Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

GM Press Release XLR 2007 or 2004

James Landi

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 (red) with wire grrile
Dear All,

Fate has a way of playing tricks on the unsuspecting-- so, here's the story, and advice I need from you. A 2004 purchased and maintained at a suburban Mass. Cadillac dealership (Norwood Cadillac) with fewer than 30K miles for $ 26K in Raven or should I purchase (a few miles away), at a "high end" second hand lot (International Motor cars), featuring expensive "rich man's throw -aways" a 2007 with fewer than 30K miles for $29K in red, with a XLRV grill. I don't have the pedigree on the maintenance. The International Motor Cars has a limited warranty on deflects. What to do--- looking for advice or a psychologist to help me.

You won't regret taking the V. Also there are many improvements made over the years

I'd say the 07 because the 04 was the beginning and improvements were made in 07.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I agree with Smoothran.

Also red is a faster color!

Just be sure you try to get whatever service records you can to compare, & if you don't already know, check this forum for other things to check ("bucket" in trunk, leaks, roof operation etc).

Good luck!

I'd say the 07 because the 04 was the beginning and improvements were made in 07.

Also in my experience, a car that does lots of just sitting to preserve mileage tends to leak because the seals saturate over time of non-use. So the 04 has sat longer. For $3000 I'd take the newer car.

Yes I agree with Smoothran and get the car fax on it too

Red is faster. I love my 06. Also see if you can take it to your dealer and get an extended warranty.

Last edited:
The 2007 gets my vote. You will enjoy either one. Have fun with which ever you choose.

The red one without a doubt. See if you can get them to come down a little more though. The 2007 will also have the six speed transmission vs. the five speed in the 2004. It's more than just an extra overdrive gear, it's a tougher transmission still used in current production cars.

My wife and I visited and test drove both (2004 and 2007) cars. Although the 2004 "Raven" had 5 thousand fewer miles , there was some evidence that it have been driven in snow... door sill motif corroded on both sides, and evidence of rust on frame members... also a minor ticking valve lifter, less oil pressure than the other car... and a somewhat less dampening on road bumps --- the "red" 2007 with a wire "V" grill proved to carry the day! We had it on the lift... looked new in every respect. Both cars were great, but we own the 2007 and we are very grateful to you for your advice and concern. Thanks for your advice, James

My wife and I visited and test drove both (2004 and 2007) cars. Although the 2004 "Raven" had 5 thousand fewer miles , there was some evidence that it have been driven in snow... door sill motif corroded on both sides, and evidence of rust on frame members... also a minor ticking valve lifter, less oil pressure than the other car... and a somewhat less dampening on road bumps --- the "red" 2007 with a wire "V" grill proved to carry the day! We had it on the lift... looked new in every respect. Both cars were great, but we own the 2007 and we are very grateful to you for your advice and concern. Thanks for your advice, James

Congratulations and welcome to the family! Enjoy your new ride!

Congrats. I know you'll have fun and get lots of questions on your new purchase. This is the right place and everyone here will give you answers. I however would recommend (if you will be storing it for a while) invest in a good battery tender/trickle charger. This is what I did a couple years ago before I left for a 4 month cruise around the world.
c0a203a5ec3f2e091946831fb5376a40.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent news and congratulations on the purchase.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back