Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

E&G Grille or ?

mark109

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR / 2009 Black Escalade ESV
I really do like the look of upper/lower grilles on the V model. Been thinkin' about replacing factory grille on my '06 XLR with E&G Mesh. Has anyone done this? Are happy you did it? Do you recommend the E&G version or an alternative grille?
Thanks!

The problem with replacing the lower grille with a mesh one is the adaptable portion of the cruise won't work anymore... the radar can't read the cars in front of you through the mesh. I agree that the mesh grilles do look sharp, though.

Rod

Thanks for replying.
I'm aware of the cruise sensor issue. If I go with EG's grille then I probably won't spring for their lower grille anyways because it doesn't extend across the front-end like the factory V version does and my guess is EG's lower grille would be hidden by my registration plate. Wondering if I should go with E&G grille or another type.

No way would I have a front plate on my V. I had the holds filled in and bumper painted.
If I get a ticket it's only a fix it ticket which means I Velcro it on, bring it to a local DMV station, pay ten bucks and go home and take it off.
Thanks for replying.
I'm aware of the cruise sensor issue. If I go with EG's grille then I probably won't spring for their lower grille anyways because it doesn't extend across the front-end like the factory V version does and my guess is EG's lower grille would be hidden by my registration plate. Wondering if I should go with E&G grille or another type.

No way would I have a front plate on my V. I had the holds filled in and bumper painted.
If I get a ticket it's only a fix it ticket which means I Velcro it on, bring it to a local DMV station, pay ten bucks and go home and take it off.

I hear you!!! Here in Massachusetts if you get ticketed for not having a front plate, you'll pay $335.......$35 for the ticket and pay roughly an extra $50 towards you're auto insurance each year for up to 6 years. If you continue to violate the stupid front plate law then you'll pay even higher insurance premiums and risk losing your license. I refuse to give more cash to the wasteful state government and I'm not ready to leave my Family for another state with more reasonable motor vehicle laws.......therefore I have a Red Sox Children's Charity plate on the front of my XLR.
By the way, you own a beautiful XLR model......sounds like you're taking good care of her. Enjoy!

V Grill

Thanks to Chad (popbigguy) I replaced just the top grill on my XLR so I still have my ACC and I love the looks of the V grill. Most people on the forum know I put 10,000 miles on mine last year making three long trips and the ACC sure is nice to have on the Interstates. I have had long talks with my dealer about buying an 09 but with only 17,000 miles on mine and it looks the way I want it I am going to keep it until I am no longer able to drive and that should be about another 25 years from now.

Thanks to Chad (popbigguy) I replaced just the top grill on my XLR so I still have my ACC and I love the looks of the V grill. Most people on the forum know I put 10,000 miles on mine last year making three long trips and the ACC sure is nice to have on the Interstates. I have had long talks with my dealer about buying an 09 but with only 17,000 miles on mine and it looks the way I want it I am going to keep it until I am no longer able to drive and that should be about another 25 years from now.
Same here. Can't justify trading my '06 in either. Only have about 12k miles on it.... had 6k on it when I bought it last May. A seasonal vehicle here in the snowy northeast. Can't wait 'til April to disconnect battery tender and hit the road again. I ended up liking the magnetic ride suspension in my XLR so much that I just purchased an '09 Escalade ESV with MSR. Rides very smooth.
Appears forum members have no objections to the E&G upper grille so that's what I'll plan to go with. Thanks!

Grill

Yep, I like the mesh grill also. I like the looks of it. Cadillac should have put it on all of the X's out of the factory. They just missed the boat. Yet GM put's the mesh grill on much cheaper models. Go figure. :(

I really do like the look of upper/lower grilles on the V model. Been thinkin' about replacing factory grille on my '06 XLR with E&G Mesh. Has anyone done this? Are happy you did it? Do you recommend the E&G version or an alternative grille?
Thanks!

I agree with your comment but I'm sure different grilles were intended to give each model separate identities. Besides, the V model deserves to have it's own unique identity given what's under the hood.
And i'm not trying make my non-V appear to be a V model.....I just happen to like the look of the mesh grille better than the grille I have.
Stay well.

One of our friends in Germany by the name of Hans has an 04, I sold him my stock rims on my 06-V he then put the V badges and the supercharged on it with the V grill and Corsa exhaust and still looks like a V except for the hood.................where are you Hans, we miss you.
I agree with your comment but I'm sure different grilles were intended to give each model separate identities. Besides, the V model deserves to have it's own unique identity given what's under the hood.
And i'm not trying make my non-V appear to be a V model.....I just happen to like the look of the mesh grille better than the grille I have.
Stay well.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back