Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Servicing

BSHUNK

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR SILVER NICKEL
I am a new owner to a 04 XLR with 13K miles on it. I have just had the check engine light go on and took it to my local Cleveland Cadillac Dealer and after 1 day they told me to come and get it as they don't want to work on it. I get that some of the body parts are unavailable but you would think that the NorthStar engine would still be servicable. Who do other members get to work on theirs cars?

There are a number of reasons why the check engine light comes on. You can get code reader at any auto parts store and see what code it throws. You may want to put on a new gas cap and see if that works.

Thank your lucky stars they were honest with you. David Taylor/Sterling McCall kept my 06 for a year and I got it back in worse shape than I had left it.

As stated the gas cap is a known cause and the codes it can set often seem unrelated. Just make sure you crank it down tight. Run by most any advance or auto zone and havevthem read the codes. Let us know what they are and someone will help you. Other than the top, suspension and a coup!e of other things its just a car that almkst sny shop can service.

Thanks for all the responses! I took it to Classic Cadillac and they didn't seem to have any problem. It turned out to be bad O2 sensor and a faulty ignition coil pack. Not cheap but servicable and nice guys there and very responsive!! Thanks Again

Thats the stealershjp for you. A mechanic would have known if you have a bad coil pack,replaceing it and while removed ,i would have installed a new plug. In 100 miles the o2 sensor would clear itself and you would be fine.that low mileage i would bet the o2 sensor was fine. Mechanic vs parts replacers.

Thats the stealershjp for you. A mechanic would have known if you have a bad coil pack,replaceing it and while removed ,i would have installed a new plug. In 100 miles the o2 sensor would clear itself and you would be fine.that low mileage i would bet the o2 sensor was fine. Mechanic vs parts replacers.
Not many mechanics around nowadays

Thanks for the "Heads Up" At this point I was just glad to find someone to even look at it.

Yeah i dont know why a dealer would turn it away other thsn they most likely had one in the shop they could not get parts for. I highly recommend anyone with one of these cars to shop around for a good independant mechanic. Ask local corvette guys who work on their cars. The dealer is a gm parts replacer. A local reporter in california estimated that out of the 500 plus cars at a california dealership sitting waiting on parts more than half could be on the road if the delear used parts availble from napa and auto zone. these were cars that drove in but after getting tore down to fiiugure out the problem are nkw sitting undriveable waiting for parts.Our cars have to sometimes use used parts that a dealer will not source and some work arounds a dealer will not do. A good indy repair shop will be your friend and easier on your wallet.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom