Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR TARGA CONVERSION COMPLETE

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR
Just wanted to share some pictures of my conversion. I'm sure some people will hate this, but some may like it! I was not able to find a picture or story online of anyone else who has done this so I may be the first. I love the look much better, but I have always preferred targa tops to convertibles, so I am so happy I was able basically make a custom caddy that I enjoy more than ever with the top off or on now. As well as the added bonus of not ever having to deal with top and hydraulic complications and close to 75lbs in weight savings. I look forward to any questions or comments both positive or negative.
GJHK4975.JPG

Attachments

• TCGO0351.JPG
    TCGO0351.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 339
  • UAXB0705.JPG
    UAXB0705.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 802
Wow -thats kind of neat...

I think it needs a rib over the passengers head - it looks unfinished... the C-pillar show go up to the roof and continue on.

But otherwise I think its interesting 👍

uaxb0705-jpg.13523

I like it.....plus no need to be concerned about pump and trunk sensors failing

Can you post close-up pictures of just the roof piece? And how it locks in
to the windshield frame....

Good work (y)

uaxb0705-jpg.13523

Good work (y)
I will post some close up pics soon, however the latching for the front and rear of the targa section are completely stock, I just use the manual release to lock and I lock it.

Very interesting, I think it looks pretty good.

Have you had a chance to see what the airflow is like in "targa mode" on the freeway?

Very interesting, I think it looks pretty good.

Have you had a chance to see what the airflow is like in "targa mode" on the freeway?
Thanks, and yes before I gutted everything that was the first thing I wanted to check. It is no louder than it was in convertible mode before and still quieter than my old c4 corvette was with the targa off. I was a little concerned that there may be some buffeting or wind resonating noise but not at all. Just normal open top wind noise. Its slightly louder with the windows rolled up, but generally if I have the top off I don’t want the windows up anyway.

Very cool indeed! (y)
My comment would be the same as Richard's: I think it might look more 'complete' with some piece between the rear pillars. Maybe I'm just being picky and perhaps because of the angle of the picture.

I wonder if you got another chunk of roof, if that piece could be somehow installed at times when the whole roof is off. Uh-oh... then the thought of the t-top option! Better make that another chunk of roofS ! :lol:

Very cool indeed! (y)
My comment would be the same as Richard's: I think it might look more 'complete' with some piece between the rear pillars. Maybe I'm just being picky and perhaps because of the angle of the picture.

I wonder if you got another chunk of roof, if that piece could be somehow installed at times when the whole roof is off. Uh-oh... then the thought of the t-top option! Better make that another chunk of roofS ! :lol:
Actually I may fabricate something out of fiberglass for that section, I like it as is, but a piece across may indeed look more complete. As for the T-Top idea, I have already been talking with my buddy that does metal fabrication and C&C work about a sort of half roll bar with T top style cross bracing. I love the fact that I am able to experiment with this car, I always loved the design and style but probably would never have purchased one due to the the rarity and price. However I was able to purchase this XLR for a very, very low bargain price in mostly good condition with only 83,000 miles. The main issue with the car was the top function which to make automatic again would have tripled what I paid for the car. So I feel lucky to be able to experiment with it and enjoy driving it, without feeling too guilty. Somewhere there may be a Cadillac engineer crying or maybe getting ideas. LOL

Nice Look... So how is the air flow over the windshield into the rear half of the hard top? I think of the turbulent airflow when you open the rear windows only on a sedan.

Nice Look... So how is the air flow over the windshield into the rear half of the hard top? I think of the turbulent airflow when you open the rear windows only on a sedan.

scartozzitrattoria

No louder than it was with the top back normally, i think because the windshield is just slightly higher than the rear window. Before I went all the way with this i did a few test runs with just the top section off and the rear section tied down to make sure that buffeting or turbulence was not going to be an issue. Stereo is still stock and can be heard clearly at 70 or 80 mph minus a little bass.

uaxb0705-jpg.13523

Good work (y)

Attachments

• IMG_6801.JPG
    IMG_6801.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_6802.JPG
    IMG_6802.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 250
scartozzitrattoria

No louder than it was with the top back normally, i think because the windshield is just slightly higher than the rear window. Before I went all the way with this i did a few test runs with just the top section off and the rear section tied down to make sure that buffeting or turbulence was not going to be an issue. Stereo is still stock and can be heard clearly at 70 or 80 mph minus a little bass.
Kool. Different look to the profile for sure......

MHO: Needs a Targa Bar badly. (As in first comment by Richardyoo) Sorry.

Just wanted to share some pictures of my conversion. I'm sure some people will hate this, but some may like it! I was not able to find a picture or story online of anyone else who has done this so I may be the first. I love the look much better, but I have always preferred targa tops to convertibles, so I am so happy I was able basically make a custom caddy that I enjoy more than ever with the top off or on now. As well as the added bonus of not ever having to deal with top and hydraulic complications and close to 75lbs in weight savings. I look forward to any questions or comments both positive or negative.
View attachment 13521Can you post the steps to the conversion

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back