Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Blue Smoke on Start-up

R

royaloil

:bash:I have a 2004 XLR that has been showing puffs of blue smoke at start-up. I've did some research, and it's sounds like possibly a leaky valve seal. Was wondering if anyone knows of a good oil additive that may prevent this from happening, or other suggestions.

:bash:I have a 2004 XLR that has been showing puffs of blue smoke at start-up. I've did some research, and it's sounds like possibly a leaky valve seal. Was wondering if anyone knows of a good oil additive that may prevent this from happening, or other suggestions.
You are running synthetic oil aren't you? You never hear of this in an Xlr because synthetic oil doesn't smoke when burned.

smoke on startup

You are running synthetic oil aren't you? You never hear of this in an Xlr because synthetic oil doesn't smoke when burned.

Early on mine started to smoke pretty badly on startup. Dealer replaced a valve, still smoked and under warranty GM replaced the entire left head curing the problem. I don't remember if it used much oil but it definitely smoked. And I have always used Mobile 1 in the car. Happened 10 years ago so kinda fuzzy on the details. My other two cars with Northstars never smoked but sure leaked.

JIM

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back