Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk Release Problems after Washing

Jeeperron

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Scarlet Pearl XLR
Hello Guys and Gals! In September 2018, I purchased a 2005 XLR with just over 12,000 miles. It is as close to new as I could get! I'm currently up to 22,000 miles and now have a trunk release problem - but only after I wash it. I have only hand washed this car since I have owned it. I don't use a pressure washer, just normal hose pressure. When I wash the car, and I try to open the trunk, the hydraulics try to open the lid, but the latch doesn't release. I have tried all of the ways to open it including from the keyfob, the trunk push button in the car, and the dash button. This also happens if I try the top down button. After sitting for 4 to 12 hours, the latch magically begins working again. So, I'm sure that water is getting into somewhere it doesn't belong. Has anyone had this happen and what was the cause?

Thanks!
Jeeperron

have you tired holding down the trunk with a little pressure when you hit the release button> Also make sure when it is working that it does not spring to either side when the latch releases. It may be in a little bind. other than that I see no reason water should affect the release latch. I do believe you can still get hem

I haven't tried putting any pressure down on the trunk lid when I operate it. I'll give it a try when I wash it in a couple of days. I just get a little excited when I see the trunk flex from trying to open! I'll reply back if it helped or not. Thanks for the reply.

hat sounds like you need a new trunk lock assembly. The motor to lift the trunk should not start until the latch is released. If the pump is trying to open the trunk with it still latched then the switch on the latch must be bad as it should be open to allow the pump to run the cylinders. Did you say you tried the key in bumper to see if it released the latch? Release the latch with the key then hit the open button and see how it works.

I did try the manual release key once and it released, but then immediately powered back down and latched again. I stopped trying it after that. Once everything is dried out, the trunk lid opens perfectly. I wonder if water is getting into the switch on the latch? Once it allows me to open it, there isn't any obvious water or staining in the latch area. I'll need to check into removing the latch assembly and look at the switch you're describing.

Just a thought but check the grounds on the frame behind each rear wheel. I would assume they are getting wet if you rinse the wheel wells.

I have a very similar problem. With the top ip, if I press the trunk button on either the fob or inside the cabin, the trunk makes an attempt to open (comes up about three inches) for a few seconds, then closes. The e-key works to open the trunk normally without me having to do anything besides turn it, which is how I put the top down. But to put the top back up, I have to open the truck with the e-key again. I was under the assumption that I needed to have it "relearned" by a tech 2 diagnostic tool. Just haven't gotten around to giving the stealership $150 to do it. Now I'm wondering if it's actually a latch issue. OP, keep me posted on your trunk issue progress.

With the top ip said:
I’m far from an expert on this but I’m thinking that when you use the key, you are mechanically releasing the truck latch were the buttons are electrical. So maybe the solenoid in the latch is bad.
Top relearn might help, but I think it just updates the stored position sensor values in the top module.

I'm now having issues with Genevieve not letting her trunk open. I had a few issues the last time I put the top down and now this happens.

I'm no expert on the sensor but I know for a fact that the "e-key" as someone put it, is mechanically connected by a cable from the switch in the bumper to the release mechanism bolted to the trunk frame. I've got mine removed trying to understand how it works.

I think that after some failed attempts at the top going up and down, maybe the trunk sensor is in need of a refresher course and needs to "relearn". Unfortunately I have a Chinese Tech 2 that doesn't seem to work at all therefore I might have to bite the bullet and go back to the "stealership" and have them perform this.... AGAIN.

It's an awesome car with a few glitches every once in a while. A bit frustrating to say the least. Just past 40K on the odometer.

UPDATE: I just returned from the garage after re-installing the release module and connecting the connector and trying it a few more times and it worked once then would not release so I disconnected the connector again and then manually rotated the locking mechanism a few times and releasing it with the "e-key" and after a while I closed the trunk using the close button on the trunk lid, then the open switch on the lid several times and it worked.

Then the moment of truth arrived; Try the top again and low and behold, it works great again!

Not sure what I did in all of what I tried but something worked. Hope this helps someone with their trunk release issue.

Last edited:
These all sound like helper strut problems. See if they are leaking. Or remove them and see if they have any open energy left.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom