Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Key stash?

i would think the best/safest place would be in your wallet? :dunno:

Given the penalty for battery failure on the road. Where is a good place to "stash" the key for emergency access?

I can't find the original post but what I did was take one of those magnetic key boxes. Then I found a spot under the rear of the car that had a metal bracket. I believe it was bracing for the bumper. I then took reusable zip ties and fastened it so it never rattles off. Actually checked it acouple weeks ago and still there after two years.

I can't find the original post but what I did was take one of those magnetic key boxes. Then I found a spot under the rear of the car that had a metal bracket. I believe it was bracing for the bumper. I then took reusable zip ties and fastened it so it never rattles off. Actually checked it acouple weeks ago and still there after two years.

Great! I've never tried a "hide-a-key" box. I guess this is as good a time as any.

I was just looking at my Duralast battery the other day and wondered about this while watching a episode of "Modern Family" where the wife had lost her key on the beach. :confused: Correct me if I'm worng, but isn't there another back-up battery somewhere in the trunk? If so, doesn't that need to be checked-replaced too?

key

I use a hide-a-key on the frame with a fob wrapped in foil so it won't be detected by the car. I keep it in the rear compartment.

Given the penalty for battery failure on the road. Where is a good place to "stash" the key for emergency access?

I'm not sure this what your looking for :dunno:........I purchased a 2008 FOB which has the key inside the FOB so I don't have to carry the bulky key separate. As long as I have my FOB, I have the key. :wave:

Mike

I'm not sure this what your looking for :dunno:........I purchased a 2008 FOB which has the key inside the FOB so I don't have to carry the bulky key separate. As long as I have my FOB, I have the key. :wave:
Hi Mike
I know when we was traveling to BG together you mentioned needing to buy a certain year FOB forgot what year that was.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Want to let anyone interested know that you can get spare keys made cheap they are a just regular keys!
I'd love a new solution to, I keep mine on key ring with the FOB and hate how bulky it is! Like the FOB that holds the key inside ideal, but probably an expensive solution. I'd think after purchasing than you would need to have it programmed yet!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Mike

Mike - That sounds like the perfect solution! I'll look in to this and no doubt pay the "Cadillac Tax".

JD

Hi Mike
I know when we was traveling to BG together you mentioned needing to buy a certain year FOB forgot what year that was.

Mike

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

I guess I need to get my eyes check it says 2008 Lol
Got another question how or who can cut the key to fit the car?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

I guess I need to get my eyes check it says 2008 Lol
Got another question how or who can cut the key to fit the car?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Dan, I purchased my FOB from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-08-09-1...adillac|Model:CTS&hash=item4accb6bfae&vxp=mtr

The blank key inside, I took it to a local locksmith (not a box store) that I knew was competent to cut the key which cost $2. I actually purchased 2, one for each XLR and they work great.

You can purchase the FOBs from a lot of vendors and varying price ranges, just make sure it has a blank key inside. :wave:

Cool thanks Mike
Merry Christmas to you and Amy!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Key Stash/Battery Failure.

The Battery failure situation is a concern to me and my solution will be to attach some 10-12 ga. Insulated wire from each battery post and connected to a heavy duty 3 prong Female plug. I will put a dummy plug in the Battery feed plug to keep it dry and clean.
I will make up a matching (polarity) Male plug with Red and Black leads attached to alligator clips. I have not yet determined a location for the plug.
There are other options like battery leads connected to 1/4"x 2" SS bolts several inches apart through a nonconductive area that Booster cables could be connected to. Identification of ± must be clear and permanent.
Certainly there should be a key lock on the drivers door.

If I go with the plug setup, I will store the pigtails in the trunk compartment cellar and have a key in a Magnetic container on the frame so I can open the Trunk lid manually. Even a + cable exiting to the outside from the Battery would work as long as it is insulated from the environment and other grounds. With the 2 wire setup, the pigtails can be used for trickle charge, opening the door and for a quick boost to start if necessary.
Comments/Ideas?
Gord.

That sounds like a lot of work. I also have a key in a box zip-tied to the frame so I can open the trunk. With the trunk open, it's easy to open the (drivers) door and then pop open the hood to get access to the battery. EVERYONE should try the "emergency opening procedure" - it eliminates the panic you feel if you actually need to do it! I actually had a mild panic attack the first time I had this issue until I remembered that I DID have the key - it was just attached to the car instead of my key ring! Remember, this is also beneficial if you misplace/lose your fob as well as if the battery dies!

I do have a Battery Tender on the car; I just used their (supplied) leads to attach to my own battery. I always put it on the tender so my hood is usually popped when I'm home.

You probably wouldn't be able to jump start your car with your proposed setup. You'd need some dramatically thicker wire to carry the current needed to get it going, unless you could get your setup VERY close to the battery. Of course, a trickle charger wouldn't be an isue.

FWIW, I also carry a spare fob in the trunk with no battery installed in it (I do keep one with it, but not installed). You can start the car with it as long as you put it in the slot in the glove box. I do check it annually to make sure it's still good.

AND, my fellow XLR owners, remember to MANUALLY (with the fob) lock your car when you leave it unattended for long periods of time. This will help your battery life, as the car won't be "searching" for you and the fob constantly. (it's otherwise always polling the area to look for you!)

YMMV.

The Battery failure situation is a concern to me and my solution will be to attach some 10-12 ga. Insulated wire from each battery post and connected to a heavy duty 3 prong Female plug. I will put a dummy plug in the Battery feed plug to keep it dry and clean.
I will make up a matching (polarity) Male plug with Red and Black leads attached to alligator clips. I have not yet determined a location for the plug.
There are other options like battery leads connected to 1/4"x 2" SS bolts several inches apart through a nonconductive area that Booster cables could be connected to. Identification of ± must be clear and permanent.
Certainly there should be a key lock on the drivers door.

If I go with the plug setup, I will store the pigtails in the trunk compartment cellar and have a key in a Magnetic container on the frame so I can open the Trunk lid manually. Even a + cable exiting to the outside from the Battery would work as long as it is insulated from the environment and other grounds. With the 2 wire setup, the pigtails can be used for trickle charge, opening the door and for a quick boost to start if necessary.
Comments/Ideas?
Gord.

I don't understand what your trying to accomplish? If your battery goes dead your still gonna need assistance with a jump "power supply". Look into a battery jump box that piggybacks to your battery. Their about the size of a pack of cigarettes that hooks up and mounts to the side of the battery. Theirs positive and neg. hookups and it takes and stores battery voltage. When the battery dies you pop the hood press the button on the box and it supplies enough power to start you car. I used this setup on some maintenance trucks and works great.
Like homegameroom said 12ga. is to thin for that kind of amperage. My battery tender also came with leads for it which exits under the hood right by the pass. hinge for the hood. The connector can only be hooked up one way and has a sealed cap when not in use.
With a new battery,and using a battery tender when not used I don't think your car will leave you stranded. At least not for a dead battery unless you have electrical problems. Good luck

I don't understand what your trying to accomplish? If your battery goes dead your still gonna need assistance with a jump "power supply". Look into a battery jump box that piggybacks to your battery. Their about the size of a pack of cigarettes that hooks up and mounts to the side of the battery. Theirs positive and neg. hookups and it takes and stores battery voltage. When the battery dies you pop the hood press the button on the box and it supplies enough power to start you car. I used this setup on some maintenance trucks and works great.
Like homegameroom said 12ga. is to thin for that kind of amperage. My battery tender also came with leads for it which exits under the hood right by the pass. hinge for the hood. The connector can only be hooked up one way and has a sealed cap when not in use.
With a new battery,and using a battery tender when not used I don't think your car will leave you stranded. At least not for a dead battery unless you have electrical problems. Good luck

Stella
You quote: When the battery dies you pop the hood press the button on the box and it supplies enough power to start you car.
Well you still need to get under the locked hood with our cars to push the button! We would still need to do the bumper key and all that to get in the car!
If there was away to mount this box where it could be accessible to get power to the battery from the exterior of the car you could get enough juice to the battery to jump start or at least open the door to open the hood and jump the battery! The box you speak about is still under the locked hood that you can not get too with a dead battery!
This would of been a cool thing if Cadillac would of thought of an exterior plug that we could of had a plug to plug into and jump the battery!
This maybe an interesting ideal to rig up in a hidden way to do this!
Thanks for causing a project "BRAINSTORM"
Where can I purchase this box that jumps the battery?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry