Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V Front Tire Size Change

I have another brand, Dunlop sticky tires. They make a tire that is very soft and will not lay rubber all over the road at a light when you mash it. It just sits and goes like a rocket. They wear very well considering the grab effect in summer, but I find they get hard after 3 years and lose the grab in the winter because they don't heat up. I'm do my third change out come the colder months, ha ha in Southern Californy. I also gave up run flats because you cant get these in run flats and now I can rotate my tires. DON'T go bigger than stock rears, I tore my back inner fenders up and it was all on the company that said they had plenty of clearance and they replaced all four at no charge.:blinzel: Standby

I'm wondering which model Dunlop's you were talking about in this post. I found a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT in the V-series rear size of 255/40-19 for $160 per tire delivered. Since this post is already a few years old, how has your experience with the Dunlops round out?

Tire size - change ?

I'm a little confused here . I was under the impression that the stock tires (Pirrelli) were run flat for a reason . After all there is no spare tire or jack furnished . What do you plan on doing when and if you get a flat ? Rayzor

I'm a little confused here . I was under the impression that the stock tires (Pirrelli) were run flat for a reason . After all there is no spare tire or jack furnished . What do you plan on doing when and if you get a flat ? Rayzor

I have a mounted, balanced spare in my garage and AAA service. You will become more enlightened if you read into this thread deeper and come to understand the Perelli no longer manufactures the tire in question. Not to mention I have yet to experience a run flat tire that compares to a standard tire in ride or handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a tire plug kit and a small compressor and fix a flat can of sealant. Many new cars don't have spare tires or runflats and this is what some new car manufacturers supply only. Will work for a puncture but not any good if you have a blowout which is the same problem anyway if you rely on runflats. You have a TPMS system on this car that provides tire pressure by tire. Learn to use it and keep an eye on the pressures to reduce the risk of a blowout and carry the repair kit and you will be OK.

I carry a tire plug kit and a small compressor and fix a flat can of sealant. Many new cars don't have spare tires or runflats and this is what some new car manufacturers supply only. Will work for a puncture but not any good if you have a blowout which is the same problem anyway if you rely on runflats. You have a TPMS system on this car that provides tire pressure by tire. Learn to use it and keep an eye on the pressures to reduce the risk of a blowout and carry the repair kit and you will be OK.

That repair kit is going to cost you a tire, a TPMS sensor, and possibly a wheel. The goop in the can of "fix-a-flat" will destroy a TPMS sensor. And I was recently told by my tire supplier that most tire shops won't touch a tire with "fix-a-flat" goop in it. My guy won't even dismount a tire with that stuff in it. So if you're not willing to clean it out yourself, you might as well throw the wheel and tire away.

AAA or AARP Roadside assistance is much cheaper.

You should get a warning on the DIC before the tire goes flat unless you hit something really big and loose all the air at once. We stopped for lunch and when I started the XLR back up I immediately got a warning of low tire pressure, walked around the car and saw one of my tires was really low. Googled tire service and drove slowly about 1/2 mile to a tire shop and got it repaired. I also have a compressor, a plug kit, and as a last resort carry a bottle of slime (better than walking 100 miles in the desert). As a backup I also carry AAA for a little piece of mind. Never had to use them so far.

You should get a warning on the DIC before the tire goes flat unless you hit something really big and loose all the air at once.

I experienced sudden and complete loss of pressure in the right, rear tire, part of my set of brand new Continental ExtremeContact DW that had less than 300 miles on them. I was changing lanes on the SR 118 at about 75~ MPH when it happened and my DIC lit up like Rockefeller Center on December 2. I had to limp down the shoulder about 2 miles to get off the freeway since stopping there was NOT safe. While I did not damage the rim, the tire shoulder was toast rendering it unrepairable.

I will say that Tire Rack stepped up and honored the Road Hazard Warranty and sent me a check for the full amount of the new tire plus shipping. AAA towed the car to my local Firestone so the whole thing cost me $29 to mount, balance and replace the tire sensor. Not bad considering.

I found a chrome OEM XLR wheel on line, purchased another new tire and had Firestone mount and balance that one so there's always a spare in my garage. Now that I'm running the same size all the way around, I put the spare in rotation just to keep the wear relatively even.

I experienced sudden and complete loss of pressure in the right, rear tire, part of my set of brand new Continental ExtremeContact DW that had less than 300 miles on them. I was changing lanes on the SR 118 at about 75~ MPH when it happened and my DIC lit up like Rockefeller Center on December 2. I had to limp down the shoulder about 2 miles to get off the freeway since stopping there was NOT safe. While I did not damage the rim, the tire shoulder was toast rendering it unrepairable.

I will say that Tire Rack stepped up and honored the Road Hazard Warranty and sent me a check for the full amount of the new tire plus shipping. AAA towed the car to my local Firestone so the whole thing cost me $29 to mount, balance and replace the tire sensor. Not bad considering.

I found a chrome OEM XLR wheel on line, purchased another new tire and had Firestone mount and balance that one so there's always a spare in my garage. Now that I'm running the same size all the way around, I put the spare in rotation just to keep the wear relatively even.

What caused a new tire to fail like that?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom