Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub of Cadillac XLR news and information! Click here to check out the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thread: 09 bumper cover

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR

Default 09 bumper cover

I swear that I had read a thread about upgrading older XLRs to the 09 front bumper, but I just spent 20 minutes searching the site and couldn't find it...so my question is, what is involved with installing a 09 front bumper cover, fog lights, etc. on a pre-09 XLR? is it a strait up replacement or is there more involved?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Xenon Blue XLR

The '09 bumper fits directly inplace of the '05 bumper. It takes a few parts to do it, but I think its well worth the end result. My ACC worked with the '05 bumper, and I had it placed directly behind a "v-series" logo on the lower grille, STILL WORKS! Keep in mind you'll have to paint the fenders too, to fog in the freshly painted bumper. Best upgrade I've done to my XLR.
    You need:
    '09 bumper cover
    '09 foglights
    '09 foglight grilles
    '09 upper & lower grille (theres a few different combination you can go with)
    pigtails, to connect old harness to new foglights
    Plastic kit wind deflection under bumper cover (3 piece kit)
    Chrome lip on hood (optional)

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 XLR

I do agree the '09 front end looks great. Thanks for the list.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Xenon Blue XLR

Would also like to add, once I did the switch, I got a check engine light. Went to the dealership and they pulled up a code saying "too much air entering engine compartment"... lol, "remove aftermarket grille". So I removed the lower wind deflector, and have never gotten the light again, and she still runs cool. Thinking about it, from an '05 front end, you go from your only air source is that lower wind deflector and a small part of the lower grille. In the '09 grille setup I did, I was getting air from upper and lower grilles and lower wind deflector. Literally took me longer to get the car in the air, then it did to take the wind deflector off.