Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New deck cover

Doug-J

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Light Platinum
I will be installing my new deck cover with the XLR and Crest logo this weekend. How is the best way to remove the origional inserts with out damaging the cover or inserts? Thanks Doug J:pat:

I will be installing my new deck cover with the XLR and Crest logo this weekend. How is the best way to remove the origional inserts with out damaging the cover or inserts? Thanks Doug J:pat:
Doug,

The best way is with a trim pad removal tool; however if you purchased the panel new it should have come with new inserts. If you have a body shop buddy they more than likely have the tool--it doesn't take long to chage it out.

Good Luck,

That's easy for you to say say say say say, sorry but after reading Marks Boutique post I can't help but stutter. BTW, I'm just trying to help a friend get started with a boutique he doesn't really own and I know that to be true your honor.................side bar judge!.
psssssss pssssss pssssss, OK Judge?

My adviser took off about 8 of those darn things and broke 3, luckily I was at the dealers and they had more. The plug for the trunk closer is the toughest, take your time working it out, everything goes back easy.
Cubby...........I had him unplug my trunk 3rd light so you can see my WR a lot better at night when I hit the brakes.
Doug,

The best way is with a trim pad removal tool; however if you purchased the panel new it should have come with new inserts. If you have a body shop buddy they more than likely have the tool--it doesn't take long to chage it out.

Good Luck,

Doug,

I picked up a set of reasonably-priced professional trim removal tools from the Eastwood Co. The only downside is they send you a regular catalog until they get a message stating you are deceased.

I also bought their nylon Master Installer Nylon Pry Tool Kit (PN 43459) for 34.99 which I use a lot more often than I ever thought I would. The nylon tools don't mar any surfaces and work very well.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=12214&itemType=PRODUCT

The plastic keepers for the deck lid liner are surprisingly easy to inflict damage upon during removal; but as stated, you get a new set with the new deck liner. Installation of the liner is pretty quick and you'll smile every time you open the trunk and see it. Like the rear sway bar, this is something GM should have included with every XLR. It compliments the vehicle's appearance nicely.

Have fun!
CC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry