Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

winter driving

binka - I was hoping you did all four tires ... Thatz a smart move.
BTW- Did you purchase a second set of rims or did you use the originals?

got new at all 4 corners.

bought the car, bought the tires=no more $ for rims...i suppose i may go ebaying in the spring.

With all the recent snow, how have you managed with your XLR?

i got the regular ones, and i will update you on my winter driving travels or maybe travails. binkster

actually i was on vacation last week so i missed the 8" on friday. today when i drove to work the streets were pretty much cleared and i had no problems to speak of. tonite could be interesting as i have a very steep driveway...woohoo

so, i've got my 4 dunlop snows and 150 lbs of salt over the axle and(i hope i don't jinx myself) alls well so far. we've had a few nasty snow storms here in s.e. michigan and if possible i wait till the road crews have done there thing(they are very good) or i drive cautiously(i wish more of my fellow drivers would, but....). i have seen suv's, whose drivers think they are in a tank, have mishaps, but i haven't had any real issues. i'll keep you all updated as the winter wears on. binka

I admire your drive, but now days you could have bought an old truck for what you paid for the snow tires and salt.

binka- Glad you are doing well ... So far. Don't forget to use the manual tranny mode for better starts. If you leave the selector in 5th, you will start off in 2nd gear and avoid more wheel spin.

BTW- What do you think of the dry road handling of the tires?

so, i've got my 4 dunlop snows and 150 lbs of salt over the axle and(i hope i don't jinx myself) alls well so far. we've had a few nasty snow storms here in s.e. michigan and if possible i wait till the road crews have done there thing(they are very good) or i drive cautiously(i wish more of my fellow drivers would, but....). i have seen suv's, whose drivers think they are in a tank, have mishaps, but i haven't had any real issues. i'll keep you all updated as the winter wears on. binka

I was born and raised in the snow belt near Buffalo NY... Sure, you can drive that car on snow and even some ice with the right tires and a little extra weight added to the trunk. However, I wouldn't if you have a choice. Too nice a car to be collecting all the salt and other chemicals put on the road. Too many slip and slide dings and bangs on the road and parking lots during the winter. If you can afford it, put that car away for the winter and get what we used to call a "winter wreck", but now I understand that are called "beaters".

I was born and raised in the snow belt near Buffalo NY... Sure, you can drive that car on snow and even some ice with the right tires and a little extra weight added to the trunk. However, I wouldn't if you have a choice. Too nice a car to be collecting all the salt and other chemicals put on the road. Too many slip and slide dings and bangs on the road and parking lots during the winter. If you can afford it, put that car away for the winter and get what we used to call a "winter wreck", but now I understand that are called "beaters".

I was raised in Illoinois, bad winters, snow and ice and it didn't go away until spring. In Colorado we get storms such as today, snowing, blowing and hovering around thirty degrees. Tomorrow the sun will be out and it will all go away. On bad days the SRX comes out of the garage, on good days with dry pavement the XLR comes out, maybe not with the top down but that is okay. I guess I have too much pride to drive a "beater" but also enough pride to keep the XLR in on bad days. First Robin

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but my XLR is my winter vehicle. I bought it to enjoy and drive daily ... Just like a few Vettes I've used as daily drivers. In the past, I've even been known to drive my midyear 427 on a nice winter day. Gotta love the free horsepower on a cold morning.:laugh:

dry road

427..the dunlops have handled well in all driving conditions. they have really impressed me by going up my very steep, snow covered driveway. the same driveway that often beat my last car(03 audi a4 cabrolet-front wheel drive). b
btw, as much as i enjoy this vehicle, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare for really bad days but i buy cars to drive, not to sit in the garage and admire...tho i like to admire this car in my garage-what nice lines, a great looking, driving auto.

I share your thoughts on this matter. Fortunately, on a real bad snow day, my work is usually canceled.

427..the dunlops have handled well in all driving conditions. they have really impressed me by going up my very steep, snow covered driveway. the same driveway that often beat my last car(03 audi a4 cabrolet-front wheel drive). b
btw, as much as i enjoy this vehicle, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare for really bad days but i buy cars to drive, not to sit in the garage and admire...tho i like to admire this car in my garage-what nice lines, a great looking, driving auto.

I just put a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 winter tires on our '96 STS and they are awesome. Kathy is actually looking for deep snow to drive through.:lol:
We have an extra set of wheels as well so I can swap them out when needed.

Bruce :wave:

I didn't read the previous notes on the dunlops, but are they snow tires or the V tread design? I have the V tread design on all four corners. Here in So Cal during the summer they are very soft and dig in with no noise. When it gets cool here I've noticed they get quite hard and they want to squeel and lay rubber, so I stay off of them when they are cold. I'm also in the performance mode whenever I get in the car, that's the first rocker switch I hit.

These tires are indeed rated for mud & snow. I attempt the snow ... Try to avoid the mud. ;)

I didn't read the previous notes on the dunlops, but are they snow tires or the V tread design?

Excellent choice, Bruce. I'm sure she'll grab well ... That is the car.:chuckle

I just put a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 winter tires on our '96 STS and they are awesome. Kathy is actually looking for deep snow to drive through.:lol:
We have an extra set of wheels as well so I can swap them out when needed.

Bruce :wave:

I've had 6 eldorados and STS's. That is not a fair compairason. No mattar how you say it front wheel drive beats rear in snow driving.

they are the snow tires. i drove them for a few weeks on dry pavement, before snow, and while not performance tires, they handled quite nicely, albeit a bit loud. but i am very pleased how they have handled in this very snowy winter. side note: the other day when i went to work and the thermometer was reading -2, my info screen told me that "stabilitrak not active, warming up"...it took 15 minutes for it to become warm enough to go active. b

The comparison I was talking about is front verses rear wheel drive. The eldos were better in the snow than my truck. With new tires they were almost unstopable. The xlr is good but no where near the eldo.

Strange ... Never saw that before even though last week we hit 15 below.

side note: the other day when i went to work and the thermometer was reading -2, my info screen told me that "stabilitrak not active, warming up"...it took 15 minutes for it to become warm enough to go active. b

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom