Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR OWNER - BC CANADA

Todd

My XLR/V(s)
2004 xlr
Hi all,

I've owned my 2004 XLR for 10 years and have a love/hate relationship with it. Actually, I love the car but hate GM for not supporting it since it was discontinued, such as lack of availability of parts. I'm stockpiling parts that are available for when I need them, if ever.

Black on black, 39,000 miles, Corsa exhaust, Volant dual cold air intake, chrome grille from an '08 Platinum Edition, and 19" XLR OEM chrome rims makes it shiny and growl like a lion.

IMG_0622[1].jpgIMG_0619[1].jpg

Beautiful pictures, you take good care of your car obviously. So is it safe to assume you purchase it new?

I fell in love with them back in 04 but only purchased one in 2011.

We hear you and agree about how GM is not supporting the car very well, but GM also stopped supporting pretty much all their cars after production stopped. (as do all the vehicle manufacturers; :willy_nilly: they are all about you purchasing a new car) We have a shop full of classics that quickly suffered that same fate shortly after the production model changed. The big issue with XLR's is that there was less than 17,000 produced in the 6 years of production and the after market guys are dropping them too.

The end result is you have a iconic & irreplaceable car so enjoy it and keep stock piling! We will all be turning to each other for parts in the future!

Continue to enjoy your car and hopefully we will meet someday in the future! :burnout:

Congratulations on your purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful pictures, you take good care of your car obviously. So is it safe to assume you purchase it new?

I fell in love with them back in 04 but only purchased one in 2011.

We hear you and agree about how GM is not supporting the car very well, but GM also stopped supporting pretty much all their cars after production stopped. (as do all the vehicle manufacturers; :willy_nilly: they are all about you purchasing a new car) We have a shop full of classics that quickly suffered that same fate shortly after the production model changed. The big issue with XLR's is that there was less than 17,000 produced in the 6 years of production and the after market guys are dropping them too.

The end result is you have a iconic & irreplaceable car so enjoy it and keep stock piling! We will all be turning to each other for parts in the future!

Continue to enjoy your car and hopefully we will meet someday in the future! :burnout:

Hey Graytoad.

Thanks! I love my car! I didn't buy it new, I bought it from the owner of a dealership that was going through a divorce. It was sell it, or give it to his soon-to-be ex-wife. $77 K with 5,000 km on it was better than the $127 K for new off the lot! Since then, it's never seen rain or snow :)

I, like everyone else has had a myriad of problems with it, and GM Canada sucks. My headlights melted late 2009 due to the DRL's, but no recall in Canada???? Bastards. Cost me a fortune to replace both. Warranty had just run out. Then, a year and a half later, a lens seal let go after the warranty on my new headlights expired, and as we all know they are a sealed unit so you have to buy the whole damn thing...

The CD player skips, or completely stops playing on a hot day; no Bluetooth or iPod hookup, no updates for the NAV since 2009 (nobody uses a disc anymore)... Changing out the stereo to something killer means the possibility of losing cruise control, steering wheel stereo functions, HUD, OnStar (no big deal here) etc. But I cannot find a car audio installer in Vancouver that knows the XLR and what needs to be done to ensure all the components of the system will work, scrapping the OnStar.

BUT I LOVE MY CAR!!! It's a Cadillac Rock Box :)

Barrett-Jackson, 20 years from now...

Hey Graytoad.

Thanks! I love my car! I didn't buy it new, I bought it from the owner of a dealership that was going through a divorce. It was sell it, or give it to his soon-to-be ex-wife. $77 K with 5,000 km on it was better than the $127 K for new off the lot! Since then, it's never seen rain or snow :)

I, like everyone else has had a myriad of problems with it, and GM Canada sucks. My headlights melted late 2009 due to the DRL's, but no recall in Canada???? Bastards. Cost me a fortune to replace both. Warranty had just run out. Then, a year and a half later, a lens seal let go after the warranty on my new headlights expired, and as we all know they are a sealed unit so you have to buy the whole damn thing...

The CD player skips, or completely stops playing on a hot day; no Bluetooth or iPod hookup, no updates for the NAV since 2009 (nobody uses a disc anymore)... Changing out the stereo to something killer means the possibility of losing cruise control, steering wheel stereo functions, HUD, OnStar (no big deal here) etc. But I cannot find a car audio installer in Vancouver that knows the XLR and what needs to be done to ensure all the components of the system will work, scrapping the OnStar.

BUT I LOVE MY CAR!!! It's a Cadillac Rock Box :)

Barrett-Jackson, 20 years from now...

The only trouble I have had is I keep getting a 'lean code' in relation to my Volant cold air intake: now one else has been having this trouble so my hubby who was tired of removing the code for me so he removed the Volant without telling me....guess what, never noticed the difference. I am sure I would have noticed the reduced engine noise if I drove with the top up but it is always down so I didn't even notice. :lol:

Anyway: KNOCK WOOD :pat: I have not had any trouble to speak of. Trunk release was fubar'ed when I got the car so it was replaced under warranty, I purchased an extended warranty before the original one ran out. I replaced the run flats & exhaust system by choice. I have Bluetooth (2009's got it), if you want some up to date nav discs I can provide you with copies for the cost of mailing but yes, they are the latest :( version available which was actually dated 2008! Some members were testing the Toyota discs, the voice command will not work (never use mine anyway, never figured it out) but apparently the Toyota discs work. I like my Garmin anyway, can preprogram from the hotel room when on the road too and alerts me to traffic issues.

Yes, it is a shame the cars systems are not being supported with updates (all the more reason I love classic cars: everything is so simple in them) I know about the issues of trying to change out the system to something up to date: appears half the cars gadgets runs thru that system. I just forget about all that stuff an enjoy the ride.....at least until your cell phone rings and you have to pull over :mad: ......speaking of which, we get home next week and I can hardly wait to get the XLR out of the garage! :burnout:

I can't begin to imagine we ever selling my XLR, I love it too much. Take care!

Yes greytoad. I tried using the voice commands but every time I did it would do something totally different. So I said heck with this. I'm not using. The cell phone issue. I leave it in a visible place. So when someone calls and I recognize the number, then I just call them back using the Onstar phone. I have so many minutes on that # I need to use it more anyway. I even try and call ppl from that number anyway. (A lot safer then constantly looking at the cell)
The only major trouble I've had so far (knock on wood) is the trunk weatherstrip. I've had to take her in to the dealership 3 x before everything got fixed. (1100.00 parts and labor) I guess small price to pay for the joys of owning these rare rides. I want to paint my calipers and maybe get the rectangle exhaust tips. But I read here that the whole exhaust had to be replaced in order to do that. ( exhaust tips nor the calipers).
Well have a safe trip back north. Hope you have great weather when you are on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd found us,,,,

Welcome to the website!

"Barrett-Jackson, 20 years from now..."

Now there's a thought,,,,,unless its all Hybrids crossing the stage by then? lol...

Welcome

Beautiful 04 XLR. Great Pics. :) Are you going to try to make The Montana Rocket Run posted on the site that Rod sponsored taking place this August? FYI for other procrastinators, the room situation is getting really tight as I waited too long, but did squeak by.

And for Hawkeye's information as I write this we are having a blizzard right now. I kid you not! Ugh! :( It is - 10 Below and with horizontal driving snow. We are to have up to 10" by tomorrow A.M.

FYI Danny in Chicago, 'you' are supposed to own this kind of weather. I just don't deserve it. ;) Huh?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom