but the trunk will not go up or down. I pressed the button inside the car, the button on the remote and the button inside the trunk as well. All seem to be dead.

I have a tech II as well. (not sure how to use it yet :))

As additional background I have replaced the hydraulic pump for the top, the control module and a few hydraulic lines. After I replace that stuff it worked but just recently stopped working.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

From my experience, the top/trunk get "confused". In my case, a relearn with the TechII did the trick. Have you tried to re-index the driver and passenger windows? If you can hear the motor/solenoid for the trunk lock, it's something with the hydraulics. Of course, I could be completely wrong in this case. ;)

Your symptom elaboration needs some more info to determine a recommended troubleshooting path. There is no such thing s providing too much information when remotely describing a problem. A few points to consider:

1) The trunk latch is actuating, but no hydraulically-activated movement indicates the switches/fob are communicating with the FTC module.
2) You mentioned replacing some major top-related components; what was the original fault and were all of the (replaced) components indeed bad?
3) Have you inspected the hydraulic fluid level?
4) Have you verified all applicable fuses are good?
5) Does the pump make any noise at all?
6) Are the windows indexed?
7) Are there any DIC messages?

Next step: Run the full vehicle diagnostic using the GM Service manual with your Tech 2 and report back with the results, if they aren't obvious enough to fix the problem.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
The Tech II is a lifesaver!

Keep in mind if it keeps happening you probably have a sensor on the fritz. If so you'll have to do relearns closer & closer together, then finally replace the sensor (that's what happened to us). Wouldn't hurt to stock up now. ;)

The Tech II is a lifesaver!

Keep in mind if it keeps happening you probably have a sensor on the fritz. If so you'll have to do relearns closer & closer together, then finally replace the sensor (that's what happened to us). Wouldn't hurt to stock up now. ;)

Yep, I bought a front sensor just to have after I learned on here they might be getting scarce

While you're familiarizing yourself with the Tech 2, record all the open and closed count values for the various sensors. The next time you have an issue, refer back to the recorded counts versus the actual counts you're getting and the failure-prone sensor should be obvious.

While position sensor values can drift over time due to age and temp, there's a window of operating count parameters they need to stay within. The count parameters are based on the stored re-learn values. Once a sensor count exceeds those parameters, top operation is interrupted during the cycle or suspended altogether. (Like in the case of what you were experiencing.) When you do a re-learn, the top is forced to operate under supervisory control, and while doing so, new count values are recorded.

CC

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back