Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR won't start

gamblingman

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Silver
So i've been searching through the forum and it seems that most starting problems revolve around the FOB.
My car won't start and the FOB is fine.
I dropped the car with a valet driver last night, he got in and moved it about 4 feet. The valet left early and brought my keys to me. When I finished, went to the car, everything works fine, put my foot on the brake, and pressed the start button. At first I thought it started, because everything seems like the car is running. the lights go on, the backup sensor starts working, lights on, radio on, the car thinks its on, but it didn't even crank the engine. I had someone attempt to give me a jump, thinking maybe the battery had run low, but still no crank. Not even the click of a solenoid. I detached the battery cables (one at a time) and left them off for about a minute, re hooked them up, but that did nothing as well. Contacts look good at the battery, I'm baffled and could use some guidance before i take it to the dealer for an expensive look. Is it possible the valet driver hit a switch or something?

It could be a number of things, but it's always best to try the easiest/most likely first.

1) Have you tried to start the car with the fob in the glove compartment slot?
2) Have you cycled the shifter? The Body Control Module may not be receiving a signal indicating the shift lever is in PARK.
3) Have you checked all fuses (under the passenger side toe board and under the hood?)

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
Same issue

Gamblingman, Did you resolve your issue. My 2004 XLR is doing the exact same thing. Thanks.

Gamblingman, Did you resolve your issue. My 2004 XLR is doing the exact same thing. Thanks.

Do the brake lights work correctly? Ie, do they come on with pressure on the brake pedal and go off when you take your foot off? If not, consider a fault in the brake pedal position sensor and/or circuit. The BPPS can be recalibrated with a Tech-2. If you have a problem with the BPPS or the circuit to the BCM, you won't get crank and you can't get out of park.

i also had this problem.
i had bad battery in my fob.
a couple of times i had to put the fob into the slot in the glove box.
however it did initially say "fob not detected"

new battery , and everything is fine.

I tried to reply to my thread last year once I had the problem fixed. It was the shifter cable plastic grommet problem that has been documented a few places on this forum. There is a plastic grommet on the end of the cable where it mates up with the tranny on the rear of the car. It crumbles at some point, so the slack doesn't allow the shifter to properly put it in park or neutral or whatever gear you think you are in. The repair isn't cheap, there are alot of little parts to take off and put back on. I've heard don't attempt it without a lift. Hope this helps.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom