Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top problem history

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I got to wondering how much top problems my car had so I sat down and studied the warrenty repair history. WOW. Get this, rear compartment position switch replacement 4/26/07, top position switch sensor 8/11/06, top align 6/1/06, rear compartment close panel cylinder replacement 10/18 04, folding top rear panel replacment 10/18 04, folding top rear panel replacment again 6/21/04, Hydraulic top hose assembly replacement 6/21/04, front panel position sensor, folding top sensor, rear deck lid position sensor, and folding top module 12/31/08. It is working fine now but if that doesn't qualify for a lemon I dont know what does. I really love the car but if it quits again I may have to talk to a lawer. I just wonder if any other cars have had this muck trouble.:bash:

Luckily 40,000 miles and no top problems with mine. I use it a lot. Actually the XLR has been more problem free than my 97 Catera or 99 Eldo. Hopefully yours is solid now.

Thats what i'm hoping for. I've had 5 eldos, 2 vette's, 1 allante and a gmc truck and they have all been great.

These cars are odd. When I was looking I found a stunning black over cashmere, very low mileage and very clean. I saw a lot of obviously neglected cars that I just passed on. Anyhow, this car was a bit high, but I ran the service /warranty history. No wonder the car had low miles, the previous owner just visited the car at the service dealer. There were many entries, some very unusual for a low mileage car. I passed on it. Then I found one with a little more mileage, for a whole lot less money that just had impeccable maintenance and virtually no warranty work. Obviously that is the car I bought. Anyhow, the point is, some cars just seem to have more problems before they get sorted. Don't lemon it, just get it fixed by a reputable dealer that deals with XLRs.
Bruce

Bruce, can't help stepping in here and letting you know that when the dealer refuses to fix an obvious problem and GM backs up the dealer. We general public have no choice but to lemon a vehicle.
I'll let Mswaim speak for himself, but as for my 04, the temperature on an a summer day was 82 degree's. With a heat gun the cup holder with the top up registered 147 degrees. The heat coming off the center console was enough to darn near burn your leg on it if it wasn't for the carpet.
Would you consider driving this car and not lemoning it?
I gave them 12 attempts at fixing it and was told it's not a problem or can't duplicate. Of course they can't duplicate it by driving it down the street and back.
They get three chances now and then it gets lemoned.................that's the law in California.:blinzel: BTW...........three dealers couldn't fix it.
I bought a 06-V with that money and found that the air was being moved much better under the car and if I put my louvers down over the nav system the cold air which is on during the summer would keep the cup holder and console a lot cooler, which brings up another point, why don't we have cold cup holders like some of GM's other products.:pat:
These cars are odd. When I was looking I found a stunning black over cashmere, very low mileage and very clean. I saw a lot of obviously neglected cars that I just passed on. Anyhow, this car was a bit high, but I ran the service /warranty history. No wonder the car had low miles, the previous owner just visited the car at the service dealer. There were many entries, some very unusual for a low mileage car. I passed on it. Then I found one with a little more mileage, for a whole lot less money that just had impeccable maintenance and virtually no warranty work. Obviously that is the car I bought. Anyhow, the point is, some cars just seem to have more problems before they get sorted. Don't lemon it, just get it fixed by a reputable dealer that deals with XLRs.
Bruce

Bruce, can't help stepping in here and letting you know that when the dealer refuses to fix an obvious problem and GM backs up the dealer. We general public have no choice but to lemon a vehicle.
I'll let Mswaim speak for himself, but as for my 04, the temperature on an a summer day was 82 degree's. With a heat gun the cup holder with the top up registered 147 degrees. The heat coming off the center console was enough to darn near burn your leg on it if it wasn't for the carpet.
Would you consider driving this car and not lemoning it?
I gave them 12 attempts at fixing it and was told it's not a problem or can't duplicate. Of course they can't duplicate it by driving it down the street and back.
They get three chances now and then it gets lemoned.................that's the law in California.:blinzel: BTW...........three dealers couldn't fix it.
I bought a 06-V with that money and found that the air was being moved much better under the car and if I put my louvers down over the nav system the cold air which is on during the summer would keep the cup holder and console a lot cooler, which brings up another point, why don't we have cold cup holders like some of GM's other products.:pat:
I understand there is an issue with the heat shield under the car. Corvettes have a similar problem, although seemingly not as bad. There the aftermarket has designed a getter heat shield. I contacted the vendor to see if their part works on the XLR, I have not heard back yet. I guess I'm very fortunate to have the Rydell dealer network in my backyard to work with. These guys have been great to me.
My point on the top problem is they can be fixed, some just seem to be built with more problems than others.
Bruce

Yep, even auto workers have bad days and just don't give a darn how the car goes together.
I understand there is an issue with the heat shield under the car. Corvettes have a similar problem, although seemingly not as bad. There the aftermarket has designed a getter heat shield. I contacted the vendor to see if their part works on the XLR, I have not heard back yet. I guess I'm very fortunate to have the Rydell dealer network in my backyard to work with. These guys have been great to me.
My point on the top problem is they can be fixed, some just seem to be built with more problems than others.
Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back