Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

K&N Air Filter

X

XLR-Vette

Has anyone replaced their air filter for more flow? If so what brand and part #. It sure looks like the Corvette's .

I would make a suggestion here if I may. Volant has a double cone filter system for the V and if you look through your grill with a flash light you will see some black matting with cut out designs in front of the filters. Remove this matting along with the Volant and a tech at Bowling Green told me I picked up 30 hp by removing the matting because your ram-airing right into your supercharger.
Has anyone replaced their air filter for more flow? If so what brand and part #. It sure looks like the Corvette's .

The Volant is a good system ... Especially for your V. In my base XLR, I chose the K&N and have been very pleased. I'm sure it would work well in the V too.

Marc, yes you can do the same thing for the XLR. I have pictures of how to remove the matting when you're ready, a good exhaust would help too. My Volant system was $500 and was the second one installed by Volant here in Fontana, CA., and I would imagine the XLR is probably a lot less now, maybe even down in the $300 to $400 range, but well worth it.
Does anyone know of any tweaks for a non v or would the same apply?

XLR-V Lungs

say the black matte behind the grille and I would be reluctant to remove it since we have so much rain here in Fl and there would be no membrane to stop it.
Most of my Hot Rod friends would cringe but hey how much more power do I need? It already has more than my last Corvette I would just like it to breathe better.

Yea, you have a point here, but what about water injection, keeps that supercharger running cool. Might have to change out the cone filters once in awhile.
say the black matte behind the grille and I would be reluctant to remove it since we have so much rain here in Fl and there would be no membrane to stop it.
Most of my Hot Rod friends would cringe but hey how much more power do I need? It already has more than my last Corvette I would just like it to breathe better.

Thanks Bob, I will look into it and then get the instructions from you.

Here is the info I had some time ago on part #'s

2004 XLR K&N Part # 33-2063-1 Price $ 57.49e

2005-2008 K&N Part # 33-2305 Price $ 53.07e

There doesn't seem to be much difference in size either one may work.
I searhed K&N site and price listed are current online buy price. You do need two of these either way you go.

Hope this helps.

Another 2 or 3 hundred and you can have the double cone Volant system which will give you a lot more air. Just my .02
Here is the info I had some time ago on part #'s

2004 XLR K&N Part # 33-2063-1 Price $ 57.49e

2005-2008 K&N Part # 33-2305 Price $ 53.07e

There doesn't seem to be much difference in size either one may work.
I searhed K&N site and price listed are current online buy price. You do need two of these either way you go.

Hope this helps.

Every volant setup I have found is for 2005 and newer and in the mid 300's

Marc, yes you can do the same thing for the XLR. I have pictures of how to remove the matting when you're ready, a good exhaust would help too. My Volant system was $500 and was the second one installed by Volant here in Fontana, CA., and I would imagine the XLR is probably a lot less now, maybe even down in the $300 to $400 range, but well worth it.

I see only one problem with this for the base XLR and that is the stock grille would need to be replaced as it is a solid structure, hence no air passage. So, XLR owners would have the cost of the after-market grille added in.

Floyd

Right on target again my friend, but you would still get more air,even from the bottom grill. Those GM filters are only sucking engine air in which doesn't make an sense to me.:blinzel:
I see only one problem with this for the base XLR and that is the stock grille would need to be replaced as it is a solid structure, hence no air passage. So, XLR owners would have the cost of the after-market grille added in.

Floyd

I did find a site "D3" who seem to hot rod XLR's and they have some pretty extensive aftermarket items. Still I cannot see how any one has engineered to have cold air flow with no chance of water getting into the system and possibly thru to the MAF. Maybe we need to contact Reeves Callaway and see if he would like to tweek and XLR instead of only Corvettes? Anyone know him?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom