Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Which brand of burned CDs and software plays without skipping in the XLR?

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi everyone,
The most unreliable part of my XLR is the Coastal GM Ipod Lockpick.
In the 5 years I've had it, it's broken here and there at least 8 times (sometimes for a few days and sometimes for a few months)....ugh!!

Have seen posts where folks are saying they have been able to burn CDs and play them on their XLR's CD changer.
My unit seems to HATE all burned CDs, which is a shame because I have hundreds of them.

From your experience, which brand of CDs and which software works best so that they can be played in our cars?
I've tried Memorex, Maxell, Sony, Office Depot, HP, and several other brands with no luck.....might play the first 1 or 2 tracks ok, but everything else skips like crazy.
:mad: I was really spoiled before because my Miata and S2000 had 10 disc changers that would play EVERYTHING with no issues- even if the CDs were completely scratched.

Thanks for any tips!
-Mark

Burn them at the slowest speed. Also I would try some that say they are for music. If your car has xm I would look at the aux in cable and an mp3 player.

Thanks for the tip Jazman....what speed do you burn them at?

Wonder if there is just an issue with my cd changer?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I burn my cheap CD's using Itunes. Never have a issue playing them.

I use max speed I can burn at, 52 or 48 I believe , it is a home built unit with a LG Blue ray drive, running on windows 7 but have also burnt CD's on my iMAC system with iTunes. All my music is in iTunes any more so when I bought the XLR it was real disappointing that there was not a aux input.

I have use Memorex, Sony and Believe it or not Circuit City CDs in my XLR and they all work.:D

memorex Music CD-R

I have a lot of CD's and I use Memorex Music CD-R. Have recorded from SONY SONICSTAGE to CD after downloading. Also, I have a SONY RCD-W500C/W100 that allows CD copy and CD recording from external tape or phonograph. I've put a lot of LP's on CD especially since they haven't been issued as CD's. No problems at all.

I wonder if the newer XLR's (2006 and up) have changers that can read burned discs? I test drove a 2006 model before I bought my 2005, and it played burned CDs fine. That same CD will not play in my 2005. I've tried burning on iTunes as slow as 1x, and no luck. A bit of bummer to have hundreds of CDs I've never use again. :mad: But at least my Lockpick has been working lately! :thumbsup

I wonder if the newer XLR's (2006 and up) have changers that can read burned discs? I test drove a 2006 model before I bought my 2005, and it played burned CDs fine. That same CD will not play in my 2005. I've tried burning on iTunes as slow as 1x, and no luck. A bit of bummer to have hundreds of CDs I've never use again. :mad: But at least my Lockpick has been working lately! :thumbsup

My '04 has played a lot of my burned CDs, maybe you need to buy one of those lens cleaning CDs and try cleaning your drive?

Hmmm.....hadn't thought about cleaning it.....it plays original CDs with absolutely no problem at all. It's only burned CDs where it struggles. Could help solve it?

Hmmm.....hadn't thought about cleaning it.....it plays original CDs with absolutely no problem at all. It's only burned CDs where it struggles. Could help solve it?

That Is a bit odd my 05 plays our on laptop burned CD's just fine also! I would agree to try a cleaning disc or check the CD's also! Good Luck[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I had the same issue with burned CD's no matter the brand or recording speed. Had it replaced under warranty and that solved the problem.
:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back