Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Upgraded factory stereo and added 10" subwoofer

V

Vance

I've had my 2007 XLR-V for a while now and 2 of the things that I wasn't entirely happy with in the car were the factory stereo unit and the bass output from the Bose door speakers. Thus, I sought out to replace the stereo unit and add a subwoofer to the trunk while keeping the rest of the Bose speakers intact. Now, anyone who has tried to work on an XLR sound system knows that it is a very complex process due to the proprietary Bose amplifier controlling almost everything, the lack of a harness or dash kit, and the space limitations, especially on a convertible V model. I eventually came across an installer named Matt Schaeffer who seemed to come up with the simplest (I use that term lightly here) method of installing an aftermarket double din stereo into a 2007 XLR by retaining the factory stereo (hiding it in the trunk storage compartment) and essentially wiring the new one through the CD changer. His video can be seen here that explains it:

That solved the stereo portion of my plan, now the other part was to somehow fit a good subwoofer and amplifier into my trunk, have it fit even when the top is down, and still put out enough bass in a sealed enclosure (ported wouldn't work in an XLR). After a lot of research, I went with the Kenwood DNN992 stereo, Digital Designs TS3510 subwoofer, and Digital Designs M.80b amplifier. A lot of labor later from my favorite installers over at Bonnie and Clyde Stereo in Dallas and you can see the end results! The subwoofer hits very hard yet maintains a high level of SQ (TS is DD's new SQ line of subs). The amplifier control was installed under my dash near the steering wheel as you can see, and the Kenwood stereo has excellent Garmin nav, a 13-band equalizer, and a wonderful interface. I also really liked the custom subwoofer box that they made for me with the matching fabric and everything. Very happy overall with everything and I highly recommend other people upgrade from the ancient stereo unit to a newer one, as well!

Attachments

• image1 (4).jpg
    image1 (4).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,259
  • image2 (1).jpg
    image2 (1).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,385
Last edited:
I've had my 2007 XLR-V for a while now and 2 of the things that I wasn't entirely happy with in the car were the factory stereo unit and the bass output from the Bose door speakers. Thus, I sought out to replace the stereo unit and add a subwoofer to the trunk while keeping the rest of the Bose speakers intact. Now, anyone who has tried to work on an XLR sound system knows that it is a very complex process due to the proprietary Bose amplifier controlling almost everything, the lack of a harness or dash kit, and the space limitations, especially on a convertible V model. I eventually came across an installer named Matt Schaeffer who seemed to come up with the simplest (I use that term lightly here) method of installing an aftermarket double din stereo into a 2007 XLR by retaining the factory stereo (hiding it in the trunk storage compartment) and essentially wiring the new one through the CD changer. His video can be seen here that explains it:

That solved the stereo portion of my plan, now the other part was to somehow fit a good subwoofer and amplifier into my trunk, have it fit even when the top is down, and still put out enough bass in a sealed enclosure (ported wouldn't work in an XLR). After a lot of research, I went with the Kenwood DNN992 stereo, Digital Designs TS3510 subwoofer, and Digital Designs M.80b amplifier. A lot of labor later from my favorite installers over at Bonnie and Clyde Stereo in Dallas and you can see the end results! The subwoofer hits very hard yet maintains a high level of SQ (TS is DD's new SQ line of subs). The amplifier control was installed under my dash near the steering wheel as you can see, and the Kenwood stereo has excellent Garmin nav, a 13-band equalizer, and a wonderful interface. I also really liked the custom subwoofer box that they made for me with the matching fabric and everything. Very happy overall with everything and I highly recommend other people upgrade from the ancient stereo unit to a newer one, as well!
do you have the dimensions of the box

I've been pretty happy with the sound of the XLR's base stereo with the addition of an AUX input that I have a Bluetooth receiver on. The problem I've had with it is it's wild swings in equalization if you set the stock stereo to adjust levels automatically. It REALLY cranks up the base with the top down. Almost too much.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom