Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Warning! What Not to do when you are working on your XLR!

CNC

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert
Shaking the dust off Goldie as she has pretty much been in the garage all winter and our snow is finally gone. :) Last storm that dumped 6" of the white stuff left here a little over a week ago. Life at 7,600 feet above sea level. So decided to get her totally operation for some top down Rocky Mountain Cruisin. Today hit 65* :cool: ---- First thing, the automatic trunk wouldn't work with fob, dash switch, or close with the trunk button? Yet the top would cycle up and down all the way as well as the trunk. Both fobs have new batteries in them. What's going on? Hmmm? Car battery is a 3 year old AC Delco 590CCA. Removed it and took it in to have tested. Even though I had charged it just beforehand, I was told it was too low to 'Load Test'. Leave it and we'll charge it and then Load Test it. OK Got called with this news. "Battery tests OK on load but real low on the scale. Not dead yet, but it is dying." Hmmm? OK so I bought a brand new 690CCA and installed it. Walla, trunk problems solved. Just to make sure I took it to my Cadillac Dealer, who yes does have a Certified XLR Tec on staff and a Tec 2 Scanner. Said everything is "A OK". But the sub frame radiator support skid assembly is cracked and should be replaced. Weird looking contraption made out of aluminum. So Ordered one on eBay for $299.00. Dealer wanted $590.00 and an additional $400.00 to install. Total, $990.00. Really? "If they could find the part?" Oh well. Will change it myself when it arrives. Prior owner had found lots of speed bumps even though only 35K miles. --- Then the "Stuff Happens" part. Not quite what the bumper sticker says, but one shouldn't swear, right? Got in the car with the 10mm wrench in my hip pocket with the open end part sticking up and out of my pocket and abraded the leather side bolster on the back of the driver's seat. :( Now have an appointment on the 24th at our auto upholstery shop in town. :bash: Me. --- Luckily they have The Shale Leather on hand in an exact match. :cool: They do the interiors that need work for our Cadillac Dealer. On lots of research was told that 'dyes/paint', do not work and will flake off. Oh well. Murphy was right. "If something can go wrong it will, and at the worst possible moment."

The battery shows just how sensitive these cars are to low voltage/weak batteries. Yes it is kept on a Battery Tender. Yet, their is constant parasitic battery drain with The XLR's. More so than any other car I have owned before. Maybe we should just replace the battery every 3 years?

Happy Cruisin! ;)

Some times batteries just fail even at a 1-2-3 years.... [emoji849]
Enjoy your Topless Cruz'in Time [emoji41][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I get 4 years out of a battery, I'm SUPER happy.
With my XLR, I'll be replacing it every 3 years regardless.
Nothing worse then having a battery fail when you're having fun.
It might cost me $20-$40 more every 3 years to do it but well worth the safety.

Agreed! : )

If I get 4 years out of a battery, I'm SUPER happy.
With my XLR, I'll be replacing it every 3 years regardless.
Nothing worse then having a battery fail when you're having fun.
It might cost me $20-$40 more every 3 years to do it but well worth the safety.

Totally agree with this. Good, good advice. ;) Yup, just make it an 'automatic'. Particularly on The XLR's. --- By the by, where is N/Z?

Also agree. Yup, "Stuff Happens" : )

Some times batteries just fail even at a 1-2-3 years.... [emoji849]
Enjoy your Topless Cruz'in Time [emoji41][emoji482]

Thanks, You enjoy also! Sometimes we just have to swallow and 'roll with the punches'. Always something. Just better to count our blessings, deal with the issue, and move on.

Many moons ago when I lived in Silver Spring MD I was one of the D.C. area types tramping around in PA during hunting season, but with permission and a license. Probably wasn't all that welcome adding to the heard of invaders. :rolleyes: Yet everyone was accepting and welcoming. Really pretty country

"The sub frame radiator support skid assembly is cracked and should be replaced. Weird looking contraption made out of aluminum. So Ordered one on eBay for $299.00. Dealer wanted $590.00 and an additional $400.00 to install. Total, $990.00. Really?"

Be thankful that's all it cost! The first time I did it, the dealer changed me $2500! The second time I did it (yes I know!! Those parking curbs just WILL keep jumping in my way:(!!!), I took it to my local mechanic and he simply aluminum welded everything back in place: $300.

radiator support

"The sub frame radiator support skid assembly is cracked and should be replaced. Weird looking contraption made out of aluminum. So Ordered one on eBay for $299.00. Dealer wanted $590.00 and an additional $400.00 to install. Total, $990.00. Really?"

Be thankful that's all it cost! The first time I did it, the dealer changed me $2500! The second time I did it (yes I know!! Those parking curbs just WILL keep jumping in my way:(!!!), I took it to my local mechanic and he simply aluminum welded everything back in place: $300.

Ya need buy to spend $ on a Curb Alert
031c8ca8169c2079e08068a2d9d915e0.jpg

Hmmm? Is this like buying "Cans Of Compression" or "Muffler Bearings" ?????

:dunno:
Ya need buy to spend $ on a Curb Alert
031c8ca8169c2079e08068a2d9d915e0.jpg

OK, 05 Grand Daddy, you got me. My curiosity is now running rampant. Am I being snookered here? Explain please. :cool:

OUCH ! $2,500 ? --- Jesse James at Least had the decency to carry a gun. So we knew.

I thought about welding mine up also as I do have a mig welder and would just need pure Argon Gas and Aluminum Wire to do so. So my plan is to install this brand new one myself, then weld up the old one, finish it by grinding smooth, paint it, and hold it in reserve ready to install if needed. --- Another learning curve on my part with The XLR's as this is obviously an on-going problem their being so low. I asked the Dealer XLR Tec if he knew of anyway to slightly raise the ride height? He did not. :dunno: --- Your 1st 'go around' is definitely an OUCH!

NO MORE NOSE RUBS

:dunno:

OK, 05 Grand Daddy, you got me. My curiosity is now running rampant. Am I being snookered here? Explain please. :cool:

Here ya go http://www.curb-alert.com

Keep in mind there's a few other companies out there if you just search for Curb Alerts on the internet......this is the one I bought and like it, it will sometimes go off going down the road, but other than that you can adjust it to distant of your liking, my has approxmite 16" so it gives some room to play with. Fairly easy set up wire runs though the passenger door jam into the car with small beeper, I mounted it up somewhere under the glove box area. At least since I purchased it have not rub Roxy's nose at all.....LOL

Well, Shut My Mouth. It's for real. Who knew?

Here ya go http://www.curb-alert.com

Keep in mind there's a few other companies out there if you just search for Curb Alerts on the internet......this is the one I bought and like it, it will sometimes go off going down the road, but other than that you can adjust it to distant of your liking, my has approxmite 16" so it gives some room to play with. Fairly easy set up wire runs though the passenger door jam into the car with small beeper, I mounted it up somewhere under the glove box area. At least since I purchased it have not rub Roxy's nose at all.....LOL

Thanks! I obviously had no idea this device even existed. Duh. :rolleyes: Now on my 'wish list' on eBay. Best deal $128.00 freight paid from company in Texas. Original 2nd gen 'Curb Alert'. But first, Goldie is going to get her front lower air dam repaired and repainted as well as her rocker panels (mostly caused by prior owner, yet I have some guilt on the front). As soon as this work is done, I am going to ad one of these to her nose! I think I'll do the body work and paint her lower extremities when I replace the cracked Radiator Support Skid Assembly (just arrived Saturday) and then ad The Curb Sensor. :cool:

It was one of the best accessories I added.... these front ends are hard to judge [emoji849]

Another simple option is to always back in to park, which is what I do (I actually do that for anything I drive). Rear clearance is a little better. Do I often have to hang my head out the window to be sure I don't go too far? Sure, but since I don't drive it in nasty weather I just get some extra sunshine! :thumbsup

Or set your rear view mirrors in memory mode to tilt down when you put the car into reverse...

Another simple option is to always back in to park, which is what I do (I actually do that for anything I drive). Rear clearance is a little better. Do I often have to hang my head out the window to be sure I don't go too far? Sure, but since I don't drive it in nasty weather I just get some extra sunshine! :thumbsup

Not me, I just look down at the 7" screen in the dash with the backup camera! :lol:

Good advice. : )

Mine is also 'only' a fair weather driver. We just get to wait a bit longer here for the 'fair weather' than you do. :) The Doctor in San Diego from whom I purchased my XLR was 90 at the time, and in a nursing home, His wife, Mary 86 (nice lady) had been driving it some. She had found 'lots' of speed bumps and curbs. So the damage is 'mostly inherited' and will be repaired and repainted this summer. Always something.

Hmmm? You are a 'good backer upper'. I'm not : )

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll ad the curb alert. On a different subject, to learn from many experienced XLR Pros on this site I try to read all the threads of problems and repairs that various owners have experienced. I read one thread the other day (which Rob closed because it got contentious) on the cost of XLR rear end parts. In particular the regular lower rear tail lamps. Shocking what they cost! Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay. Clean used ones for right at $3,000.00 each. Ugh! :( Not trying to open old argument or wounds here from that thread, but you really don't want to get rear ended! Danny in Chicago, who bought my old high mount tail lamp had to rebuild the back of his XLR because he was rear ended. I think his insurance company totaled the car at that time. He bought it back. What would have been an relatively normal repair on any other car. At that time, I had a hard time comprehending this. No longer. I believe he subsequently sold the XLR. He has a beautiful 1958 Corvette in his garage. As in 'mint'. :cool: FYI.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom