Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Part of a Motor Trend Story

XLR-V Lover

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR-V
The following was contained in a box within a story concerning the future of Cadillac's various models:

WHAT ABOUT THE XLR?

With it's insignificant volume (just 1249 built this year to Sept. 1), this is an even bigger question mark than the Escalade. The main problem is that the C7 Corvette is on temporary hold while GM waits for clarity over the next-gen CAFE regs. No new Corvette means no new XLR, as they are built off the same hardware. Cadillac needs to upgrade the two-seater's interior and further delineate it from the Corvette, but it must be done cheaply and it must be done well. If the C7 isn't green-lighted soon, the XLR may turn out to be a one-generation model.

Floyd

I've heard a rumor that they have stopped production of the XLR at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. Right now, I'm trying to get official confirmation or denial of the rumor...

I've heard a rumor that they have stopped production of the XLR at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. Right now, I'm trying to get official confirmation or denial of the rumor...

I hope you will be able to deny the rumor. It would be ashame to not see the XLR made anymore. It is a beautiful car.

It wouldn't surprise me; with the cheesy upgrades they did on the 2009 mid-cycle upgrade. The side vents are horrible in my opinion. Some of the upgrades were good i.e. finally offering two-tone interior (not enough color options, though) redesigned grille and front fascia, and rear valance are nice touches. The new colors offered are good as well.

Would like to see the X make it to a total redesign; maybe they would get it right on interior upgrades; bluetooth, MP3 hookup, more two-tone options; the next time around and lose the chinsy side vents.

Just my opinion!!

I guess I may be one of the few who purchased a 2009 model (after having a 2004 and 2006). I really like the upgrades they made in the interior, front grill etc. but am not a fan of the vents. As many did at Rendezvous III, I expressed my dislike of the vents, but have to accept them if I am to own the newest model. I hope that we do not lose the XLR and they go the way of the Allante.

I believe that my wife and I can claim to be the biggest fans of the XLR since this is my third and my wife has had four (2004, 2005, 2006 and 2008).

I guess I may be one of the few who purchased a 2009 model (after having a 2004 and 2006). I really like the upgrades they made in the interior, front grill etc. but am not a fan of the vents. As many did at Rendezvous III, I expressed my dislike of the vents, but have to accept them if I am to own the newest model. I hope that we do not lose the XLR and they go the way of the Allante.

I believe that my wife and I can claim to be the biggest fans of the XLR since this is my third and my wife has had four (2004, 2005, 2006 and 2008).

Jim,

I figured you and Jean were doing your part to keep the XLR line running:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It will be ashame to see it go the way of the Allante. I beleive it is far superior to anything currently out there trying to compete!!

From David Caldwell, Cadillac Communications
October 31, 2008, 4:02 PM ET

RE: Cadillac XLR Production

Rob,

There's nothing particularly different happening with respect to the Cadillac XLR's production. We've revised and enhanced the XLR for 2009 model year, as you know. At the same time, as you also know, the auto market is undergoing some changes right now. Industry volume is lower than its been in a long time. It's a very different and uncertain market. These economic issues apply to basically the entire car industry. The XLR is no exception, so the production schedule at Bowling Green is certainly affected. But we are building XLRs - though the schedule is reduced and might continue to change as the model year continues. There have been periods in which we take it down, then resume again. That's what's happening now. Since 2004, we've built the XLR at various rates of production volume -- not unusual for a sports car that is not produced in big volumes overall. We don't release the weekly or monthly rates of production - partially due to the fact that these rates vary quite a bit over time. And it's an internal thing any way. As you probably know the XLR is constructed in a distinct part of the overall factory, so it's schedule can and does sometimes differ from what the total plant is doing overall.

Thanks Rob - reading that, it appears David did his very best to almost provide a somewhat ambiguous response! :confused:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom